PDA

View Full Version : Jaw_fellow

S E D A H
02-08-2003, 11:05 PM
hi guys lm looking for a nice setup for a jaw to follow the blendshapes (facial) l dont want to aniate my jaw is there any way to get a nice setup......what l am thinking os to create a cluster on a vetex and parent my jaw on that cluster.....l dinit try this but if someone got a nice wayto achieve that
GIVE me
Thx

jschleifer
02-09-2003, 02:36 AM
The problem with making a cluster is that the cluster won't follow the vertex.. the vvertex will follow the cluster.

what you need to do is constrain the jaw to a face, or point on the surface if it's a nurbs.

I know there's a pointOnSurfaceInfo node you can use for a nurbs surface.. but I'm not sure about for polys. I remember something about a pointOnMeshInfo, but I don't have maya in front of me to check...

-jason

S E D A H
02-09-2003, 03:21 AM
thx Jason for reply my character is the one you see in my avatar and he is in polygon...........is there a way to create a expression on the jaw to flollw vertes in space than the jaw will follow every blenshapes and more like id l add 2 or 3 blendshapes mixed........
lm working on that if you have any news about a nice setup
give me news
Thx

jackkhouri
02-11-2003, 05:29 PM
i<m not sure what your looking for, but if the jaw is a joint, you could use set drivin keys to drive the joints (jaw) with your BlendShapes!!!

usualy at work we create an empty blend shape then use driven keys for the slider (of the Empty BlendShape) to drive the jaw bone!!! We do this so the animators have access of the jaw movements withs his vocal blendshape!!!

example: aaaa
ooooo
vfm
etc...
and jaw rotate up_down
jaw side left_right

hope i<m making sence!

jack

seasterling
02-11-2003, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure I follow you. What is the jaw for if you are not going to animate it? I usually animate the jaw then control the rest of the face with other deformers, but not usually blendshapes. You can build your blendshapes on top of your jaw deformation. This debate usually comes down to level of control and the issue of blendshapes being a linear deformation.

john_homer
02-11-2003, 11:40 PM
I'm not too sure if i understand the question... are you saying you want the joint to stick to (or move relative to) a vertex??

if so, you can query the vertex position with xform and pipe the results into the joint positon..
ie
$pos = `xform -q -a -t polyBody.vtx[753]`;
xform -a -t $pos[0] $pos[1] $pos[2] jawJoint;

of course this will only update when the expression is evaluated.. ie. when the current frame changes...
so the jaw will not move as you slide the blendshapes, but will when you play back the scene...

hoe this is some help..
.j

S E D A H
02-12-2003, 12:59 AM
hi john_homer thx this is what l want l want my jaw moving and refer to a vertex position thatn when l put some blenshapes to my character and mixed them the jaw will always be at the right placed l think your solution is what l want l will try it soone as possible and give you news
THx

jschleifer
02-12-2003, 05:51 AM
the thing is, you don't want it to just be constrained with it's translates, you need the rotates constrained, too.

There used to be a node called pointOnMeshInfo which I've used before, but for some reason it's an unknown node in 4.5. :(

-jason

seasterling
02-12-2003, 07:09 AM
You could add a curve under your head and put blendshapes on the curve that correspond with the blendshapes on your mesh, then constrain the joint to a cv on the curve with the pointOnCurveInfo node. I think. :surprised

This would at least update with the blendshapes. Don't know about the orientation though, still not sure what your trying to achieve.

sp0rk3d
02-12-2003, 07:54 PM
something i have done in the past is use the emit form surface command when you have 1 vertex selected.... i have not doe this in a while but as i recal you end up with an emiter node "stuck" to the vertex, you just have to delete the defualt particle node that comes in with it....
So you are left with an emiter node to point constrain to.... if you need the rotation you can also tangent constrain to the original surface.....
not sure if that helps or not...

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.