PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy at Sunset

thatoneguy
11-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Technically this is isn't exactly a matte painting, it's a compositing project with matte paintings in it, but at this stage in the game, I'm just doing the composite more for the purposes of tests/practice than actual finished produducts. This is a frame grab from Combustion. I'm also using Photoshop (who doesn't) for miscellaneous things.

The lens flare is a little weird right now because I decided that I didn't like the horizontal flare being as large as it was and I painted out a great deal of it. so I apologize for that being a little rough, Next version I'll go back to the original composite and do my adjustments there so that it's clean. (Yes I do paintovers on my own work when I'm lazy :)

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n134/im_thatoneguy/skymatte4.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n134/im_thatoneguy/Sky.jpg

I would really appreciate crits and feedback. This'll eventually be a part of a larger project, but this is the epic, old western establishing shot. Which I'm still trying to decide whether I want to do as:

1) Full practical photography on 35mm
2) Full CG shot on a greenscreen (What it is right now, well, technically a white screen)
3) Sky Replacement with matte enhancements.

Right now, I think it still looks really CG, which I'm not happy with and will probably abandon it if I can't make it look more authentic. Perhaps super epic and naturalistic aren't compatible, but I would like to believe they are.

Thanks.

rambhat
11-11-2006, 05:55 AM
The matte looks terrific!
However, I agree with you on the lens flare. It's way too dominating right now. It's also making the coloring on the left tree completely separated. Not to mention hurting the nice colors on your clouds that you've established on your matte. I think toning it down would serve the shot greatly. Good luck with the final, I'm sure whichever way you go will look great!

everlite
11-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Hey looking nice, i like the bottom shot, be nice to see more of this comped into the first, so i agree that the lens flare is way to big.

- Dave.

Wizdoc
11-11-2006, 02:36 PM
That shot seems to look great even without the lens flare altogether.

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2006, 02:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.