PDA

View Full Version : light intensity at 0 but still illuminates

yencaray
11-09-2006, 05:37 AM
I've got a scene i'm lighting. It's actually the lighting challenge number 2.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b41/moon_lit_eyes/CGTALK%20forums/lightproblem.jpg

If you see the light edge on the wall to the right of the image. Thats actually supposed to be a softedge. But no matter what i do it doesn't change how the spot lights cone's edge is displayed. I actually turn the light intensity to 0 and it's still there. I delete the light and it's goes away. If i change the cone angle is gets smaller but no matter what i put in for falloff and penumbra angle wont change a dang thing. It has something to do with the Mental ray shader i've assigned. I'm rendering in Mental ray with a oren-nayar shader. the lights works how it should on the surface with a regular lambert but but the oren-nayar shader and it does what you see in the above image.

If i change the penumbra angle the edge moves to where the end of penumbra angle would end if it were working along with it. It seems as though it's seeing the penumbra angle but doens't apply the softening just a solid light intensity across.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

ghostlake114
11-09-2006, 06:16 AM
I could help If I have your scene with problem...

Lamster
11-09-2006, 07:19 AM
erm, I'm not entirely certain about what your lighting setup is, but what I understand is that for soft shadows in Maya, you'd have to use the area lights. If you aren't using maya 8, you'll have to create the spotlight, go to the mental ray tab and look for the area light option. Place a tick on that and your spotlight will start to cast soft shadows. You can adjust the graininess of the light by adding values to the high samples and low samples.

Terence

kojala
11-09-2006, 07:24 AM
Increase the "Raytrace Shadow Attributes" > "Light Radius" default = 0 = hard edged shadows. try something like 5 ?

yencaray
11-09-2006, 04:31 PM
I tried all that but didn't work. This light isn't setup to cast shadows though either. It's just there to add light. Heres the scene. It uses some custom shaders so if you don't have them installed it might not render right.

http://rapidshare.com/files/2659778/light_error.zip.html

the scene file can be downloaded there.

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2006, 04:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.