PDA

View Full Version : Alfa chanel or something....

VSLX
02-09-2003, 01:11 AM
Hello guys,
I'm wondering how to make an animation, export it in any movie format and to have "alfa" chanel.
I don't know how to call this actually, but I'm sure you know what I mean. When I render stills I use alfa chanel because on that way I don't have to mask/delete the background or whatever I don't need in the image, when composing in Photoshop.

In this case I want to know how to implement the same technique just with animation, instead of stills.

I'm using After Effects and Combustion... and I'm new in this...

Thanx in advance...

Tommi
02-09-2003, 10:37 AM
After Effects is able to load, view and use image sequences (a bunch of still images in any format like TGA, TIFF, PNG...). Most of these formats support the alpha channel.

VSLX
02-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Ok then... what's the best for use?
I use TIFF usually...

Is it ok?

Tommi
02-10-2003, 07:28 PM
TIFF is fine, as well as TGA. Both are RLE compressed. RLE means "Run Length Encoded", that's a technique which causes no quality loss like JPG/PNG or GIF. So never ever use JPG for your animations!

gmask
02-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by VSLX

I'm wondering how to make an animation, export it in any movie format and to have "alfa" chanel.

BTW it's alpha channel not "alfa" channel. You can also refer to this channel as a matte.

Tiff format is fine.

Quicktime "animation" and "none/uncompressed" codecs can be 32bit and thus contain alpha channel. I think uncompressed AVI's can contain alpha channel information.

Kaiser_Sose
02-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by gmask

Quicktiem "animation"

Quicktime not Quicktiem :p

gmask
02-10-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Kaiser_Sose
Quicktime not Quicktiem :p

There's a difference between typos and spelling errors I make both often but I know that an alpha channel has nothing to do with "our gang".. IE Alfalfa channels :wavey:

Kaiser_Sose
02-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Grammar too ...

There should be a period after the ' s ' in errors or at least a comma after make

Just having some fun ... just pointing out mistakes to someone whom did it first :beer: :wavey:

gmask
02-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Kaiser_Sose
Just having some fun ... just pointing out mistakes to someone whom did it first

So what are all those periods in you got in there for .. I was trying to help the guy not be pedantic.

VSLX
02-11-2003, 07:19 PM
Ok... thanx.. ALFA chanel iz awsom :airguitar

BTW. What's wrong with my grammar?:thumbsup:

dg
02-12-2003, 07:02 AM
You can use QuickTime Animation (Uncompressed) at the best quality, and don't forget to activate the RGBA in AE render settings.

ScottJenkins
02-12-2003, 07:07 AM
I find it better to render to individual targas instead of quicktime, because if the render crashes on you for any reason, you can start it up at the last frame. If you render to any movie format (quicktime or avi) and the computer crashes at that last frame, you've got to do the whole thing over again.

Good Luck!

:beer:

young_william
02-12-2003, 07:50 AM
make shure you have frame padding though (001,010 instead of 1,10 for example) because some programs, like windows os, will not put the images in the right order or won't let you import them into the timeline. you can add padding with fcheck (comes with maya) or probably some other program, so don't worry if you forget to do it, you don't need to re-render. both combustion and after effects will accept image sequences. you can also use quicktime pro to convert image sequences into movie files

VSLX
02-12-2003, 10:45 PM
Yeah.. I agree about the rendering...
I'll try both.

Thanx guys

dg
02-12-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by ScottJenkins
[B]I find it better to render to individual targas instead of quicktime, because if the render crashes...

Man I couldn't agree more with you, I just use movies for sending short animation to editng system because for me is easier to send over the network, for 3D renderings I always use file sequence, wich allows you to even stop your render process and restar later, and is much more secure in crash situations.

See Ya! :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.