PDA

View Full Version : z compose in combustion

spheratu
02-09-2003, 03:42 AM
hi,is there a way to have in combustion something similar to the zcompose node from shake?
Can I use my zchannel to do something more than just depth of field and fog?
thanks

lux
02-09-2003, 10:32 PM
In the 3D Post filter menu is the Show G Buffer operator. This will you display your depth as a gray scale image. From there you can use it to replace alpha, cut masks, etc. It does not allow you to do exactly like zdepth layering in shake but it is better than nothing.

Lux

GrantKay
02-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Hi,

You can actually do Z-depth compositing in combustion.

If you import your RLA or RPF file into combustion. With the layer selected, select the Layer options and select an option called 3D Depth. You will need to adjust the scale and offset sliders for z-depth to match it to combustion's z-depth.

You then import in other layers and you will be able to composite other layers in the Z-depth Channel of the RLA or RPF without a problem

Regards
Grant

Discreet UK

spheratu
02-10-2003, 01:49 PM
I use maya iff format with the z channel embeded there.No rpf,no rla.any ideas?

GrantKay
02-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Hi,

For Combustion 2.1, only the RLA files written by MAX are fully supported. RLA files written by Maya use a different header format which causes combustion to read only the image from the file. The G-Buffer info will not be read. This includes the Z-depth information.

Regards
Grant

discreet UK

dmeyer
02-11-2003, 12:51 AM
hey Grant, can I make a feature request for some more flexible RLA/RPF support? A large portion of the Maya community would probably get more into c2 due to it's lower cost than shake if this was more of a priority.

lux
02-11-2003, 03:49 AM
I have been using the Z info in a maya iff image on my current professional project. The 3D fog, 3D lens flare, and show G buffer work.

After the post about the 3D depth setting I found it worked but have not tried it to the point of breaking production.

I did find that testing two sphere it worked but the overlapping edge had terrible aliasing. I think that is the fault of the Maya z bufffer and not C2.

All told, I would love a more open RLA support or a Maya Generated RPF. I don't think that either company is going to be quick to adopt either side. Maybe it could be written as a custom file type for Mental Ray.

Anyhow, the combo of Maya and Combustion though handicapped has been phenominal.

Kaiser_Sose
02-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by GrantKay
Hi,

For Combustion 2.1, only the RLA files written by MAX are fully supported. RLA files written by Maya use a different header format which causes combustion to read only the image from the file. The G-Buffer info will not be read. This includes the Z-depth information.

Regards
Grant

discreet UK

LW also renders these file formats ... do you know if combustion can read all the header information from LW renders

spheratu
02-11-2003, 03:54 PM
I hope it'll be fixed in the next service pack,I feel better with combustion than shake
thanks

GrantKay
02-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Hi,

I am going to answer everyone one at a time:

Dmeyer, I have already submitted a request to improve support for the RPF/RLA. You must remember that the information embedded in these files are actually limited by their formats, not by combustion. As the RPF format improves, we'll request more functionality.

Lux, My previous post was a quote from the release notes of 2.1. If these features actually work with the iff file then I will be interest to take a look at a few IFF files, would you mind zipping some basic ones up and sending them to me ?

As for the anti-aliasing, I do believe it is the animation package at fault here. In max we render out the "Coverage" Channel to help smooth out this problem but it does not always work. It depends on the type of animation.

The best way to request that combustion support a file format is to tell me what file it is and a sample of it to send to our development teams. But I want to make it clear that I am making no promises as to what will be support in the future, I only make requests and suggestions.

Kaiser_Sose, as far as I am aware they should. However once again if you are willing to send me a few RLA frames and RPF frames from Lightwave, I would be more then willing to test them for you. The more formats we support, the more merrier it will be for all the users but we need your help.

spheratu, there are lots of things we would like to be implemented and improved and with time and patience we hope they will be.

Regards
Grant

Discreet UK

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.