PDA

View Full Version : Spectral Clouds

iloco
11-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Can someone tell me how to get the spectral clouds in Vue 6 to look like they are hovering below a mountain top.
I know you can do this with metablob clouds but I have yet been able to figure out what it takes to do as the sample scene in Vue 6 called "Peaking through".
I have looked at that scene all day and still can not get my spectral clouds to do as in that scene when making a new scene.
Ivan if you see this maybe a small tut on this. It would be greatly appreciated.

The manual is useless for explaining how to use the new features in Vue 6.

mwalter1
11-11-2006, 01:18 AM
Create the atmosphere. Create a terrain. Zoom way out till you see a gray bar that represents the cloud layer (side view worked the best). Now make your mountain tall enough to peak through the gray bar. Move the camera around and render.

Hope that helps!

iloco
11-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the information.
I was trying to find a way to lower the cloud plane instead of moving my terrian up into or above it. :)
Now to learn how to tweek the clouds and terrian so it has realistic looking edges where the clouds meet the terrian. :)

bruno021
11-13-2006, 04:00 PM
In my experience, you really need to stretch the terrain to the Vue world limits to get the effect right. check Eran's scene on the extra cd scenes ( if you were able to download them, btw!), you'll see his terrain is huge. you can alway lower the cloud layer, but even if it's set to 1 meter ( you'll have to figure out the feet), it's still not right.

IvanB
11-14-2006, 12:33 AM
iIoco,

Another way to do it is to go to the cloud panel and add another spectral cloud and set the altitude (i think it is..the two top sliders) down to about 5 to 10 meters or so..play around (you will probably have to type the distance in)..that way you dont have to streach the terrain to a massive size.
One other way is to add metacloud i think its called and position it around your terrain....

I'm going to make some videos on this.

Sorry if my explanation is a bit vague..im at work dont have vue infront of me.

Ivan.

Wabe
11-14-2006, 06:44 AM
Strange - why not using the simple solution? Lower the altitude of your cloud level. It is in the cloud tab of the atmosphere.

Ok, method. Create/select a spectral atmosphere.

Go to the atmosphere editor and to the cloud tab. There create a layer or modify an existing one. Play with the altitude there - and the thickness maybe.

Remeber, for values under 100m you need to enter the values manually - but it is no problem at all. And make the layer thick - it looks better.

IvanB
11-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Hi All,

Heres a simple video of adding Low clouds, and changing from meters to feet.

http://www.esnips.com/web/Low-Clouds

Ivan.

iloco
11-14-2006, 05:55 PM
You the man Ivan. I can see Vue 6 users are going to have fun with the program using your easy to use tutorials.
Thanks very much for your tutorials.

wabe I did try as you said but didnt have any luck. Something I am doing wrong I guess.
I was able to raise the terrian above the cloud plane and get a decent render of what I was wanting. :)

Drag-N
11-18-2006, 02:53 PM
I just want to comment this one because when I tried doing this myself, it didnt work. I cant lower my clouds (they're always in the background). Neither can I measure sizes with meters (I don't have that in my options like in the video tutorial).

I use Vue 5 Infinite.. What am I doing wrong?

Wabe
11-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Nothing wrong. Both features are new in Vue 6 Infinite. No wonder that you can't find them in 5 Infinite.

Blaine91555
11-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Just wanted to thank Ivan for the tut.

IvanB
11-25-2006, 05:45 AM
Your Welcome Blaine.

alvin-cgi
12-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi guys, wondering how fast the rendering speed on meta clouds, Spectral clouds and volumetric? For instance like A4 side? Acceptable speed? Thanks:)

rgdigital
12-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Another way to do this would be adding Metaclouds engulfing your terrain -they'll give you much more control for local puffs around the terrain. Here's my first attempt at this. The cloud texture needs work as does the color of the grass eco, but it's a start.

rgdigital
12-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Alvin: The render times for Spectral atmos. are very reasonable, given the results. Things like Godrays, volumetric sunlight and all increase render times, but so does AO and Radiosity.

alvin-cgi
12-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Alvin: The render speeds for Spectral atmos. is very reasonable, given the results. Things like Godrays, volumetric sunlight and all increase render times, but so does AO and Radiosity.

Thanks rgdigital,
Nice image you have attached.:) looks promising.

Do you mind do a few tests on with or without i.e.volumetric, AO etc, and write down the rendering time etc?:D Much appreacited:scream:

Thanks

ps. what is your machine spec?

rgdigital
12-06-2006, 05:19 PM
For the new atmosphere model witht the realistic clouds, you have to use the Spectral Atmostphere setting. <check the attachment> I assume volumetric is built into it.

I'll do some tests in a bit. I'll re-render that scene at 320x200 at default Final settings.

with spectral on, and global ambience (default scene setup) -the quickest
with spectral on, and AO on -longer
with spectral on, and GI on -longer still

I'm on a first gen. 1.8ghz single G5, with 3.5gb RAM and an old Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 card wth 64mb RAM.

I'll repost when I get the data.

alvin-cgi
12-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks rgdigital, you are wonderful.:scream:

This would help me to make decision quicker!:) $$! Look forward to those data.

Thanks

rgdigital
12-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Here are some simple tests. I didn't have time to finish the AO and GI renders with God Rays on, but I did do a Global Ambience render with them on to give some comparison.

alvin-cgi
12-08-2006, 04:00 AM
Here are some simple tests. I didn't have time to finish the AO and GI renders with God Rays on, but I did do a Global Ambience render with them on to give some comparison.

Thanks rgdigital, appreciated your results here, looks good.:)
I think I wll buy it but may be wait a little while till Terrange 2 out next week and see what happens.:)

alvin-cgi
12-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Is 15th here in NZ... Terragen 2 Technology Preview soon...:)

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2006, 08:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.