PDA

View Full Version : maya cloth vs syflex

techmage
11-11-2006, 05:26 AM
I'm doing some research into which one I should invest time into and will get me the most realistic results. Maya is my primary app, so maya cloth would be ideal. But I have never seen maya cloth be used in any high end productions. Syflex seems to dominate that market. So I am just wondering, is this just my misconception? Or is syflex really superior? Are their any feature length films that used maya cloth?

thomwickes
11-11-2006, 05:31 AM
yeah. syflex is better.

faultymoose
11-11-2006, 07:14 AM
In my opinion, Maya Cloth is more powerful, with the potential for more realistic results... however it's much more difficult to GET good results from, and it's sloooooow.

Pyrokinesis
11-18-2006, 08:41 AM
I am working on a project with cloth now and I must agree, if you are willing to put in the time, Maya is a better way to go. Syflex seems to give good results quickly, but with maya you can get much better colissions, and cloth behavior.

If you go with syflex, I would invest in digital tutors syflex tutes, they include a great script to speed up your workflow. If you go with Maya Cloth, then autodesk has a couple videos, and books, as well as Gnomons cloth 101.

As always, though I hate to admit it the docs are a great source. I chose to go with Maya, and because i do dynamics it wasnt that big of a leap to learn how the cloth engine works.

Good Luck

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2006, 08:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.