PDA

View Full Version : Incredible Hulk to hit theaters in June 27, 2008

ChewyPixels
11-09-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. Sounds much more appealing than Ang Lee's version.

http://www.marvel.com/news/moviestories.729

cookepuss
11-09-2006, 01:29 PM
My birthday. Yay! :)

Breed47
11-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Yyyyyiiiihaaaaaaa! Announced on my birthday! Hope itīll be the same green dude as the last time. But also more speed. Didnīt like to wait 43 min. to see him transform into our green pal.

havokzprodigy
11-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Yes I just hope they don't butcher it like last time around.

krisr
11-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Isn't a little weird to release another Hulk film right after the previous one? Am I missing something? The last one wasn't great but it wasn't so bad that it would warrant a complete redo a few years later.

Romero
11-09-2006, 03:24 PM
So could be good news IF......

-The Hulk actually talks.
-He can't jump a mile in the air....worst part of the last one for me.
-He doesn't take almost an hour to show up as Hulk and not Bruce.
I hope this movie does its justice cause the Hulk is one of my fav characters but after seeing the last one I couldn't help but feel a little dissappointed.

Skepticle but optomistic.

ParamountCell
11-09-2006, 03:31 PM
I didnt mind the last, hulk although they did take a few liberties. I dont think that hulk should talk either, at times so much can be expressed with just facial expressions and actions, At times I dont like the idea of hulks vocabulary being limited to phrases like , "me Hulk, you bad man, Hulk smash bad man," I would rather he didnt say anything at all, and spoke with his actions.

Kai01W
11-09-2006, 03:55 PM
just another comic adaption+remake of a just a few years old movie?

give me a break. Maybe one should make a remake of King Kong. Oh wait...

-k

sacslacker
11-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Well lets hope it's similar to Batman Begins where it's like "Another Hulk, wtf... .HOLY CRAP THAT WAS GREAT"

Also, I really hope they don't over do the muscle simulation because, in my opinion, that last hulk jiggled just a tad too much. I mean the dude is super human, rock hard muscle. Let's not make him look flabby. I get enough of that at the gym.

rieber477
11-09-2006, 04:14 PM
For some reasons I have to admit I enjoyed the first Hulk. I usually hate this kind of movies (Fantastic 4, Batman Begins... crap, crap, crap), but on Hulk I was someway impressed by some spectacular shots, maybe the funny but working way the Hulk himself is animated, the try to get a deeper characterization of the green one than in the most part of this kind of films, and of course the performance of Jennifer Connely, who is always great.

:)

aaraaf
11-09-2006, 04:29 PM
I really enjoyed Ang Lee's version. And I was completely happy to see him jumping... it's actually the only thing I absolutely wanted to see in the movie! :)

If they're re-making recent super hero movies that just didn't hit the mark... how about Daredevil? How can you take what's arguably the most heart felt and hurting story (Daredevil and Elektra) and make it trite and then wonder why everyone hates it?

I loved the panels in the Hulk... and the tempo was just awesome. An hour in was okay with me. I felt like Ang Lee nailed his turmoil and it had rock solid cinematography. If he talks, keep it like the books... a little simple but capable of semi complex thoughts and a little more robust than "Hulk get angry!!! Hulk smash!!!"

grimmer
11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
I really enjoyed Ang Lee's version. And I was completely happy to see him jumping... it's actually the only thing I absolutely wanted to see in the movie! :)

If they're re-making recent super hero movies that just didn't hit the mark... how about Daredevil? How can you take what's arguably the most heart felt and hurting story (Daredevil and Elektra) and make it trite and then wonder why everyone hates it?

I loved the panels in the Hulk... and the tempo was just awesome. An hour in was okay with me. I felt like Ang Lee nailed his turmoil and it had rock solid cinematography. If he talks, keep it like the books... a little simple but capable of semi complex thoughts and a little more robust than "Hulk get angry!!! Hulk smash!!!"

Right on the money aaraaf!

I just bought the Hulk DVD the other day. First thing I did was watch the commentary of both Ang Lee and Stan Lee (Holy Crank are they brothers??? ).
It is utterly amazing to me how much of a bold yet wise decision it was to select Ang, a film maker who places the importance of the human condition above all else.
After all, Marvel super heroes are human in terms of behavior and motivation.

Movies like the X-Men, Daredevil, F-4 and the like are the most shallow interpretations of the marvel universe possible. I personally as a viewer (and a human:) ) find it a lot easier to relate to a strong story driven by emotional drama rather then mindless juvenile one liners and fireballs.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the action! I get excited like a 5 year old when I see the Hulk going ballistic in the tank fight, But I'm sick of paying good money to see an FX demoreel on the big screen Which this next hulk is likely to be.

Please let me be wrong :)

Cheers

cookepuss
11-09-2006, 05:22 PM
I'll agree that Elektra was utter garbage. Aside from Terrance Stamp, the movie was just unwatchable.

I do feel that Daredevil, while not spectacular, is not the great car wreck that fanboys make it out to be. Is it a comic masterpiece? By no stretch of the imagination. Granted, I would've like to have seen a more true to original version of the Kingpin, as well as maybe casting Matt Damon as DD instead of his budy Ben. However, it is a decent enough diversion.

As far as the Hulk goes, I'm all in favor of this reboot. Ang Lee totally went off the path. First off, Bana was woefully miscast in the Banner role. Banner's supposed to be meak and mild mannered, something that Bana is not. I always imagine him as a wirey dork - the like of which could easily be played by Depp or Buscemi. More over, reworking Hulk's origin to make his father the Absorbing man was just ill conceived. At times, it seemed that the movie couldn't decide if it wanted to please fans of the 70's TV show or fans of the comic. Lastly, was it really necessary to wait so long to reveal the Hulk in all of his smashing glory? Its one thing to build up the drama, but its something else to have that build up be little more than boring filler.

I'd happily forget that Ang Lee's version existed.

Movies like the X-Men, Daredevil, F-4 and the like are the most shallow interpretations of the marvel universe possible. I personally as a viewer (and a human:) ) find it a lot easier to relate to a strong story driven by emotional drama rather then mindless juvenile one liners and fireballs.
There's something to be said for being able to put your brain in neutral though. Summer blockbusters are the purest form of escapism. I personally enjoy a mindless movie now and again. I wouldn't necessarily call X-Men or FF shallow. You really have to understand that cramming 40 years of continuity into 90 minutes is just impossible. Plus, when trying to give these properties mass market appeal, they have to paint in somewhat broader strokes. Are they 100% faithful? No. That doesn't make them any less fun. With a few exceptions, I've found that most of the recent comic adaptations have been "good enough". You just have to gag & tie up your inner fanboy to enjoy them. :)

krisr
11-09-2006, 06:28 PM
I don't know....this movie is going to have be really friggin good to convince people who probably still have their receipts from the last Hulk film to go dish out another hard earned fist full of cash to see this new one. I just think its too soon. Its one thing if its a sequel but its not right? This is a whole new film from what I gather.

Squash-n-Stretch
11-09-2006, 06:45 PM
For some reasons I have to admit I enjoyed the first Hulk. I usually hate this kind of movies (Fantastic 4, Batman Begins... crap, crap, crap), but on Hulk I was someway impressed by some spectacular shots, maybe the funny but working way the Hulk himself is animated, the try to get a deeper characterization of the green one than in the most part of this kind of films, and of course the performance of Jennifer Connely, who is always great.

:)

You prefered monstrous CG poodles to a spectacular Batman film, and a film with Jessica Alba in it?

Each to their own I guess.

ThirdEye
11-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Get some new ideas Hollywood!!

JWRodegher
11-09-2006, 07:29 PM
I know that we can sometimes be a little hard to be pleased (tp?). I mean, I hated the first hulk, but hey thatīs just me. If the want to make a sequel, well, what can I say. BUT, did I get it all wrong or this is a "remake" from the first one. Cause if it is, then this is just plain wrong. Like, "hollywood get new ideas" doesnīt even make justice to how stupid this is getting.

Flog
11-09-2006, 07:39 PM
-The Hulk actually talks.
-He can't jump a mile in the air....worst part of the last one for me.
-He doesn't take almost an hour to show up as Hulk and not Bruce.
I hope this movie does its justice cause the Hulk is one of my fav characters but after seeing the last one I couldn't help but feel a little dissappointed.

The Hulk does talk in the comics, it's part of the persona, HULK SMASH!! ME AM HULK!! HULK HATE BANNER. He should talk that is the character we all have come to know

Yeah he should have more screen time.

Hulk can jump 1 mile in the air, he always go around like that in the comics.

Here is a summary of his powers

The Hulk possesses immense levels of physical strength. The most well-known incarnation, the Savage Hulk, possesses the greatest potential for immeasurable superhuman strength, often depending on his emotional state. His strength level is commensurate with his anger, spawning the famous quote: "the madder Hulk gets, the stronger he gets." During the Secret Wars limited series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_series), he is shown supporting a 150 billion ton mountain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain) range, although at the time he was using leverage to help support it. During a one on one fight with the psionic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psionic) entity known as Onslaught (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onslaught), Jean Grey psyonically disables Bruce Banner's persona, bringing out the true Savage Hulk. In Onslaught: Marvel #1, after trading punches with the Hulk, Onslaught angers him to a point where he was able to crack Onslaught's armor. In Marvel Comics Presents #52, the Hulk shatters an asteroid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid) twice the size of Earth with a single punch. The Hulk possesses highly developed leg muscles and is able to leap several miles at a time. Since the Hulk's strength increases with anger, he is able to leap distances much greater than he normally could while in a "calm" state. In Incredible Hulk vol.2 #33, for example, he is shown covering a distance of 1,000 miles in a single leap. In Incredible Hulk vol.2 #254, he is shown leaping into a low-Earth orbit. In Tales to Astonish #73, the Leader (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leader_%28comics%29), unsuccessfully, attempts to discover the limits of the Hulk's strength using his advanced technology. Doc Samson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Samson) makes a similar attempt in Incredible Hulk vol.1 #228, also without success.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2f/Hulk_heal.jpg/180px-Hulk_heal.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hulk_heal.jpg) http://en.wikipedia.org/skins-1.5/common/images/magnify-clip.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hulk_heal.jpg)
The Hulk's healing factor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healing_factor)

The Hulk is depicted with a large degree of invulnerability and superhuman stamina. He is shown withstanding the impact of high-caliber artillery shells, falls from orbital heights, and powerful energy blasts without sustaining injury and resisting extreme temperatures, poisons, and diseases with no ill effect. The Hulk demonstrates in Incredible Hulk vol.1 #440 that he is capable of withstanding a near-ground zero nuclear explosion. Despite his body's high resistance to injury, it is possible to injure the Hulk. However, the Hulk can regenerate damaged or destroyed tissue with far greater efficiency than an ordinary human. His healing powers, much like his physical strength and resistance to injury, increase during periods of heightened emotional stress. In Incredible Hulk vol.1 #398, for example, all of the Hulk's skin and most of his muscle tissue are flayed from his body. He fully regenerates the destroyed tissue within a few minutes.

In addition to his physical power and healing ability, the Hulk demonstrates the ability to "home in" on the desert base where he was empowered (see Incredible Hulk Vol. 1, #s 314, 393, et al). He can also see and hear spectres (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre), such as the astral form of Doctor Strange (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Strange).

just another comic adaption+remake of a just a few years old movie?

give me a break. Maybe one should make a remake of King Kong. Oh wait...

No this would be part 2 of the modern day Hulk movies, not a remake.

rblitz7
11-09-2006, 08:20 PM
give me a break! another hulk?! what they need to do is remake the matrix sequels or just continue the series.:)

BRUTICUS
11-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Right on the money aaraaf!

I just bought the Hulk DVD the other day. First thing I did was watch the commentary of both Ang Lee and Stan Lee (Holy Crank are they brothers??? ).
It is utterly amazing to me how much of a bold yet wise decision it was to select Ang, a film maker who places the importance of the human condition above all else.
After all, Marvel super heroes are human in terms of behavior and motivation.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the action! I get excited like a 5 year old when I see the Hulk going ballistic in the tank fight, But I'm sick of paying good money to see an FX demoreel on the big screen Which this next hulk is likely to be.

Please let me be wrong :)

Cheers

I really enjoyed it as well. The only thing that irked me was the bit where the father became the all powerful energy entity. I just thought that was too much for the first movie. I thought Nick Nolte sucked all the way through actually.

The ending really left me wanting more and to see Hulk explode down in El Salvador or wherever he was.

aaraaf
11-09-2006, 09:52 PM
You prefered monstrous CG poodles to a spectacular Batman film, and a film with Jessica Alba in it?

I've really got to try and watch FF. It just looked so darn... uninspired. Silver Surfer being in the next one sort of gives me hope, though.

And Batman Begins was just lame. I was really hoping for a different look and a little more intrigue. They could have gone Noir and done a real detective story (DC... Detective Comics... Batman's main title...:banghead: ) or even a really over the top Hush or Red Hood story.

I have to admit that Gary Oldman as Gordon was pure genius and easily the best part of the flick.

There are a couple of really great designs on this site that would have worked in a real world setup. Either of these would have made a killer Batman and done away with that stupid, stupid suit.

Wheeew. Got that off my chest! :)

ThirdEye
11-09-2006, 10:01 PM
give me a break! another hulk?! what they need to do is remake the matrix sequels or just continue the series.:)

hope this was ironic

sacslacker
11-09-2006, 10:29 PM
If they are going to keep doing comic movies (which I'm fine with) pick some cool comic like Shade the changing man or something like that.

grimmer
11-10-2006, 12:19 AM
I really enjoyed it as well. The only thing that irked me was the bit where the father became the all powerful energy entity. I just thought that was too much for the first movie. I thought Nick Nolte sucked all the way through actually.

The ending really left me wanting more and to see Hulk explode down in El Salvador or wherever he was.

Agreed :) In some of the scenes and I particularly recall the one when Nick and the Hulk first meet in the lab hallway, after the Hulk jumps through the ceiling and Nick is left laying there and sobbing "my son, my son" That was one of the most terrible performances EVER! Simply horrifying :)

The el salvador bit left me a bit disappointed as well, what in god's name was he doing there?

There's something to be said for being able to put your brain in neutral though. Summer blockbusters are the purest form of escapism. I personally enjoy a mindless movie now and again. I wouldn't necessarily call X-Men or FF shallow. You really have to understand that cramming 40 years of continuity into 90 minutes is just impossible. Plus, when trying to give these properties mass market appeal, they have to paint in somewhat broader strokes. Are they 100% faithful? No. That doesn't make them any less fun. With a few exceptions, I've found that most of the recent comic adaptations have been "good enough". You just have to gag & tie up your inner fanboy to enjoy them.

Here is where I disagree.
"Action Summer blockbusters" Have become the black hole of cinema these past few years. Be it your uninspired comic book made into movies or retina and eardrum scorching "Fast and furious" action flick or the bane of the man called michael bay
Hollywood is looking for the quick buck and the resulting scripts are so lame it's frightening. I for one never expected to cram 40 years of stories into one movie nor am I looking for accuracy (that's why I liked the Ang Lee Hulk) I'm all for a new story exploring the characters but FF? Even batman begins was so bad, Batman fighting an old and tired Raz Ol' Gouhl as a final climax? I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for comedy and summer time nonsense, love the utter stupidity of american pie, or the recent Borat (comedy requires a lot of intelligence IMO).
When a movie pretends to recreate decades of heart and soul poured into a Marvel comic and delivers nothing but a series of cheesy visual effects and a flimsy plot burning huge budgets along the way, well that is just sad.

I'm getting older and my brain cells are dying off, let me fill the remaining ones with some inspiring cinema :)

FRENZIEDmind
11-10-2006, 03:01 AM
I also like very much HULK (by Ang Lee). It's one of my favorite movies.

The only criticism I have with it is that small hole in the San Francisco road that Hulk busts out of near the end of the movie. That hole should've been huge.

hellgatemedia
11-10-2006, 11:14 AM
The fanboy in me sees it as no coincidence that they have decided to do another Hulk film, following after an Iron Man film.
Why you ask? Because if a Captain America film is next, I'm going to have to think an
Avengers spinoff is not far behind.

aaraaf
11-10-2006, 02:06 PM
The fanboy in me sees it as no coincidence that they have decided to do another Hulk film, following after an Iron Man film.
Why you ask? Because if a Captain America film is next, I'm going to have to think an
Avengers spinoff is not far behind.

Hate to spread rumours, but Marvel was actively trying to get all of the Avengers (classic lineup) characters under one studio roof for just such a thing... and if I'm not wrong Hulk was the last of the characters still under another studio's umbrella until this recent agreement.

THAT would be one hell of a movie!:drool:

Intervain
11-10-2006, 05:09 PM
hmmm... after Ang Lee's version I just can't see myself watching another overgrown pouncing frog in stretchy blue pants :shrug:

MacManiax
11-10-2006, 09:49 PM
I dont understand how this happens. i guess its all about the money these days and i shouldnt complain but this really shocks me and im going to go live on an island someday, like the CORONA beer commercials, ha

+1 for the mile long jumping, i liked it in smallville, The Hulk, and the new superman movie, its just cool

Papa Lazarou
11-10-2006, 10:19 PM
maybe they read this opinion piece:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33980

FRENZIEDmind
11-11-2006, 04:39 AM
maybe they read this opinion piece:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33980
Reading that 2004 article reminds me of probably the biggest problems the Movie had. As I recall the pre-release movie merchandising was so rampant and thick that people on several BBs were complaining about it. Perhaps the "under rating" was due to an over-commercializing backlash. Even though I liked the movie, I remember being VERY tired of all the Hulk advertising and paraphernalia.

Gentle Fury
11-11-2006, 05:42 PM
So, does anyone know, is this a Sequel, or a Do-Over?

danshewan
11-11-2006, 06:13 PM
It's a sequel, not a remake. Whether Eric Bana will be involved is anyone's guess. I read that he wasn't actively discussing the project, but it's hard to sift through the vast amounts of unsubstantiated rumors to get to the truth. That particular piece can be found here:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1531687/05122006/story.jhtml#/movies/news/articles/1531687/05122006/story.jhtml

Papa Lazarou
11-12-2006, 10:59 PM
It's a sequel, not a remake.
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1531687/05122006/story.jhtml#/movies/news/articles/1531687/05122006/story.jhtml

The producer has made some comments that it would be a reboot more than a sequel, but they seem to go back and forth on this. Personally I expect they won't redo the whole origin thing over, but just have a different actor and a different take on the character and a different vision. And I wouldn't be against this at all.

The link you gave has Eric Bana saying that the reason it was unpopular was because it was too serious, which I think misses the point entirely. The 70s series managed to be fairly serious at times, and still a popular take on the character. Bana's a fine actor, but at 6,3 he was miscast for the role. Some fans have suggested Robert Downey Jr and David Duchovny for the role, who would be slighter in build and more believable as scientists. The problem with Ang Lee's film was it was serious without being compelling at some points, and then just plain goofy at other points. You can be serious about the character in a kind of Frankenstein's monster way, but when it gets serious and lyrical about superjumping and giant poodles, it enters the realm of parody.

I can see why some feel it's an underrated film, and it certainly wasn't a total loss. But I'd definately welcome a fresh approach to the character. Of course the fear is they'll do something along the line of what Joel Schumacher did with the Batman franchise; steer so far away from the dark tones of the previous movie that it becomes lightweight cartoonish fluff.

rblitz7
11-13-2006, 01:19 AM
hope this was ironic
yes I was semi-joking but it is a pity the sequels didnt live up to the first one. ah well.:)

Creed
11-13-2006, 01:56 AM
I didn't care much for the comic book pages/transitions (whatever you call it) in the last Hulk movie.
Make it a movie, not a comic book.

And I wouldn't want Hulk to sound like a 1931 Frankenstein either. I don't understand why you
would want this guy to talk.

Myliobatidae
11-13-2006, 04:16 AM
Did I read that correctly...a half a billion dollars...

Papa Lazarou
11-13-2006, 01:58 PM
I don't understand why you
would want this guy to talk.

As long as they find a voice that sounds right, I don't understand why you wouldn't. It's been one of the more entertaining aspects of the comic.

Gentle Fury
11-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Was just wondering because this year Infamous came out, which was a do-over of Capote.....which IMHO it was desperately in need of....that movie was AWEFUL! I never saw a movie before where I really got to hate the main character...and i don't mean the kind of hate that you get where they are bad and you are supposed to hate them.....like the type where you wish the damn movie would just end so you could go home.

So I figured maybe this was going to be a trend....make a bomb of a movie then release a do-over a couple years later.

atti
11-15-2006, 04:13 PM
I hope for you complaining people, nobody is forcing you to watch that remake or do-over.:)
I think Ang Lee's Hulk was ok. Not brilliant, but ok. If you already have the feeling you won't like, it's probably better if don't pay any attention to the Hulk news anymore.

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2006, 04:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.