PDA

View Full Version : noise controler for maya

olcho
11-10-2006, 11:28 PM
just finished a really simple but a rather useful (I hope) script for adding a noise controller for maya objects - ever wanted to make a really quick camera shake and have all the controls youd need (almost like in MAX)?

Sometimes despite the enoromus flexibility of MAYA, there are some so simple things that would make our lives a lot easier and seem so obvious, that i wonder why they haven't been put into it yet.

anyway, here's a little brief on what it does:

adds basically 2 control Dummies - simple poly cubes with no shader, so that they don't render.

Dummy 1 (bigger) is actually the main control object. it also contains the controls for the noise on all 3 axis on translate, rotate and scale :)
for each control you have 4 attributes:
*multiplierX,Y,Z - does what it says. if you don't want any noise - set it to 0 (default)
*frequencyX,Y,Z - no need to explain
*offsetX,Y,Z - offsets the noise. Since every expression I used is the same, I had to put something to make the noise look different in each axis
*above0_X,Y,Z - it's an On Off switch. If you want the noise to be only above 0, turn that on and keep the multiplier > 0. if you want it to be below 0, turn that switch On and keep the multiplier < 0;

now since there are controls for the rotate and scale as well, i tried to keep things a bit cleaner, because otherwise you would have to deal with quite a lot of attributes simultaniously. I added a Noise attribute, which has 3 options - Translate, Rotate and Scale. Turn on whichever you want to control. There is only one drawback to this - all the parameters of the noise have a keyframe at frame 0. so if you want to play with the parameters and not animate them, you have to change them either at frame 0 or in the graph editor.:D

if there's a second version of this, I guess I'll try to improve that.

the second dummy simply holds the noise expressions. It's hidden and you don't really need to do anything with it.

One other thing that i added is that if the object you want to add the noise to already has animation on it, it is automatically transfered to the control object.

well, I guess that wraps it. Hope it helps and you'll find it useful. feel free to do whatever you want with it.

the name of the script is addNoiseControler.mel. source it, select an object and run addNoiseControler()

you should be able to put it on as many objects as you want simultaniously. if u run into problems, say so and i can try to fix tem.

enjoy

olcho
11-11-2006, 12:16 AM
just fixed a little bug with parented objects....

olcho
11-11-2006, 03:36 AM
here's the improved version as promised

Katzenminze
12-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi, I wanted to try out your script (I've been searching for something like that for ages^^)
But I can't get it to work ...
I open the script editor, source your script(tryed to open it aswell) i select an object and hit execute but nothing happens no controllers are created just nothing...

what am i doing wrong?

(im using maya 7.0) please help me :)

Thx

olcho
12-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi, I wanted to try out your script (I've been searching for something like that for ages^^)
But I can't get it to work ...
I open the script editor, source your script(tryed to open it aswell) i select an object and hit execute but nothing happens no controllers are created just nothing...

what am i doing wrong?

(im using maya 7.0) please help me :)

Thx

executing the script only allows you to use it. Select the Object and in the Script Editor type:
addNoiseControler

Sorry if I didn't mention that in the explanation. Tell me if you have any problems.

Katzenminze
12-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Hi, thx for the reply, works fine now!
hope, i'll get familiar with it :)

could you give me an advice on what inputs i should use to create a handcamera-like-feeling? i want to add the noise to a moving camera but it just should not look as stiff/mechanical as it does in maya
i want to create some realistic feeling of someone holding the cam and walking with it/or just holding it/ or a camera moving on a railroad-thingy they use in films ^^ dont know what the english word ...

Hope you can help me again :)

but thanks for the plugin; finally someone came up with a tool for that !

bye

tbaypaul
12-13-2006, 03:20 AM
"could you give me an advice on what inputs"

old lady filming at Christmas is about 55, 55, 55, straight across for translation frequency, with scale set to about 1...

olcho
12-13-2006, 02:04 PM
to make a handheld camera animation using automatic techniques such as this is not always the best solution. It all depends really on your animation. If the person holding the camera is walking, then you would get a swinging motion (rotating form left to right), as well as up and down. the trick is, that you have to synchronize it with the "walk" if you want to make it look realistic. If the person holding the camera is running, the the swinging would be much faster. So I guess you'd have to play with it a bit - frequency and multiplier mostly....

For best results, I'd try to do it manually.

OllieDunn
01-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks a million olcho! i have been looking for something like this to get camera shake. It works perfectly. Has saved me loads of time:)

Thanks again...

Ol

Joanimation
01-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Hey man!

Thanks for the script. It runs smooth and nicely. I'll put it to good use.

Juan

olcho
01-21-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm glad you find it useful. If there's something you'd like to improve in it, let me know.
:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2007, 07:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.