PDA

View Full Version : First walkcycle

dougie0047
11-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi guys,

this is the very first walkcycle of any kind that I've done, and I'm open for comments and critique. Aside from a couple of minor things it looks ok to me, but perhaps you who are more experienced can see a number of issues that I can't?

Also, if you have some general tips and trick on how to create good walkcycles that you can share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here's the link: http://www.speedyshare.com/161321237.html

Cheers!

Dougie

jpa
11-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Hey Dougie,

I am still a newbie as well so all I can give you is a pure observational crit. One thing I am noticing is that the when your character moves his legs forward they kind of snap forward at the knee. I am not sure how to fix this other than maybe not having the knee jet out so far when he walks forward. I am sure other members will have better advice as far as how to make it more fluid. Doesn't look too bad to me for a first walk, keep going and hopefully I'll have my first walk up there soon as well.

jpa
-

dougie0047
11-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Hey Dougie,

I am still a newbie as well so all I can give you is a pure observational crit. One thing I am noticing is that the when your character moves his legs forward they kind of snap forward at the knee. I am not sure how to fix this other than maybe not having the knee jet out so far when he walks forward. I am sure other members will have better advice as far as how to make it more fluid. Doesn't look too bad to me for a first walk, keep going and hopefully I'll have my first walk up there soon as well.

jpa
-

Thanks for your crit jpa! Yes I've noticed the thing about the knees as well. I kind of wanted the character to kind of "stamp" his feet down just a little bit, and therefore I brought the feet a bit further forward, so he could put his feet straight down onto the ground, and I believe it has something to do with that.

I can really recommend the character rig, it's very easy and intuitive to work with, so try it out. It called BasicGuy by the way.

Cheers!

Dougie

jpa
11-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Cool, where did you get the rig from?

jpa
-

NathanHibberdCATK
11-11-2006, 11:25 PM
First off it would be easier to critique with renders of the front and side views as well with still cameras, rather than just a constantly orbiting camera.

From the looks of it there doesn't seem to be much up and down motion, which should help to make it look more natural.

Also, I'd recommend that when the feet pick up, you have them lift higher off the ground and rotate them so the toes point more towards the ground, since the way they are it looks like they're just scraping across the floor when they move forward.

Overall, very good for a first time walk cycle.

celo3d
11-12-2006, 01:03 AM
Hey Dougie,

This is a really nice start. From my first look, I can tell that you might wanna think about putting more of an up and down motion in the root of the character. That way, it gets rid of the floatiness of the walk cycle. Also watch out for the passing position, the feet should go up more at this point and the toes should be pointing more towards the floor. The feet seems to be dragging after the contact positions.

But I like that overlapping motion with his head.

Keep it up!

bishtmahesh
11-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Hey Dougie,

Nice startn gud render:) look like ur charcater is walking in some other planet like moon....fix his feet....give some seconday motion to his arm n body......just follow ASK u wil get every thing there....

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Mahesh

dougie0047
11-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Cool, where did you get the rig from?

jpa
-

I'll just repeat what I just wrote in another post: At highend3D: http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downl..._rigs/4284.html (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/character_rigs/4284.html)

There are other free rigs there as well, but the "Basic Guy" seemed like the best one for me. It's currently top ranked, which of course means that I'm not the only one who liked it. Be sure to read the instructions for it, as it has some really cool extra features.

Something else about it: It is stretchable, which is just super, but one thing that confused me to begin with was that the geometry has two levels of display, high and low. So, you might find that when you stretch the limbs (or even when just moving them normally) the geometry appears segmented and "comes off". All you need to do is to go to the BG Global node (I think) and in your channel box you will have the opportunity to switch from low to high level of display.

Enjoy!

@ NathanHibberdCATK and celo3d: Thank you very much for your critique. I had not noticed that the character doesn't move enough up and down, so that's a good one to try out the next time. Same for the feet.

Edit: Oh, and about the render. The camera fly through was really just another thing I wanted to try out, like trying to kill two birds with one stone. Next time I'll definitely set up several stationary cameras and do static shots (as well).

Thanks again.

Dougie

Dougie

dougie0047
11-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Hey Dougie,

Nice startn gud render:) look like ur charcater is walking in some other planet like moon....fix his feet....give some seconday motion to his arm n body......just follow ASK u wil get every thing there....

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Mahesh

Thanks for you comment bishtmahesh! What do you mean when you say secondary motion? What kind of motion?

Dougie

lebada
11-13-2006, 08:46 PM
- knees are snapping forward

- arms go flapping back in small movements...should be a flowing arc, not forced
- your feet are leading with toes, not with heel...it should be the other way around
- when you step, whole body should go slightly down...he stays at the same height roughly

so:

1. make ur movements glide, not snap (ARCs)
2. think of the weight when switching feet for steps
3. heel always leads foot, wrist leads hand,etc unless its a robotic move(generally speaking)

dougie0047
11-13-2006, 08:59 PM
- knees are snapping forward

- arms go flapping back in small movements...should be a flowing arc, not forced
- your feet are leading with toes, not with heel...it should be the other way around
- when you step, whole body should go slightly down...he stays at the same height roughly

so:

1. make ur movements glide, not snap (ARCs)
2. think of the weight when switching feet for steps
3. heel always leads foot, wrist leads hand,etc unless its a robotic move(generally speaking)

Thanks for the comments Buggy166,

what exactly do you mean when you say "leading"? I'm a bit confused about that one.

Cheers!

Dougie

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2006, 08:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.