PDA

View Full Version : WORKSHOP - Character Development Pipeline #001 - "THE HEAD HUNTER"

default-rol
11-08-2006, 03:01 PM
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7959/00lesson001headeralt5ly1.jpg

WORKSHOP - Character Development Pipeline #001 - "THE HEAD HUNTER"

with Mike Rollinson (default-rol)

+++November 8th - December 8th, 2006+++

“Across the battle fields of Post-Eastern Europe, the head hunter stalks his prey. He knows this place, in fact he was born and raised there…”

Is the character from the end of the cold war, or from a future time when another conflict has destroyed/unified Eastern Europe? Or is it something else altogether? You decide. You can make a hero character or an evil one. Is he out for justice? (like head hunting the people who destroyed his Country/village/etc.) or is he a military killer gone renegade, living by his own rules and writing his own missions as he goes along? Again, you decide....

+++

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT PIPELINE #001

Using the above sentence as your initial brief, develop a character for film/TV/game. The character can be more photo real or characture in style and does not have to be a human biped, or male…

The purpose of this workshop is to develop additional character artwork for your portfolio. Companies at the present time like to see character artists who have their own ideas and can realise them, so the further down the pipeline you can travel, the more of an asset to a company you are. To have your own idea, develop it in 2 dimensions and then execute it in 3 dimensions is also very challenging, and helps the artist to understand form “in the round.”

If you are thinking of taking your ideas into 3 dimensions, please decide on a suitable polygon budget. If you are unsure, please enquire on the workshop and others will try and help. The workshop is application independent, and so anyone can try it. For those of you who would like to try 3d but do not have a package, blender (http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Home.2.0.html) is a very high standard open source 3d application that is free to download and use. However, this will take time to learn and is unfeasible for the duration that the workshop will run.

+++

DURATION - 1 MONTH:

Breakdown: (guidelines only – depends on the complexity of the idea and model.)

Concept development and realisation: 1 to 1½ weeks.

Model development and texture art: 1½ to 2½ weeks.

Rigging: ½ to 1 week.

The above guidelines are intensive and will require a lot of work. Please look at the amount of time you have available for the project before trying to take on too much. High quality artwork is the key here, and looks better in your portfolio.

+++

DELIVERABLES:

These are guidelines only. You can do all the sections or just choose the areas you feel most comfortable with. If you wish to use another persons concept art for a model, then please seek permission to do so from the user. If you just want to create the concept art and don’t mind others using your art work for a fully realised character, please state so in your post. If you are having trouble with an area, please shout up and others will try to help out as best they can.

WIP is encouraged, and please help others by providing your thoughts in a positive manner. Discouragement of others will not help anyone as we are all here to get better, and people bring different skills to the table.

1. Concept art >>>

- Ideas
- Final presentation art (full body character pose, head and image plane orthographics.)

*Please note that if you are a 2D only and not a 3D person, you are more than welcome to spend the duration of the Workshop refining a 2D character.

2. Model >>>

- High poly cinematic or lower poly real time games character

- Base model (untextured)- Final model (with textures)

3. Rigging for animation >>>

- FINAL PRESENTATION IMAGES and TURNAROUND. (geared towards portfolio with client presentation in mind.)

+++

LEARNING OUTCOMES:

- How to develop ideas and a final character from a written brief.
- Taking 2d artwork and turning it into 3d artwork.
- Texture art.
- Rigging for animation.
- Visual communication skills.

+++

HOW THE WORKSHOP WORKS:

Everyone who participates in the Workshop posts their WIPs and final images / projects to this Main Workshop Thread.

Participants have the *option* of also creating their own Personal Workshop Thread here:

Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200

The naming convention for Workshop participants who are participating only in this Workshop or type of Workshop should be:

CDP #001 Workshop Thread of *Your Name*

(without the asterisks*)

For those who already have a Personal Sketchbook Thread, they may simply post their work to their existing threads.

So, for all participating, please ALWAYS post your WIPs to this main Workshop thread, but you also have the option of creating a personal Workshop Thread also to keep track of your own individual progress in a linear fashion.

Please understand that feedback will only be given by Mike / default-rol to those posting to this Workshop Thread, as keeping track of multiple individual threads just becomes too time consuming.

default-rol
11-08-2006, 03:02 PM
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/6628/00lesson001headeralt3sg6.jpg

RULES FOR THE CDP WORKSHOP:

1. Work created here MUST be ORIGINAL TO THE CREATOR and for the purpose of serious study of character art and design. Those who post silly or off topic work will have their posts deleted immediately and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Rebecca Kimmel reserves the right to determine which pieces are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful in the workshop.

2. This Workshop will run for 1 MONTH.

3. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only your BEST WORK and important design points you feel others should know about during your character development, even if it is considered unfinished.

4. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

5. Mike/default.rol and Rebecca Kimmel will be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Workshop should be on Group Critique and interaction.

6. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Sculpture, or 3D Model / Render for the initial stages. Development beyond the initial character idea (stage 2) should be done in a 3D application of your choice.

7. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 800 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please! (you are welcome to offer remote links to high resolution versions of your art work along side images that are of an appropriate size, if you so wish.)

8. Free, uncopyrighted imagery may be used. A great source for imagery is:

www.characterdesigns.com (http://www.characterdesigns.com/) / photosets

9. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art!

default-rol
11-08-2006, 03:03 PM

Reserved For Useful Links:

here's a quick informational link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headhunting

and here's a link to Shuar (not for the weak stomaches)

http://www.head-hunter.com/

The Pitt Rivers Museum, Oxford, England.

http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/

Free, copyright free reference (both male and female poses):

www.characterdesigns.com (http://www.characterdesigns.com) / photosets

odc
11-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi Mike,

Great idea for a workshop! :thumbsup:

One thing that bothers me though:
“Across the battle fields of former Post-Eastern Europe, the head hunter stalks his prey. He knows this place, in fact he was born and raised there…”
It sounds a bit strange, as if there had been Eastern Europe which then stopped being Eastern and became Post-Eastern and then again stopped being Post-Eastern and is now something else (hence former). Post-Soviet Europe or former Eastern Bloc maybe?

default-rol
11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Hey MichalB,

My first customer! yes you are correct... good spot. brownie points. Too much coffee and not enough sleep!

fixed now.

MIKE :thumbsup:

SulaMoon
11-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Oh wow. The ideia is great!
But I wouldnt be able to join the 3d part anyway =(

default-rol
11-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Oh wow. The ideia is great!
But I wouldnt be able to join the 3d part anyway =(

Hey there SulaMoon,

You only participate in what you feel comfortable with. this is fine. It is portfolio based and everyone has different ideas on what their portfolio should be. Doing only the 2D part is perfectly fine.

Hope you try it!!

su
11-08-2006, 04:33 PM
This is great idea. Damn midterms...I hope I can find some time from my school related stuff.

edit:typo

Rist
11-08-2006, 04:49 PM
This is great idea. Damn midterms...I hope I can find some time from my school related stuff.

edit:typo

Same here, sounds like a fun workshop.

su
11-08-2006, 04:52 PM
here's a quick informational link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headhunting

and here's a link to Shuar (not for the weak stomaches)

http://www.head-hunter.com/

MrJames
11-08-2006, 05:21 PM
What a fantastic idea for a workshop, if you run these in a series it would be great! Especially for portfolio development, I'm in. :thumbsup:

AnimZiggy
11-08-2006, 05:23 PM
i might give it a go...always wanted to try character design...heh..:wise:
btw thanks for the great effort rebekka and mike. :buttrock:

default-rol
11-08-2006, 05:35 PM
@Fl3wk - I hope you find time :)

@MrJames - LOL, one step at a time eh?! ... :D ;)

@anim_ziggy - Try it, you might like it ;) :D

@ Su - Thanks for the links, I'll add them to the top :thumbsup:

For anyone in the U.K. who lives in or around Oxford, the Pitt Rivers museum http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/ offers strange and interesting objects collected by explorers all over the world >>> all in one handy place! Housed amongst the collection are some severed heads from warring tribes, that were harvested by the victors and turned into fashionable daywear!

I think I've got pics somewhere, I'll try and fish them out. Su's link pretty much tells the same story anyway, and with better photographs.

Cheers

MIKE :)

werepumpkin
11-08-2006, 05:41 PM
When you say this should be "portfolio based" what does that mean? That I should only post what I consider portfolio worthy? That I should post work already in my portfolio? In which case you're saying the discussion CAN/MAY be as beneficial discussing existing character design, not necessarily work created specifcally for this forum. Which, by the way, I agree with.

I have significant character work I can post here, even recent work. Would posting those be within theparamerters of this therad?

Thanks.

AnimZiggy
11-08-2006, 05:45 PM
hahah i think i will... ermmm dumb question at the end of the day.... do we post here?

default-rol
11-08-2006, 06:01 PM
When you say this should be "portfolio based" what does that mean?

This means that we are trying to get individuals to build a body of work that will be useful when applying for character artist/conceptual character art based positions.

That I should only post what I consider portfolio worthy?

If you feel that the work you have done in any of the sections is what you would deem worthy of showing to others, to either explain a concept (i.e. working drawings, orthographics, wireframes and texture art) or explain the full concept ( finished 2D art, or 3D art) then it is worth showing to the communtity here. This is personal vetting, and prevents the thread from being clogged up with millions of thumbnails or "30 second" sketches etc. I am personally only showing the community work which I would show to a potential employer.

That I should post work already in my portfolio? In which case you're saying the discussion CAN/MAY be as beneficial discussing existing character design, not necessarily work created specifcally for this forum. Which, by the way, I agree with.

The purpose of this thread is a workshop to generate new work for your portfolio. :) Old work/work on a similar theme that has already been completed should be posted to your sketchbook thread if you have one. If you don't please feel free to set one up on the relevant sub forum.

I have significant character work I can post here, even recent work. Would posting those be within theparamerters of this therad?

Thanks.

If the work is not done for this specific workshop and project, then it should be posted to other, relevant threads. This allows me to keep the workshop focused on the generation of new work and improving peoples skills through peer critique.

Hope that helps clear it up for you!! :D

hahah i think i will... ermmm dumb question at the end of the day.... do we post here?

Yes!! :D :D Please post the work you are creating for this workshop here!! :D :D

Cheers

digones
11-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Howdy Guys

This workshop came like a glove :D

Since yesterday I've been thinking about creating a character pipeline to improve my portfolio, so here it is ... thanks to everyone involved on this thread.

cheers

Digiegg
11-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Is there a way we can make our own little forum section?
just like how they do the lighting challenge and the cg challenge.
it hink putting everything in here could get messy.

Rebeccak
11-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Is there a way we can make our own little forum section?
just like how they do the lighting challenge and the cg challenge.
it hink putting everything in here could get messy.
Hi Digiegg,

The way that these Workshops work best, I've found, is to have a centralized WORKSHOP thread, such as the one we are on, to which all participants post their WIPs as work is generated. This keeps a community spirit and keeps everyone motivated and people are not obligated to check multiple individual threads to keep up with what others are working on.

What I recommend is the following:

Everyone who participates in the Workshop always posts their WIPs and final images / projects to this Main Workshop Thread.

Participants have the *option* of also creating their own Personal Workshop Thread here:

Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200

The naming convention for Workshop participants who are participating only in this Workshop or type of Workshop should be:

CDP #001 Workshop Thread of *Your Name*

(without the asterisks*)

For those who already have a Personal Sketchbook Thread, they may simply post their work to their existing threads.

So, for all participating, please ALWAYS post your WIPs to this main Workshop thread, but you also have the option of creating a personal Workshop Thread to keep track of your own individual progress in a linear fashion.

Please understand that feedback will only be given by Mike / default-rol to those posting to this Workshop Thread, as keeping track of multiple individual threads just becomes too time consuming.

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to seeing everyone's participation! :)

EDIT: I've also added these guidelines to the beginning of the thread.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

EAD
11-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Looks cool bud, I'll see what I can do.:thumbsup:

AnimZiggy
11-08-2006, 08:14 PM
is it alright to post studies (sketches etc) of research? for example i'm looking into The shuas and soviet soldiers n doing doodles to come up with an idea and have them as refernce too...

Rebeccak
11-08-2006, 08:22 PM
is it alright to post studies (sketches etc) of research? for example i'm looking into The shuas and soviet soldiers n doing doodles to come up with an idea and have them as refernce too...
Hi there anim_ziggy, I think you should feel free to treat this as your virtual work space. It will be quite cool to see different peoples' work processes in action.

Keep in mind you want to have a finished piece, be it 2D, 3D, or both, at the end of the Workshop. Please don't just post sketches and not complete a Concept. Create artwork that is worthy of your Portfolio.

Amerasu
11-08-2006, 08:33 PM
What a fabulous idea! I can only do 2D but please count me in, I need lots of help.

default-rol
11-08-2006, 08:39 PM

RK has answered the post, so I'd just like to re-enforce what I said to werepumpkin a little bit earlier, which was;

"If you feel that the work you have done in any of the sections is what you would deem worthy of showing to others, to either explain a concept (i.e. working drawings, orthographics, wireframes and texture art) or explain the full concept ( finished 2D art, or 3D art) then it is worth showing to the communtity here. This is personal vetting, and prevents the thread from being clogged up with millions of thumbnails or "30 second" sketches etc."

WIP stuff is obviously useful to show at an early stage as it explains where your idea is going, but just keep in mind the quality of it. If you feel it is worthy of showing, then be my guest! :thumbsup:

Hope that helps!

MIKE :D

AnimZiggy
11-08-2006, 08:46 PM
don't know what i'll come up with but i was definatelly in drawing mode when i got home after work!! Nothing special, silly really...doodling away..

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/534/brainstorming01pi8.jpg

right soo, i'm off to watch X2 and put some food on my roaring belly!

Blessing
11-08-2006, 10:25 PM
That's great! Believe it or not, I'm interested in headhunters and specially in the Jivaro Indians and their head-shrinking method since I was a child. Weird, eh? :scream: I'll try to join, is difficult for me since I'm a begginer, but I can't resist.
I'll see if I can do something. :)

Bless

Michael_Kasper
11-09-2006, 01:26 AM
sweet......I got some great ideas.

LoTekK
11-09-2006, 02:50 AM
Argh, I'm booked solid this month. I'll try and find a bit of time for this, though; it looks like a fun workshop.

yencaray
11-09-2006, 03:11 AM
So anyone can join? And it's free? am i right or did i miss something?

lkruel
11-09-2006, 03:58 AM
Here's what I came up with, planning on doing a fat soviet guy that decapitates people with his scycle. Im thinking about giving him a cigar or something. C&C or more ideas are welcome

http://luizkruel.com/boris/BorisSketch.jpg

Narratorway
11-09-2006, 04:11 AM
Okay, I may or may not join this depending on how much time I have. But I do have the question of not if we're supposed to post in this thread, but what we're supposed to post in this thread.

This is a character design development workshop, so there's going to be a LOT of developement work to show. Dirty sketches, throwaway drawings, off-side notes, the works. And that's just 2d. I guess what I'm asking is: do you want all of that, or just the finished products, somewhere in-between, or leave it up to our discretion?

Digiegg
11-09-2006, 05:54 AM
awww... no one eles wants to play??

Rebeccak
11-09-2006, 06:09 AM
I'm going to let Mike answer questions tomorrow since this is his Workshop. ;)

Here's my bit for now - just a fast sketch, trying to get a menacing looking fellow with some battle scars on his head eventually - please feel free to use this as a benchmark, eg, "I can do *sooo* much better than this - ultimately he's going to have more of a European than an Am. Indian look:

EDIT: updated new concept:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/CDP%20001/CDP_03.jpg

Gentrifier
11-09-2006, 06:36 AM
Sounds great! I'm in. I'm a little confused, though, about where exactly to post my WIP & final work. I notice that people have started replying to this thread, but your description of where to put the thread makes it seem as if it should be under the Tutorials and Workshops section, with each thread titled "CDP #001 Workshop Thread of...."

Let me know and I'll post where appropriate.

I'll start working on the head hunter design -- to be sketched in Photoshop and pencil & paper and a maquette made in either Chavant clay or Super Sculpey. I'll definitely use every moment of the allotted time for each phase with hopes of coming up with a number of ideas since my first will most likely not be my best.

Thanks for creating the workshop. Great stuff!

Alec

Rebeccak
11-09-2006, 06:41 AM
I'm a little confused, though, about where exactly to post my WIP & final work. I notice that people have started replying to this thread, but your description of where to put the thread makes it seem as if it should be under the Tutorials and Workshops section, with each thread titled "CDP #001 Workshop Thread of...."

Let me know and I'll post where appropriate.
Hi Gentrifier, just to clarify the confusion:

Please post ALL of your WIP and work here to this main WORKSHOP thread.

You are also welcome, though not required, to also keep track of your individual progress in the Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads section (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200), with each thread titled "CDP #001 Workshop Thread of...." as you mentioned.

Hope this helps. :)

Steve Bernstein
11-09-2006, 07:20 AM
I've been visiting these forums for a while now and have yet to post anything. This project sounds interesting and I think i'll give it a try. My problem is the descrtiption of the character we are supposed to be designing is a little vague. Is post Eastern Europe after the cold war or some other time and what side is the character supposed to be on?

Digiegg
11-09-2006, 07:43 AM
http://www.digiegg.com/headhunter/headhunter.jpg

Don't mind the chick, I was drawing that in class...
I have 3 concepts... ninja, fat joe lookalike tribeman, and a long haired assassin...
I think I like the fatjoe headhunter version the best.
I could do more drawings but I want to get started on the model soon.

Libor
11-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Great! Im joining in, hope I can finnish this too! I wanted to develop a renegade type of character for very loong time..

Well now to the bussiness, heres my first sketch, some kind of idea. Im going to change it, I can think of it as a part of my searching process so look for huge changes because Im on the start and not satisfied yet.

Concept:

Ive imaginated a biker (yes Im going to model a bike too!) with some eastern europe marks, some kind of Mad Max like character (I like the sew-off shotgun idea too - maybe some AK-47 for clear setting him to the region :D ).

This sketch is the first and rough - not showing his character (namely because of his loosy painted face), personality and also his clothes and accesories are still too causal...

I would like to go for some stylized look (exagerated facial features etc) but maintaining photorealism in lighting, materials and textures (hair and fur) - it will be hipoly char for cinematics in mind...

http://www.cgart.org/paint/sketch281.jpg

so stay tuned for updates :)

rasmusW
11-09-2006, 08:45 AM
-sounds really intresting. great opputunity to get some quality-work done, with hopefully loads of useful crits.
really hope to take part of the next one. got plenty of work to be done atm.
good luck to everybody participating.

-r

AnimZiggy
11-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Luiz: I really like the design...i can visualize him running around with his scythe behading people..lol..i can also see him with scars...

Becca: looking good so far ;+) nothing to crit yet... he kind has a little european feel into him already ;P

Libor: I like the idea of a mad biker headhunter... with some automated beheading weapon attached on the bike..great sketch

Digiegg: I agree with you i like the fatjoe one too...but the tribeman too you could combine the too perhaps....

yay...good stuff now i got to come up with something too!!!

default-rol
11-09-2006, 11:12 AM
So anyone can join? And it's free? am i right or did i miss something?

Yup it's free, yup you get peer critique and of course you can join in!! God bless the internet, eh?!... :thumbsup: :scream:

Okay, I may or may not join this depending on how much time I have. But I do have the question of not if we're supposed to post in this thread, but what we're supposed to post in this thread.

This is a character design development workshop, so there's going to be a LOT of developement work to show. Dirty sketches, throwaway drawings, off-side notes, the works. And that's just 2d. I guess what I'm asking is: do you want all of that, or just the finished products, somewhere in-between, or leave it up to our discretion?

Hey Narratorway >>> You answered your own question in the last part! :thumbsup: Nothing much else for me to add other than if you reckon it needs to be shown to explain your concept, lets see it!!

I've been visiting these forums for a while now and have yet to post anything. This project sounds interesting and I think i'll give it a try. My problem is the descrtiption of the character we are supposed to be designing is a little vague. Is post Eastern Europe after the cold war or some other time and what side is the character supposed to be on?

Hey Steve,

The character description was intentionally vague, a sort of written Rorschach Inkblot Test if you will, so that it will fire your imagination to finish the rest of the sentence, paragraph and story in your head, and then communicate it with visual tools (i.e. your drawings) so that others will understand. There are no right and wrong answers for the brief, (as in all art.)

Is post Eastern Europe after the cold war or some other time and what side is the character supposed to be on?

You make this decision. Is the character from the end of the cold war, or from a future time when another conflict has destroyed/unified Eastern Europe? Or is it something else altogether? You decide, again it is all good. You can make a hero character or an evil one. Is he out for justice? (like head hunting the people who destroyed his Country/village/whatever) or is he a military killer gone renegade, living by his own rules and writing his own missions as he goes along? Again, you decide.... :thumbsup:

To everyone,

Can't wait to see all the amazing ideas you people come up with, and great to see the ideas already on display. Well done all who have participated so far.

Cheers

MIKE

benkashmir
11-09-2006, 12:23 PM
okay, i havent seen the last post by mike giving a much more creative range, so i did those sort of modern routine sketches, i will post some new heads very soon, hoping you guys could help me pick the best one out of them (think concept ,notlevel of drawing), after words i will make several poses, outfits, weapons, gudgets, items, scenes for you to help me decide, this way i could benefit most from the workshop..

well here goes the first faces

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/benkashmir/headhunters.jpg

btw - thank you mike and rebbeca for giving so much effort in contributing to this forum and its peoples.. you guys are pure gold.

benkashmir
11-09-2006, 02:11 PM
well, as i promised, new heads

my story for them (abit overdone story)

the real cold war never ended with the fall of the curtain wall, the russians, after losing the race to the moon and the nuclear weapon turn thier military scientists for a new accomplisment.. the genetic engineering field.. a field which the very quickly learned to master..

they have created variuos creature, some desinged to employ in night, some in the harsh vegetation of the tropic jungles, some in the heating sun of the desert and some in the dirty sewers of large urban areas, some were inspired and combined from aquatic creatures, some from ground predators and some from night stalking beasts, but they were all desinged for one purpose, and one purpose only.. to hunt and kill.

here are the new heads, i would like you peoples to tell me which one is the best concept.. note that the color and level of detail will be improved after i pick one..

personally i tend to prefer either 3 or 6.
(each head took about 10-15 mins overall)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/benkashmir/headhunters2.jpg

michael-olszak
11-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Oh yeah! this is awesome!

I too wanted to do something like this. Now i'll have a good practice at it. ROCKS!!

default-rol
11-09-2006, 03:19 PM
@benkashmir >>> Good to see you have fleshed out the initial brief a little with your own particular twist. :thumbsup: Like I said, this is not essential, (I know everyone works differently) but I'm doing it too as I work on this brief.

Humans or mutants, nice range. Have you considered humans with a mutant twist or vice-versa? >>> to show they have evolved, or been genetically manipulated at least from human origins? (I personally think they have been evolved from human origins because their sternocleidomastoid is set in biped orientation on the necks of your mutant designs.)

Good to throw ideas out there, now start to tune them in more. :thumbsup: No.6 of the mutants looks good to me, rock on!

@michael-olszak >>> Good to hear you so fired up, looking forward to seeing what you produce.

benkashmir
11-09-2006, 03:52 PM
@benkashmir >>> Good to see you have fleshed out the initial brief a little with your own particular twist. :thumbsup: Like I said, this is not essential, (I know everyone works differently) but I'm doing it too as I work on this brief.

Humans or mutants, nice range. Have you considered humans with a mutant twist or vice-versa? >>> to show they have evolved, or been genetically manipulated at least from human origins? (I personally think they have been evolved from human origins because their sternocleidomastoid is set in biped orientation on the necks of your mutant designs.)

Good to throw ideas out there, now start to tune them in more. :thumbsup: No.6 of the mutants looks good to me, rock on!

@michael-olszak >>> Good to hear you so fired up, looking forward to seeing what you produce.

hey mike.

your brief is very good for igniting the imagintaiong, this way everyone can make their own twists but still remain focus on a main theme.. i liked how you didnt caged the overall concept
as this twist gave me so much freedom of creativty
i also prefer no.6 , i now make him (as well as no.3) in various poses to check what suits best

and yeah, they will be humanoid...

default-rol
11-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Hey all,

Here is my first thumbnail attempt for the brief, done this afternoon. I'm trying to get the combat/military aspect of his/her dress down first. Then I plan on adding a juxtaposition of native/tribal elements to the combat outfit.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/9682/thumbsideas01at5.jpg

Like I said, these thumbs are early stage "thinking out loud" pieces, but if anyone sees anything they like, please shout up. We are all here to help each other get the best out of the workshop after all!! :thumbsup:

@benkashmir >>> I'm glad you liked the brief!!

Cheers

MIKE

davidportoles
11-09-2006, 05:19 PM
i made the character with a look that reminds me of "Death" and a bit of a Sith
I´m using Painter. This are first and mid steps. I hope i will find some moment to finish it

Darkhorse3d
11-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Sounds like a fun workshop - I would love to incorporate the 3d, but will only have time for the 2d portion. Good luck to everyone participating!

DanielSLimon
11-09-2006, 06:11 PM
i made the character with a look that reminds me of "Death" and a bit of a Sith
I´m using Painter. This are first and mid steps. I hope i will find some moment to finish it

Wow, i like your stile and the palette that you used.
I hope that you can finish your character ;)

engelik
11-09-2006, 06:28 PM
i think this is a great idea, and i look forward to participate, there allready great sketches in so litle time. :)

benkashmir
11-09-2006, 07:14 PM
mike - i dig this modern military styles you got there.... tribal elements? thats intresting.. anxiuos to see it..

cant tell which one is best tough.. they are too similiar to me. (i'd go for a he tough)
on second thought... i prefer the top left one, as it shows some more flesh to it rather then sleeves.. will work better i think.

well, i cant also decide about my concept either..
this time i dont have something that i strongly like most like in the heads...
i tend to prefer 2.. but the other headhunter style is also intresting to me, sorta like a sniper..
i'd like to hear what you people thinks..

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/benkashmir/headhunters3.jpg

grafi
11-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Man, great idea, I wish I could participate, I have too much to do though. I do know the curator for headhunters and I have tons of books and artifacts in my house abuot headhunters, so it wuold be great to impliment that stuff in, wish i had the time :sad:

Squibbit
11-09-2006, 10:15 PM
dis is mine i put maybe 5 hours in it, done on photoshop.

it's about a powerful dark elf witch lady who done a mighty
love potion for dis undead tree man and now dat he's fallen for
her, she refuses him her love unless he bring her 500 hundred human skulls.
yea she not really want his love she just trick him to bring her
skulls cuz she finds em pretty.
he's beginning to suspect dere's sumthin fishy about dis.

---

i never rigged , really lookin forward to it.

---

http://www.saunalahti.fi/panuom/HH_1_a.jpg

AnimZiggy
11-09-2006, 10:39 PM
great storry and sketch Panu looking forward to the rest... i never rigged either...keep it up.

Brownboot
11-09-2006, 11:02 PM
I went for more of an eastern eurpoean mad max look. I tried to give him weapons which wouldn't be ammo/materials consuming, stuff that he could recycle, and that would also allow him to take off heads pretty clean.

I think he needs to be a bit more savage looking in the next iteration. I'm diggin the jerry-rigged weapons though.

http://allenwhite.com/hhconcept1.jpg

Digiegg
11-10-2006, 12:05 AM
how many of u are doing in game model? Cinematic model?

kaylon
11-10-2006, 12:20 AM
I'll try my hand at this...I don't do character stuff at work so will be a nice change.

I've gone for the "hellraiser" serial killer approch. I had a pretty good idea in my head what I wanted so just went a head and did an overall rough of the character...I'll do further studies later and If I have time might even try and do a low poly model.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3442/headhunter02bp5.jpg

K

Michael_Kasper
11-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Did a bit of research and came upon some interesting information of Celtic Headhunters. Sounded like a unique combination of characters so heres my attempt at some early concept stuff. Supposedly, Celtic headhunters used to take the head of the slain and hang them on display at the front of their horse. Hopefully, I can manage to get through this challenge and complete my idea.

--- kind of going for a stylized realism -----

Will be using Maya to model, maybe a touch of Zbrush and Mental Ray to render.

...hope you like.

mike.kasper@gmail.com

http://www.artofmikekasper.com/head_hunter1_kasper.jpg

Cris-Palomino
11-10-2006, 02:48 AM
Ok, here's my first stab (no pun intended) at this guy). This is just a thinking phase...so not sure how much will change yet. Some great pieces in the thread already.

http://www.elektralusion.com/illo/Headhunter.jpg

Cris

Hamilcar
11-10-2006, 04:53 AM
Wow! this is cool...Great work by all who have posted so soon! I will take more time to post comments later. Ok this is where I will spend the next month. I plan to do the whole workshop. Thanks Michael and Rebecca.

I'll post some work asap

DiM
11-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Hi all!Magnificent idea. Whether I do not know I shall do model and all rest. I as always am busy and I have no a free time, but I see the concept while so. Time for figure paint about an half hour so strongly do not abuse

http://dimm3d.mail333.com/baron_test/hh_copy.jpg

default-rol
11-10-2006, 08:04 AM
@ davidportoles >>> Looking like you have a solid concept here. Hope you get time to finish it too.

@ Darkhorse3d >>> Looking forward to seeing your stuff!

@ engelik >>> Glad you liked the idea and hope to see your work soon on the boards.

@ benkashmir >>> I think your no.1 sketch has got great attitude to him, keep going and excellent to see the amount of work you have already put into this in such a short period of time.

@ grafi >>> I know the feeling.

@ Squibbit >>> If you could PM me that love potion mix... :p Great stuff as always by the way.

@ Brownboot >>> Looks like a good start you have here. You planning on going for a full colour paint?

@ Digiegg >>> Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm building a real time asset. I'll post my spec's etc when I get that far. :)

@ kaylon >>> Looks like you are well underway with this one. Nice work. Are you going to be making orthographics for the model, or are you just going to build it? (If you get chance to of course.)

@ Michael_Kasper >>> Celtic Headhunters eh... sounds cool. Looks like you are going to be using similar packages to me too. Great stuff!

@ Cris-Palomino >>> Excellent first "stab" at the head-hunter character! :D He's got a bit of a berzerker attitude to him, judging by the look of shock on that severed head. :thumbsup:

@ Ham-e >>> The enthusiasm is strong in this one..., looking forward to seeing the work.

@ DiM >>> Nice. Something about "strong" female characters that I really like. Hope you get chance to work more on this one.

This workshop is shaping up nicely, thanks to all who have participated so far!

MIKE

DanielSLimon
11-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Hy all,
Congratulations for the idea, i hope the next Challenge will be as great than this "Head hunter" theme.
I'm not sure if I can finish my design but i try it.
This is my "big head" hunter.

Gentrifier
11-10-2006, 08:33 AM
This is just a first pass. I'm trying to figure out what sort of feeling I want to evoke with this character still. I'm sure this isn't it, so another sketch tomorrow with a similar feel but more evocotive and detailed.

http://www.alec.tv/images/headhunter1.jpg

AnimZiggy
11-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Future ..somewhere in the syberia or the stepes...(not sure yet) there's a new breed of humans who are infected with a carnivorus virus and only can eat human brains... as air travel is forbidden cause it can eliminate the little ozon layer that's left, people are forced to travel the old ways...train is the most common travel which uses solar panels..It's an easy target for the head hunters... (silly story i know)

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7576/headhunter01tz5.jpg

This is my first draft...i will definatelly add props, possibly more clothing and even change the design a bit....C&C please.

Brownboot i like yours...when I read the topic i kind of had mad max in mind... :)
kaylon cool sketch....what's under his mask? :P
michael didn't know they were celtic ones...cool
and the rest great stuff... especially loving the manga one by Daniel... :)

kaylon
11-10-2006, 09:49 AM
anim_ziggy:" kaylon cool sketch....what's under his mask? :P"

Not a pretty sight...he's looking for a new face...hence the impulse to lop of peoples heads :)

AnimZiggy
11-10-2006, 10:14 AM
anim_ziggy:" kaylon cool sketch....what's under his mask? :P"

Not a pretty sight...he's looking for a new face...hence the impulse to lop of peoples heads :)

oughh...i knew shouldn't have asked this before first thing in the morning...heh :D

michael-olszak
11-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Cris-Palomino - Like the ide and pose
Brownboot - good work man, looking cool!
kaylon - I love your idea. Would do nicely in a game i think :)

Very nice work every one else.
I'll maybe post some idea's this weekend. don't know if i'll have the time to do something but I'll do my best.

Have a nice weekend everybody.

Brownboot
11-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Did a little portrait study. Trying to get a skin tone that looks nice; I want him to look like he's out in the frigid wastes all the time. Also thought about where he'd keep his head collection, and I think he keeps them on the gates to the village he protects that's built in a ruined cityscape. Have to do some doodles of that stuff in the near future.

http://allenwhite.com/hhconcept2.jpg

Everybody's stuff is looking pretty swish. Always impressed by the myriad ideas everyone comes up with :P.

Edit: I'll be doing a full color study soon. Also, I'll try to do a low poly model, 3500 polys or so, I'm not much of a modeller though, I enjoy texture painting a lot more.

benkashmir
11-10-2006, 04:30 PM
great sketches everyone

dim - i like this classic sort of muskiteric girl
brownboot - your painting good, i would lower his eye brows and make his eyes like his getting blazed by the sun so he will look meaner..

well, heres the outfits (only few steps till i get to the reall detailing, weee!)

i tend to prefer no.1 pants with no.3 black t-shirt... altough no.4 desert camo would looks nice too i think... i am considering maybe even make a camo t-shirt..
no.2 is supposed to be a futuristic armor, not sure it would fit, but it would allow me much more range of weapons and gudgets to add...

well.. enough bubling
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/benkashmir/headhunters4.jpg

after i decide for the outfit i will start roughing out his main weapon..

sekopasa
11-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Great topic, as i dont have much time from my personal projects i couldnt resist this,

When i first head the head hunter i just remembered the yoshimo the bounty hunter from Baldurs Gate 2,

My lady is a Chaotic Natural bounty hunter, she kills just because this her job, no evil no good. She is a killer and she uses every kind of weapons such as swords, shruikens, dagger, poison or vanishing powder but her main weapon is sthealth and speed. Her face is hidden because tomorrow she can appear as a dancer or a maid in your house just to kill you. I want her to look simple and deadly. And the reason why the character is a lady, i find it more frightening when a lady has no emotion than a man.

The green vest will be painted as crocodile leather in future and the protecters on his foot will be like bamboos.

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/152/kiztwinnx3.jpg

Corvax
11-10-2006, 10:36 PM
cool workshop, its gonna be nice to take a break from all the studying and just be creative for awhile, even thou the 3d parts scares me a little bit, I'm so rusty when it comes to 3d..:eek: :)

anyhow, here is the first batch of thumbnails ..

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3/corvax123/TN_01.jpg

--David.

engelik
11-11-2006, 01:48 AM
My first concept. The main word is "adaptation". Adaptation to a hostile environment in a land similar to a desert where life ain't easy. lot's of competition and only the best adapted survive. He is an evolution of an human, there is a piece of cloth over is face to protect it from the sand, and the glasses work the same way..

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/465/1stconceptqy2.jpg

Sorry for my english :\ i'm portuguese :)

Digiegg
11-11-2006, 02:10 AM
um okay so I got this idea in my head.
A crazy male from a tribe hold up an eyeball like a cherry with his two fingers about to drop them into his mouth.
he's sticking his toungue out and is very excited about eating the eyeball.
On his other hand he has a head of another tribeman.
i kinda of worked the expression a little bit to see where I can go...
You guys can give me suggestions to tell me how i can make this guy look excited.
http://members.cox.net/digiegg/hh2.jpg

Rebeccak
11-11-2006, 05:06 AM
Next concept:

Cris-Palomino
11-11-2006, 05:08 AM
Oooooo...nice image, Becks.

Kaylon...love the concept of the head mask.

Cris

Cris-Palomino
11-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Trying to work out the look of my character.

http://www.elektralusion.com/illo/headhunter_2hdtrns.jpg

Cris

Rebeccak
11-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Thanks, Cris - good start on yours as well.

Felt compelled to do another one, maybe a little hokey, no ref:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/CDP%20001/CDP_04.jpg

sekopasa
11-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Next concept:

Wow, i like this one. Looks realy tribal.

Squibbit
11-11-2006, 10:32 AM

yea i took an instant liking to this one too, got a feeling to it

DanielSLimon
11-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Well, here my second contribution from my character.
This is a more finished concept, more ahead, i hope to post a 3D model ;)

AnimZiggy
11-11-2006, 11:36 AM
beccaa yeah definatelly the first one for me too........
daniel cool stuff.

DanielSLimon
11-11-2006, 12:36 PM
beccaa yeah definatelly the first one for me too........
daniel cool stuff.

Thanks Ziggy :buttrock:
Rebecca, the second are cool too, but i think that the head is a little small, if you try to make bigger the character will improve... I think. :thumbsup:

default-rol
11-11-2006, 01:20 PM
@ DanielSLimon >>> That concept idea is very good, and the standard of presentation for the model sheet is superbly done. Well done, and can't wait to see the model for this one! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

@ Gentrifier >>> Solid start, hope to see you develop it.

@ anim_ziggy >>> Hope you keep going with this one.

@ Brownboot >>> Your character seems warm and friendly to me.... perfect for a crazed maniac. :D

@ benkashmir >>> Definately No.1 for me.

@ sekopasa >>> Female mercenary ninja, good twist! Hope you develop it more.

@ corvax >>> Don't be scared by the 3D part, you don't have to do it. Some interesting characters in your line up there. Any thoughts on which one you will develop?

@ engelik >>> Great idea/concept, hope you run with it and develop it further!! :thumbsup:

@ Digiegg >>> Are you keeping the concept as a nurbs patch model, or will you be converting to polys later? If he's tribal, I'd look at the bone structures of native peoples as they tend to have heavier brow lines (males) and generally more extreme features, (depending on the location of the tribe in the world.)

@ RK >>> I'm digging the face painted character and I'd love to see more of him if you get what I mean.... ;) Good atmosphere on this paint though.

@ Cris-Palomino >>> Knots in the beard, scar over the eye... this guy screams, "Look!! Here comes trouble.." Good job!

Thanks, looking forward to seeing more!! >>> I'll hopefully be posting a bit more of my own work over the weekend.

Remember, if anyone wants paintovers on their artwork, then please state so on the post.

MIKE

sturmkim
11-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi guys great concepts so far and thanks to 'default-rol' for make this thread.

here is my concept #01.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/sturmkim/concept/headHunter01.jpg

Rebeccak
11-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the comments guys! :)

DanielSLimon, that is a great sketch!

A sketch from this morning, pretty quickly painted, not finished:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/CDP%20001/CDP_05_sketch-02.jpg

Haven't really sketched much in a sketchbook for a while, so this was fun:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/CDP%20001/CDP_05_sketch.jpg

Rebeccak
11-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Edit - update:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/CDP%20001/CDP_06_02.jpg

A quick charcoal version, for the fun of it:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/CDP%20001/CDP_06.jpg

BTW guys, don't forget to subscribe to this thread so that you can find it when the plug goes off the front page. :)

Corvax
11-11-2006, 09:12 PM
@ corvax >>> Don't be scared by the 3D part, you don't have to do it.

I'm still gonna do the 3d part (if I can find the time):) , I'm just a bit nervous about it, not having done any 3d in quite a while. hopefully its gonna be like riding a bike - once you learned it you never forget.:D anyhow this should be a great opportunity to brush up on my 3d skills.

Here is the second stage of my thumbnailing process.
I'm just fleshing out the thumbnails from being just silhouette to small Ideas/concept, next step would be to do roughs of a few of the "idea sketches".:)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3/corvax123/fleshout.jpg

--cheers David.

Wandering Monk
11-11-2006, 10:32 PM
I've been visiting cgtalk on and off for a few years, but I've never decided to be part of the community... This workshop just caught my eye at the right time I guess:wise:

These are just some preliminary sketches and thumbnails I've been doing in my spare time. The phrase Mike used to spark the conceptual process immediately put me in mind of a snow covered atmosphere. The character I'm thinking of expresses that through her clothing. Also, I have this idea that she would not seem like she is native to eastern europe until the story is told. Perhaps she was born and raised there, but retains some of her deeply rooted idian cultures.

The result was some research on the Jivaro indians as well as common eskimo clothing.(they have some really unique clothes.)

When I can find the time, I will be doing a little bit of color thumbnailng to see how the colors in my mind would work on the character.

And thank you for this free workshop, it's very inspiring.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n140/wanderingmonk/head_hunter_preliminaries1.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n140/wanderingmonk/head_hunter_preliminaries2.jpg

KRIGBERT
11-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Soo, I kind of went for the disturbing horror thing. A couple of quick sketches:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/KRIGBERT/candidates.jpg

1: Everyone in the little village laughed when 1, for no apparant reason, said she'd cut off their heads and feed them to the birds. She laughed too, and months later she suddenly disappeared, and the badly mangled bodies started showing up.

Sawing off the heads of her victims with her sister's nail file is hard work that takes a lot of time, but as far as 1 is concerned - this is quality time

2: For the longest time, 2 had been convinced that too much value is placed on human life in general - catholic life in particular.

When the filthy catholic german scum invaded his peaceful God-fearing village, he saw no choice but to take matters in to his own hands.

Not sure which one of them I like the most, and certainly not sure if I have time to do this (I really doubt I'll do any 3D) - I'll enjoy playing with their personalities, though :D

Hamilcar
11-12-2006, 04:57 AM
comments:

KRIGBERT:That's creepy, will be interesting to see where you take this; the nailfile thing just make it funny tho:)

Corvax: nice work. the're all good but I like number 2 best.

Rebecca: Very nice development and exploration of your character, I like it.

strurmkim: Good concept and mood! now it just needs detail.

Cris-Palomino: Good start.

Ok here is what I've done so far...not much I have the flu...

“A child survivor of a genocide, living day to day, using brutal cunning and wit, with only one goal: to secretly collect the heads of his oppressors.”

http://stickman3d.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/headhunter_01_thbs.jpg

http://stickman3d.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/headhunter_02_thbs.jpg

http://stickman3d.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/headhunter_03_thbs.jpg

Aries326
11-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Great work everyone, very inspiring stuff... I love this workshop and you guys are makin me feel lazy so heres my go at it.... hope i can actually see it all the way through in time....

In an attempt to perfect the art of information extraction russian scientists have created a new species of creature that enter the body and inhabit there brain and make the host very cooperative but once the creature fully matures they grow out from the hosts head resulting in monstrous creatures that unexpectedly can reproduce at an alarming rate. In their larva stage they cannot survive for long outside of a body and because they inhabit the head of their host (be it animal or person) they have picked up the name "head hunters." They are the new epidemic......

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=104695&stc=1
just came up with that..... honestly i just really wanted to do something weird....

sturmkim
11-12-2006, 11:27 AM
' my name is .... nicolas.......i guess....

I SEE MY MOM AND SISTERS HEAD...ARE FALLING....

AND MY HEADLESS BODY RUN AWAY....
SUBUTAI SPIT ON MY MOTHER LAND AND CURSED.... NO MAN'S LAND..

I'M WONDERING.......TO FIND MY HEAD....'

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/sturmkim/hh_01a_nicolas.swf

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/sturmkim/hh_01a_nicolas_1.gif

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/sturmkim/hh_01a_nicolas_6.gif

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/sturmkim/hh_01a_nicolas_10.gif

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/sturmkim/hh_01a_nicolas.jpg

AnimZiggy
11-12-2006, 05:06 PM
working on the body...arhh
krigberd i like the idea of a headhunting old lady.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/animziggy/head_detail.jpg

Hamilcar
11-12-2006, 09:04 PM
comments:

wandering monk: Nice thumbnails, somehow I missed your post last time, look forward to seeing more.

anim_ziggy: good work, mutant or deformity? Look forward to see more.

to all: please ask if you want any specific crit comment or suggestion.

Ok here is my first rough sketch:

http://stickman3d.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/headhunter_workshop/Character_01_rough_01.jpg

Michael_Kasper
11-13-2006, 01:06 AM
...Celtic Head Hunter...

I've noticed that most are taking this character as a form of evil. I was thinking the opposite, something heroic. Taking the heads of evil is the aim of this character. I'm picturing a town in celebration as the Celtic Head Hunter returns from his journey with the heads of the slain dangling from horse side.

...any comments are much appreciated - good or bad....its part of the process

another concept crudely painted on a cold sunday.

http://www.artofmikekasper.com/head_hunter2_kasper.jpg

Rebeccak
11-13-2006, 02:31 AM
...any comments are much appreciated - good or bad....its part of the process
Michael_Kasper, I hope you don't mind, since you mentioned that you didn't mind comments, I went ahead and did a paintover - hope that's ok. :) I don't pretend to be a character artist or the world's best digital painter, but I think that one thing that might help you is to work at first in grayscale, since it allows you to control values much more easily and refine the figure in a very straightforward way. Here is the paintover, where I added more mass to the character's head, lengthened his legs, and changed the posture slightly. One thing to keep in mind when drawing a clothed figure is to draw the stance of the figure without clothes first. This is where drawing practice in the form of anatomy studies, master copies, and drawing from life really comes into play. Hope this helps:

http://anatomy.cgnetworks.com/CDP%20001/Michael_Kasper-01_small.gif

http://anatomy.cgnetworks.com/CDP%20001/Michael_Kasper-01_small.jpg

Also, I blew up the posted image to 300 dpi so as to enable me to paint details more easily - if you are not working at print resolution, I really recommend doing so, as it will give you the capability to really paint details.

Cheers, :)

-Rebeccak

wui
11-13-2006, 03:10 AM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/wuiakb/concept.jpg

Lov modeling and concept art. This is my first time participating.

Ive been wanting to do a turkish female, so I figured this would be a chance. Wasn't sure if a south asian headhunter would be allowed.. but figured why not try anyways. Need to work on garment more. She will probe catch a cold if out n about. But the idea is a pay for hire specialist (someone maybe shipped in for a job.. world renowned, traditional in trade. An old school headhunter stuck in the future. She's has some beauty but not overwhelming.. she is not an assassin.

any feedback is desired. Thx.

Michael_Kasper
11-13-2006, 03:18 AM
RebeccaK -

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such a helpful way. I will defintely take into consideration all of your comments. I have much to learn regarding the human figure and digital painting.

...more to come.

Rebeccak
11-13-2006, 06:10 AM
Michael_Kasper,

You're welcome. :) Glad you liked the paintover. Hope to see more of your and everyone else's work soon.

Michael_Kasper
11-13-2006, 06:52 AM
for the hell of it.......dont really like this doodle though.

http://www.artofmikekasper.com/celtic-3.jpg

TobyArt
11-13-2006, 07:24 AM
sturnkin, like how that's progressing
rebeccak - great colors and lights
Corvax, very solid start,
Everyone else, great stuff

Didn't really go for the human thing, like the idea of three eye's seems more alert that way, just a couple ideas, Leaning toward a high speed ambush type hunter, for the alley like streets of east Europe
http://www.tobyart.com/dsg/char/head-hunter1.jpg
http://www.tobyart.com/dsg/char/head-hunter2.jpg
http://www.tobyart.com/dsg/char/head-hunter3.jpg

A little more humanish,
http://www.tobyart.com/dsg/char/head-hunter4.jpg

Blessing
11-13-2006, 07:49 AM
Awesome stuff! After thinking about it and sketching a lot, I had finally decided to join. I think this workshop is a great chance to learn and start to interact a little bit more with the community. :)
God, I need a scanner. I've got my pencil sketch here, hopefully I will get it scanned in a few hours. I want to go for the magical meaning the head hunters put into their head-shrinking stuff, so my character will be some kind of unreal, mystical creature. Or I will try it, at least... ;)
I'll be posting as soon as I can.
Congrats to all for your amazing sketches! Rebeccak, your work is awesome. And Aries326, you hit me! Great idea!

Regards

Bless :)

PS: From now on: Sorry for the bad english :cry:

sekopasa
11-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Wui the anatomy fo the girl is quite good for a turkish girl, but the dance suit is definetly not turkish its arabic. Maybe you should think about changing the name as arabic head hunter or maybe look for some references, these are 2 references from completely different reagions of turkey, since we have very rich culture in our country you will be able to have lots of different styles in traditional clothing, if you have enough research and try a good mixture you will have sometthing very different and unique.

http://www.folk-arts.org/Vakif/Resimler/youth5.JPG
http://www.duzcetanitim.com/img/content/halk-oyunlari-3.jpg

And the sword she is holding is also arabic, the picture above is the turkish sword Yatağan is held by the famous Janissaries.

http://www.tuerkenbeute.de/media/ex5_Aufmacher/G212_00_ex5_304x304.jpg

For the Turkish style you can have a look at talented turkish artist Kerem Beyit's Portfolio, here (http://kerembeyit.cgsociety.org/).

benkashmir
11-13-2006, 01:41 PM
after some weapon variations sketching i decided i will stick with this one. its hard to see but what i did is taking an old classic kalashnikov (ak-47) and painted over it to make it look more modern/futuristic... now its an ak-97 :)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/benkashmir/headhunter6.jpg

now its time for some gudgets and accesories and after words the fine detailing..

kaylon
11-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Couple of quickies...decided to do one without his mask...just for fun

Will do Model sheets adn weapon details next I think.

Hope it's okay to post a new reply rather the edit my orig post..if not I'll move this image :)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/vanvalen/headHunter_02.jpg

K

default-rol
11-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Great stuff from all at the moment... :thumbsup:

I feel like i'm getting left behind a bit... trying to catch up now. Here is an idea for the "look" of my headhunter. I'm going to work on a new one now I think, then refine it and possibly get a painting done tonight (I hope.)

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/2280/portraitidea01aj9.jpg

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/5869/portraitidea02ze1.jpg

NOTE TO ALL PARTICIPANTS: Please post your next stage as you complete it to the end of the thread by creating a new post, and do not update an old post. I will miss it otherwise, and so will most others. Everyone is working so hard on this that I want the work you do to be seen by as many people as possible!

Thank you. :thumbsup: :D

PSekal
11-13-2006, 05:37 PM
hi everybody i decidet to join here is my first sketch of the head still working on full body pose
http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kozakheadconceptpo2.jpg

KRIGBERT
11-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Okay, more detailed face shots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/KRIGBERT/candidates2.jpg

I'm still unsure of who to pick to continue with, and what exactly to do. Is the goal here to make a front-side view + more of an "action shot", or what?

default-rol
11-13-2006, 05:50 PM
@KRIGBERT >>> It totally depends on if you plan on taking it to 3D or not. Orthographics are very useful as image planes if you want to model from them, but even with orthographics you usually need a perspective view to fully understand how the character should look (attitude, poise etc.) But like I said it is your call really. :)

Mine >>> with a feather?

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/875/portraitidea03jc1.jpg

The one I've done so far is a bit characature, (especially the side view,) and I'll be trying to tone it back to reality when I go for the paint.

Cheers

KRIGBERT
11-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Benkashmir: with all due respect, that gun looks like it's made by one of those geeky teenaged casemodders :p and it's completely incompatible with the philosophy that spawned the AK47.

The AK47, like the RPG-7 and everyone's favorite car, the Lada, has three main properties:

- It is very very simple
- It's also very rugged and easy to maintain
- It's not a status symbol :p

Also, the "47" is for the time it was created, i.e. the AK97 would have been made in 1997

more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ak47

Kaylon: aaah!

Default-rol: I can't seem to understand why you seem to be blurring your drawings and adding noise afterwards. It's a good face, though. You might want to work on the profile. It's a bit lumpy

edit: just saw your post there, so ignore that last comment :)

default-rol
11-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Default-rol: I can't seem to understand why you seem to be blurring your drawings and adding noise afterwards. It's a good face, though. You might want to work on the profile. It's a bit lumpy

No blur involved guvnor, honest! LOL!! I'm using a chalk brush in Painter and when I'm resizing it for posting it is doing that (the noise is from a combination of paper type I'm using and the chalk tool.) I was considering using a sharpen edge filter in PS etc. but I thought it wasn't worth it as it is just an underdrawing. I agree he is lumpy at the moment, so I'll see what I can churn out in the actual paint.

Cheers

Rebeccak
11-13-2006, 06:49 PM
wui,

I like your concept so far, but think you might take the next steps in terms of shading it. Hope you don't mind that I did a paintover as a suggestion: :)

EDIT: removed by request. :)

You can of course take the shading a lot further, these are just first steps. I think the nose in profile is a bit long and the eye too close to the bridge of the nose. Also, I would recommend adding mass to the top of her head, which seems a bit flat at the moment. Overall, a good first step, i would like to see you refine this character a lot more. :)

benkashmir
11-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Benkashmir: with all due respect, that gun looks like it's made by one of those geeky teenaged casemodders :p and it's completely incompatible with the philosophy that spawned the AK47.

The AK47, like the RPG-7 and everyone's favorite car, the Lada, has three main properties:

- It is very very simple
- It's also very rugged and easy to maintain
- It's not a status symbol :p

Also, the "47" is for the time it was created, i.e. the AK97 would have been made in 1997

more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ak47

hey thank you for the info dude... i will make it look more a la kalachnikov style...

btw - ak47... how to say it... has got really bad thinking behind its trigger, magazine and safe button positions... totally falls behind the western rifles i had the chance to fire... as for maintaining.. yep, thats his good point.. very easy to disassemble.. doesnt rust, and can still fire after you filled it with wet mud.. unlike the m16 which a sinlge rain drop would force you to oil it and clean it carefully...

btw - best storming rifle i fired was the israeli "tavor"... totally put the others behind..

anyway... heres another geekly modder addon :D , its a short 4 AT missile launcher.
if anyone thinks this addon will only lower my hunters quality (which still aint that high) please do say so.
i also plan on giving him a secondary weapon, the micro uzi http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/benkashmir/headhunter7.jpg

Rebeccak
11-13-2006, 08:07 PM
benkashmir,

When you decide on a final pose / sketch, I think you should definitely check out the reference from www.characterdesigns.com (http://www.characterdesigns.com) / photosets. There are some great action / male poses, some with fake guns, I think, that could really help you develop the details. :)

For example (http://www.characterdesigns.com/index.php?sitepage=photosets):

http://www.characterdesigns.com/bandaid/content/photosets/1700/1713/Photoset_023_013.jpg

The reference is free and copyright free, which is completely perfect for a Workshop such as this. ;)

Bell7
11-13-2006, 08:08 PM
This is the first thing I thought of when I read the guidline text and tried a quick greyscale to see what it would look like. Will probably change the angle of the blade as I'm not sure about it.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/Bell777/headhunter.jpg

Rebeccak
11-13-2006, 08:11 PM
working on the body...arhh
krigberd i like the idea of a headhunting old lady.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/animziggy/head_detail.jpg
anim_ziggy, would really like to see you do the full body + render this out - looking nice so far, and the more you render, the more might be suggested to you in terms of further detailing. :)

Bell_7, like that concept - hope you take it further. I might suggest adding a bit more contrast to the image, really exxaggerate to get some dramatic effects. :)

Blessing
11-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Well, here's a closeup of my rough sketch. I don't think it will be the definitive one, but I'm going for something like this.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/Bless_paintings/HeadHunter.jpg

Rebeccak
11-13-2006, 09:06 PM
benkashmir,

If you like, I can post a paintover of your piece - totally up to you though. :)

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

benkashmir
11-13-2006, 09:08 PM
rebbecka tks for pointing that out.. bookmarked

bell7 - really strong, me like

well here is another attempt at redesigning the ak47.. now called ak07.
still strong on the wip but i think its much better.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/benkashmir/ak07new.jpg

AnimZiggy
11-13-2006, 09:29 PM
i can see the anatomy being totally off...want to fix that before i render it out... arhhh can use paintover... i looked at a lot of reference...and i f@@@ up i think... yeah ham-e he's a bit of a mutant i think...was watching x2 and kind of got inspired :scream:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/animziggy/headhunter_whole.jpg

default-rol
11-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Hey anim_ziggy,

I gave your pose a try. Hope that the .gif helps. :thumbsup:

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/4204/headhunterwholecritcd0.gif

Libor
11-13-2006, 11:00 PM
nice work so far, people :)

well heres my second stage of my character, maybe some anatomy issues but that was not the point of it:scream: - more like a scribble not finished piece.

trying to develop a character more, the face do the difference I think. his clothing is just temporary stand in, still searching for accesories etc...

Hope I ll jump into modelling soon, but I enjoy this part a lot so maybe Ill be late:D

http://www.cgart.org/paint/sketch282.jpg

pipocaz
11-13-2006, 11:10 PM
The butcher man that kills the innocent girls.
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/1449/bewiql2.th.jpg (http://img386.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bewiql2.jpg)

Hamilcar
11-14-2006, 03:15 AM
comments:

to all: great work! keep it coming!

Brownboot: really nice sketch on page 4

kaylon: really nice rendering back on page 4

anim_ziggy: Looks pretty good to me...one way to do it is to block out the forms first ie: draw cubes and primitive shapes to represent the major sections of the body once that looks solid you can draw and render til your hearts content.

default-rol: I really like the front view of your character but somehow it didn't translate to the side view very well, I hope you don't mind but I manipulated your drawing a bit to make it look more like the front view, I hope it's of help:)

http://stickman3d.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/headhunter_workshop/Mike_paintover.jpg

Ok here is my second rough sketch one more to go then I will choose the best one and do a finnished concept.

http://stickman3d.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/headhunter_workshop/Character_02_rough_01.jpg

Rebeccak
11-14-2006, 03:44 AM
Ham-e,

Really liking your concepts so far! :)

benkashmir,

I hope you don't mind - I did a paintover, just as a suggestion for a direction you might take your character. It's obviously not a finished painting, and I'm not very good at drawing guns, so I've left that to your discretion. ;)

I used the reference I mentioned on www.characterdesigns.com (http://www.characterdesigns.com) - hope this is useful: :)

http://anatomy.cgnetworks.com/CDP%20001/benkashmir_small.gif

http://anatomy.cgnetworks.com/CDP%20001/benkashmir.jpg

http://anatomy.cgnetworks.com/CDP%20001/benkashmir-2.jpg

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Aries326
11-14-2006, 04:39 AM
Blessing: Thx. Good start. Try to add some elements that will push the character further like maybe hes not so lucky and has been wounded in combat before (scars, missing ear, one eye) or wordrobe made of skin, a big @#$ knife or machete made of bone or something.

Ham-e: Nice concepts! Really like v.2... Very powerful looking and love the canisters on the side, id love to see whats inside but ive got a good idea.

Rebeccak: OMG, alotta great ref on that site,Thx. Also love seeing the paintovers, very helpful.

For the most part im happy with my design. For the back legs i was gonna have them come out of the lower back area of the guy but thought it made the head look too heavy and off balance so i figured some type of abdomen and pelvis would be necessary. Anyway heres my new wip. Just started modeling the basic forms to get a 3d idea of the mass of the character. Any comments or critique definately welcome and appreciated.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=104754&stc=1

wui
11-14-2006, 04:40 AM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/wuiakb/conceptnew.jpg
This is good, seems like everyone is getting into the "meat and potatoes" now.

This is the updated garment design. Waiting for my computer to be repaired for modeling.. hopefully in time. I am working on friends computer.. blah.

sekopasa-> Thx for the heads up. I agree my original garment was too arab/ eastern. I have adjusted after further research. I want to add a head scarf (seems very common in region) but I feel it would hide areas I was to display.

rebeccak-> You are very true with her flat top head. I will adjust asap. I prefer to not over shade my sketches. I appreciate you taking your time to paint over. But please do not. I always welcome the voice of a critic, so please do not stop taking note of any problems you see.

Will hopefully model soon (crossing fingers for my computers return).

Rebeccak
11-14-2006, 05:09 AM
rebeccak-> You are very true with her flat top head. I will adjust asap. I prefer to not over shade my sketches. I appreciate you taking your time to paint over. But please do not. I always welcome the voice of a critic, so please do not stop taking note of any problems you see.
wui, my apologies. :) I totally understand, and have removed the paintover. Absolutely no problem. :)

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Gentrifier
11-14-2006, 05:18 AM
Another concept -- one I think is better than my first. I think I'll try to get this guy into a good pose and flesh out some ideas for wardrobe and history (that helps me figure things out). He's the child of the saddness of Chernobyl and his only joy is taking revenge upon those responsible for his family's suffering.

[EDIT: Added a touch more detail, and will continue to do so as I explore this character]

http://www.alec.tv/images/headHunter2.jpg

Comments & crits welcome.

Thanks,

Alec

Darkhorse3d
11-14-2006, 06:08 AM
Hey all! - finally found time to post something
still more concepts to do...weapons, clothing, body type, etc...

This is my first workshop and I am enjoying everyones ideas & concepts, keep it up everyone!
I'm not sure which head shots to go with yet, so crits and comments are welcome

Rebeccak
11-14-2006, 06:29 AM
Gentrifier,

Good to see your piece, would like to see you shade it further. :)

Darkhorse3d,

Great stuff, I really like that first sketch the best. :thumbsup: I can really see that becoming quite a cool render, and beyond that, a cool 3D model.

Aries326,

Great concept sketch, did you post that earlier? It would be nice to see that from the front view if you haven't posted it singly.

benkashmir
11-14-2006, 06:35 AM
rebbecka, thanks for the paintover, but the pose i painted with the missile launcher wasent his final pose, just the best pose to show the weapon.. for the final pose i think i prefer more the earlier pose i did, as i wanted him to have more mechanic behavior and not so human..

but again tks for the paintover which is always welcome as it still helped me figured out some shading directions and lightings

DanielSLimon
11-14-2006, 07:51 AM
For the most part im happy with my design. For the back legs i was gonna have them come out of the lower back area of the guy but thought it made the head look too heavy and off balance so i figured some type of abdomen and pelvis would be necessary. Anyway heres my new wip. Just started modeling the basic forms to get a 3d idea of the mass of the character. Any comments or critique definately welcome and appreciated.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=104754&stc=1

Wow, already begins to see the first models in 3D!
Good concept and good start in 3D, I'm waiting your updates ;)

default-rol
11-14-2006, 11:11 AM
default-rol: I really like the front view of your character but somehow it didn't translate to the side view very well, I hope you don't mind but I manipulated your drawing a bit to make it look more like the front view, I hope it's of help:)

http://stickman3d.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/headhunter_workshop/Mike_paintover.jpg

@ Ham-e >>> Thanks a load for that! I sort of drew a generic side pose to get something out there as a bit of a place holder, and hoped to fix it up in the actual painting I am planning on doing. Your adjustments (the liquify tool?) have really pushed him in the right direction and I would have taken forever to get there myself! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks a load.

@ Libor >>> Very "Mad Max" like, I'm loving it. can't wait to see him realised in 3D!

@ pipocaz >>> Good start, keep going.

@ Ham-e >>> Digging that concept, looking sweet.

@ Aries326 >>> Your concept is totally twisted, and the model is really bringing that across so far. Superb!

@ Wui >>> Is she holding that head by the lower jaw? Your idea is cool, but I feel that it would be quite hard to hold a head in that position and look as relaxed as she does unless she's got super strong wrists! LOL. Great stuff though, keep going. Are you taking this to 3D?

@ Gentrifier >>> when I first was starting out on this project I was considering a mutant offspring from a disaster in the same vain as you are doing. I'm glad I didn't though, as yours would have put mine to shame. Great stuff, can't wait for more.

@ Darkhorse3d >>> Loving the facial markings and the idea of him wearing a mask. masks are scary arn't they? When you paint an expression on the character (like clowns) it freaks me out as you don't know what they are really thinking. My character started out like that (with a mask) too >>>

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1107/maskideathumbnailshn4.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing yours develop.

Keep it coming everyone, so much great work on show. I reckon that some of these ideas, once polished, will look great in portfolios. :thumbsup:

Cheers

MIKE

Blessing
11-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Blessing: Thx. Good start. Try to add some elements that will push the character further like maybe hes not so lucky and has been wounded in combat before (scars, missing ear, one eye) or wordrobe made of skin, a big @#$ knife or machete made of bone or something.

Yes! Definitely, he (or she, maybe I'll go for a female), will be not so lucky. I will show his combat consequences, and I'll change the knife for something bigger. I'll try to get the definitive sketch on my next post. Thanks a lot for your advices, I really apreciate them. They're really helpful.
Once again, thanks a lot!

Cheers! :)

Bless

PS: Please, if someone see something I don't (example: anatomy mistakes) let me know. All your crits are really welcome, even if you have to destroy my work. I have sooooo much to learn...

Rebeccak
11-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Well, here's a closeup of my rough sketch. I don't think it will be the definitive one, but I'm going for something like this.

Blessing, I think you have a good basic start here, but I think that you could really benefit from looking at reference:

http://www.characterdesigns.com/index.php?sitepage=photosets

http://www.characterdesigns.com/bandaid/content/photosets/325/344/Photoset_011_019.JPG

Why not try and refine your sketch based off of the reference above or similar reference from the characterdesigns site? :)

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Hamilcar
11-14-2006, 09:13 PM
comments:

Rebecca: Thanks for the kind words and thanks for visiting my portfolio.

Aries326: Thanks for the comments I'm glad you like the concept.

Gentrifier: Good stuff now you just need to add the details, one thing tho maybe your character could adopt a wider stance, feet wider apart, to help balance that double torso.

Darkhorse3d: Both of the characters are very good! I would develope the masks a bit more.

default-rol: Thanks, ya I used the liquify tool pretty handy for making quick adjustments like that...I'm glad you liked the result, it's no swet off my back and I've already learned tones from doing this workshop:)

Ok here is my third rough, maybe you guys can help me choose wich one to make the final concept and make suggestions for improvements. Thanks

http://stickman3d.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/headhunter_workshop/Character_03_rough_01.jpg

Gentrifier
11-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Yeah, ham-e, he/they/it need a lot more detailing. The more detailing I add, the more it will become painfully apparent my utter lack of anatomical knowledge, so I'm going make sure to use my plentiful, albeit rarely used, collection of anatomy books as I progress.

I like your idea of a broader stance. I'll block one out when I get home tonight to see how that looks.

One general suggestion to the moderators of this thread: Each workshop should really be it's own subforum so that we can have individual threads so that all of the great help we're getting doesn't get buried deep in a lengthy, ever growing collection of art & critique. Just a thought.

Thanks,

Alec

engelik
11-15-2006, 12:18 AM
I've been kinda busy, here is an update.. trying to get the proportions and volumes right, to get ready for the 3d.. soon i will make the character in full color, and all the details. if somebody notice something strange about the body, please tell me.
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5603/anatomycolormr2.jpg
(http://imageshack.us)

Rebeccak
11-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Hi guys,

It looks as though people are really digging in, which is good to see. :)

There is some great free reference to be found here:

http://www.anatomyatlases.org/atlasofanatomy/plateindex.shtml

Definitely check it out as you are attempting to refine your characters! :)

wui
11-15-2006, 03:02 AM
Thx for feed bck for design. I will work on final pose soonish.. hopefully start 3D

Darkhorse- I always thought face painting would be a great way to go. Intimidation, history, character.. So I like the face painted ones.. but I dont really a get a since of personality yet, but Im sure it will come with time.

default rol- Yeah the head thing was just me messing around. that isnt the final pose I had in mind. I will sketch it out soon and post. I will def take it to 3d.. but Im waiting on my computer to be returned from repairs.. so maybe not in time for this.

Ham-e - Cool design. very interesting and unique for a rough stage. It feels square. How do you feel about adding some more form to the design. wider shoulders or wider hips, something to break the simplistic box that is the sillouette. I dont know if that makes since.. but yeah.

engelik - good start on anatomy. too early to critique character.. but cool start

Hamilcar
11-15-2006, 04:59 AM
wui: thanks for the suggestion i'll definately keep that in mind thanks.

to all:

I was hoping I could get some feedback from you guys and gals. which one of these concepts do you think I should go with? and how do you think it could be improved?

Thanks

http://stickman3d.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/headhunter_workshop/Headhunter_roughs.jpg

Gentrifier
11-15-2006, 05:08 AM
Hey Ham-e. I like #3 the best, although I'd like to see more ornamentation on him throughout. To me, he has the feeling of a priest in an outfit prepared for war but nonetheless ceremonial. Etchings on his armbands (the ones around the bicep as well as the forearm) similar to those on his chest plate might help to bring him together nicely.

I can imagine an orthadox religion that somehow interprets head-hunting somewhere in the Bible -- some obscure passage that allows psychopaths to travel around Russia cleansing souls by beheading them.....or something like that.

So, I vote for #3.

Alec

Rebeccak
11-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Ham-e,

I like #1 on a shape basis, I can see that looking really interesting in Zbrush (in terms of the head, mainly). I like the breastplate of #3 and the legs of #2. Maybe if you could combine the best elements of the 3 :D - say the head of 1, the breastplate / armor of 3 and the legs of 2 - that might be cool. :)

Gentrifier
11-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Slooooowwwwwly adding detail to this guy. As I paint on him, the story changes a little bit.
This painting is exposing my fairly weak understanding of anatomy, so any help is welcome.
I'm running out of time in the concept phase, so I intend to finish him up by tomorrow night come hell or high water.

I had the idea of putting blindfolds on these guys (yes, I see them as multiple entities), which forced me to change the dead form in the middle of his body to become a living being so that he can be the eyes for the body. I fleshed out a portion of the little guy's face, added some ribs, a bit more detail in his foot and arm. Still plenty to do. Haven't addressed the legs & hips, and I need a lot of help with the anatomy.

Hands are insanely difficult for me, so I'll redo the screen-left one and add the screen right once I'm happy with his arm, which is intentionally longer than the screen left....

Anyway, here they are:

http://www.alec.tv/images/headHunter2_1.jpg

default-rol
11-15-2006, 09:54 AM
@ Blessing >>> I look forward to seeing this design fleshed out, and RK has given you the exact same suggestion I would have. Keep going, it should look good.

@ engelik >>> Is he wearing an exoskeleton? Cool......

@ Ham-e >>> No.3, with the breast plate and pipework of number 2 for me. Looking great, and I presume you are taking it to 3D? Sweet...

@ Gentrifier >>> Looking crazy, I love it. I'm hoping to be in the modeling phase by the weekend, so loads of work for me to do too.

Great stuff everyone!

DanielSLimon
11-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Hy all!
I'm glad to see all of posts, i'm learning a little of all.
Well, here my third post about my head hunter, this is a first model in 3D, he need some details and improvements, I hope i can make this soon ;)

EAD
11-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Ham-e> nice designs, I'm going with no.2 all the way, I think it has the most menacing presence being taller and looking more agile, I recon I could outrun 2 and 3 no problem therefore keeping my head attached. but I do like the graphic approach to the breast plate on 3.
Not sure if it was intentional but i love the idea of carrying heads in steamed up water cooler tanks :).

Something from me, wanted it to be a girl, a mercenary, gleaning clothing/armour/weaponry left over form different historic periods in some sort of post-apocalyptical anything goes society. I'm considering adding some hi- tech elements to the mix as it is future based.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/5746/ae1106headhunter1sketchak0.jpg

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/5115/ae1106headhunter2lineartal8.jpg

default-rol
11-15-2006, 01:30 PM
@ DanielSLimon >>> This is looking great, I need to get to the next stage soon.

@ EAD >>> Great stuff mate, hope to see a colour version soon.

@ anim_ziggy >>> After deliberation over your pose, an alternative way of viewing it has been proposed. Here it is,

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2869/headhunterwholealt2pi1.gif

Hope that helps clear stuff up. :)

MIKE

AnimZiggy
11-15-2006, 01:32 PM
yup and thanks a million again...i ll get my hands on it tonight...

Rebeccak
11-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Gentrifier,

I think the key is just using as much reference as possible to address the anatomical weaknesses as you come across them. You've got the general idea, now the hard part remains to refine - definitely check out www.characterdesigns.com for reference as well as http://www.anatomyatlases.org/atlasofanatomy/plateindex.shtml. Both are great resources for reference - there's also (nudity) Ben Miller's Gallery (http://justmeina.deviantart.com/gallery/). Keep pushing your rendering! :)

DanielSLimon,

That's adorable! :) I'm going to be hard pressed to comment much 3D wise, but I love the design of your character and can't wait to see your progress!

EAD formerly known as AOAH,

Great to finally see your stuff - will be great to see you develop these, I like the cyber trenchcoat idea and it will be interesting to see your spin on it - attaching your cool paint style to something substantive and detailed will be well worth watching. :)

Gentrifier
11-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Nice work, Daniel! I love mixing of creepy and cute, and this guy has that written all over him (more from the idea than from the model since you're still detailing the model).

Looks like a nice spin on the topic. Keep at it!

Alec

default-rol
11-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Here are my ideas for the dress of my character. These are the basic military elements of his dress, and will have the tribal elements added over the top, like my character has customised his uniform.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/8454/fashionshowfront1li5.jpg

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/5691/fashionshowfront2eo4.jpg

I'm personally feeling stronger towards the first two than the latter two. Once I've made up my mind I'll get on with a back view and a more detailed version of the costume.

Cheers

Hamilcar
11-16-2006, 03:10 AM
comments:

Gentrifier: Thanks for the great feedback, I've used some of your ideas, very helpful:)
;Your concept is coming along nicely I wouldn't be too woried about the anatomy I think you can get away with quite alot with this monster, as for hands use your own as reference if you have a mirror or digi cam you can use yourwhole body as a great reference.

Rebecca: Thanks for the idea of combining elements I've put it to good use:)

default-rol: Thanks for the suggestions I went with #3 as it seems to be the most popular with some changes. Ya the plan is to go 3d, but on step at a time;) as for your concept I like the look of #1 but I like the shoulder/chest protector on #4.

DanielSLimon- wow 3d already, looks good, I look forward to seeing it finnished.

EAD- Thanks for the feedback, I tried to make him more agile looking and I'm including the cannisters, but I think metal as your not meant to see the heads; I like your concept and nice sketches.

wui: Thanks I used your suggestion.

Ok here is #4 I think this is it as I've spent alot of my time on roughs. I think this captures the basic idea of the character and now I'll try to make a finnished concept using this character.

http://stickman3d.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/headhunter_workshop/Character_04_rough_01.jpg

Darkhorse3d
11-16-2006, 03:40 AM
Comments-

Default-rol - Thanx, yeah masks add a sense of mystery and stirs up a bit of fear
I like where you design is going for you third uniform concept. Keep it up!

Rebeccak - Thanx for your compliment, looking forward to seeing how yours develops

Ham-e - Thanx, I plan on refining the whole look once I pull everything together
I personally like your first version, reminds me of Predator!

Wui - Thanx, personality on the way!

AnimZiggy
11-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Ham-e go with the fourth one....or if u dont want an 'alien-ish' character go with the 3rd one... my 2 favs!

kaylon
11-16-2006, 12:26 PM
I think this is as far as I can go :( ... Don't think I'll have time to model him.

I decided as I was doing some further roughs to add a small amount of "toon" style to him, nothing over the top just a dash and splash here and there...so here he is...my Headhunter.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p110/vanvalen/headHunter_03.jpg

K

default-rol
11-16-2006, 12:53 PM
@ Kaylon >>> Great to see this finished up! Very well done. Also it is great to see it fully presented as a model sheet that could easily be turned into a 3D asset.

My only real crit of your headhunter would be that he appears to have "worked out" between the perspective illustration and the full orthographics, and then "pumped up" a little bit more for the head orthos. That aside, you get a very good sense of the character you have created.

I hope you got something out of the project, and please keep stopping by as input on others work to help them get to the standard that you have taken your piece to will be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

benkashmir
11-16-2006, 07:48 PM
hello, i had some time to day to start detailing my head hunters, i change his pose abit and decided i will give some type of a squad auto weapon, maybe "minime" or "negev", its more appropriate for his large scale..

first i will draw his body muscles and details guidlines and then i will start to give it volume proper lighting and bump textures..

the green thing is his endoskeleton made of bug metrial under his living human tissue..

kaylon - goooooooood!, i like.

anatomy crits are most welcome
(disregard his nose position and shape - it will change.)
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/benkashmir/headhunterconcept1.jpg

engelik
11-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Almost done with the body:
http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/6418/bodykb3.jpg

Now I'm not sure about the head.. witch one do you like?
http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/3392/headscd6.jpg

I like the n.2 and 3...

Blessing
11-17-2006, 01:27 AM
Hi guys,

It looks as though people are really digging in, which is good to see. :)

There is some great free reference to be found here:

http://www.anatomyatlases.org/atlasofanatomy/plateindex.shtml

Definitely check it out as you are attempting to refine your characters! :)

Great link! Thanks a lot, Becca! I love it! :)

And thank you and default-rol for the suggestions. I'm working with refs, I always do. I'll be posting soon my next stage. :)

Great works everyone! It's really cool to see your characters!

Cheers!

Bless

DanielSLimon
11-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Nice work, Daniel! I love mixing of creepy and cute, and this guy has that written all over him (more from the idea than from the model since you're still detailing the model).

Looks like a nice spin on the topic. Keep at it!

Alec

To all that are waiting to see more, I hope not defraud, I'm working in a short times in the model, because I'm too busy in the office :shrug:

Gentrifier, I'm glad that you like the idea, the details of the model I think to do them with small details and the texture, but basically the model will be like you have seen it.

PSekal
11-17-2006, 07:59 AM
here is the body concept for my head hunter
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/jaracz/kozak_pose1.jpg
and here is the head close up once again i hope this time it will show up
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/jaracz/kozak_head_concept.jpg
c&c always welcome
and great work concepts every body its nice to see so many diffrent ideas
can;t wait to see them i 3d

default-rol
11-17-2006, 10:53 AM
@ benkashmir >>> Your chest is starting to flatten out, as if there is not much volume in the rib cage. Just be careful of that and try to make it work more as a volume. Great going otherwise! :thumbsup:

@ engelik >>> I think no1, or No.2 goes best with that body type you are painting as No.3 is too broad. I personally like No.2 best.

@ Blessing >>> No problem, keep going. you are doing fine. :thumbsup:

@ PSekal >>> Nice pose on the full character drawing. He's looking grand.

Keep it up everyone! I hope to have some more stuff up in a little bit.

Cheers

Aries326
11-18-2006, 12:14 AM
Looks great guys(n gals). Well Ive been modeling away.Rebuilt some areas that had bad topology, and trying to add some detail to start really chipping away at this thing. Going snowboarding next week so i need to try to get as much done as possible. Not really fond of texturing so i think im gonna hit a wall so im tryin to make sure i give that portion enough time so i can hopefully finish. Anyway heres my latest wip. It might change slightly but here it is so far.Any C&C is welcome and appreciated as always .
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=104974&stc=1

Blessing
11-18-2006, 02:49 AM
Well, I decided my character will be a female. Even when her pelvis and part of her legs will be covered by clothes, I decided to sketch the full body, since it's the first time I paint one. :scream:
Here's my rough sketch. C & C are really welcome.

Oh, she won't be floating, I swear. ;)

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/Bless_paintings/HeadHunter1-color-small.jpg

Great works everyone!

Regards

Bless

lkruel
11-18-2006, 03:54 AM
Lots of good works people, keep it up,

I started modelling this guy and here's what I have so far, I'm still debating wether or not go full blown fur on some of the parts but I really wanted to maintain a "Celebrity Deathmatch" kinda claymation feel to him.

Rip it up
http://luizkruel.com/boris/borisBody.jpg

killermachine
11-18-2006, 12:37 PM
it looks lik i saw this thread very late..can i stil join? i'l be doing 2d...

michael-olszak
11-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Great work everybody. there will be some very interesting results here. i can tell!

Here are some of mine sketches so far. i'm not sure yet what direction i want to go it so i'm just exprimenting.

http://www.molszak.nl/cgtalk/hunter/hunter001.jpg

default-rol
11-18-2006, 01:13 PM
@ Aries326 >>> That is looking fine so far. Are you building for film, T.V. or games?

@ Blessing >>> Good idea to start off getting the form right underneath and then adding to the base pose (like clothes etc, as in real life.) Good stuff, keep going and don't give up! :thumbsup:

@ lkruel >>> The feeling of this character is really good. You've certainly hit your claymation target. Can't wait to see more. :thumbsup:

@ killermachine >>> there are still a few weeks to go, so of course you can join in! Hope to see some of your work soon.

@ michael-olszak >>> These sketches have a good feel to them, and I can't wait to see one of them developed further. great stuff.

Cheers all,

MIKE :applause:

killermachine
11-18-2006, 04:03 PM
here...few of my ideas..feed back would b highly appriciated
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/killermachinez/concept1.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/killermachinez/concept2.jpg

Gentrifier
11-19-2006, 12:17 AM
I'll start work on the maquette tomorrow, so the body details (except feet & hands) are as far as I'll take it in the 2D world. I'm still deciding whether or not I want to build him in Super Sculpey or Chavant . I never worked with Chavant before, so I'll probably do that. I still have to do simplified orthographics. I'll try a different art style for those just to keep me loose. Anyway, here is the small update. I broadened the screen-right shoulders, added guts and poorly sutured stomach. Also blew away the old legs and threw in some WAY too symmetrical legs, but they work fine. He also now has 2 belly-buttons (innies).

Thanks,
Alec

http://www.alec.tv/images/headHunter2_3.jpg

Hamilcar
11-19-2006, 02:32 AM
Hey Alec, sounds cool...good luck with the sculpt...I'm not sure how much experience you have in sculpting but if you have tones then just ignore me:) I just suggest you make a really good base and armature, make sure it's realy solid and make sure you've got the proportions and pose the way you want't them before you start throwing on the clay. just my 2 cents.

default-rol
11-19-2006, 11:36 AM
@ killermachine >>> solid start you have here, I will reserve critique until you have more work posted up so I can see the direction you are headed better. I like him chilling out on the wrecked engine though, cool. :thumbsup:

@ Gentrifier >>> looks like you are good to go on the sculpture. I really can't wait to see this in 3D as it looks really twisted. Great, I love it.

Cheers

wui
11-20-2006, 03:34 PM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/wuiakb/starter.jpg

Final got my computer back. Here is model so far. Some areas are off (shoulders, arm thickness). Any crit is needed for sure. Thank you.

comments->
Ham-e - Im glad to see the new concept. reminds me of a stone sculpture or wood cut.

Michael O - Like the sketches u posted. good form. hard cut lines for the muscles forms. The top one second from left sticks out to me most.

ares326 - cool work, Zbrush? Good start. what do u think of maybe streching/ curving the jaws more.. almost bending them out. really selling the fact they will bite your head off.

Killermachine - Sweet concept, I enjoy the bottom one with cliff n front of plane. Ace russian pilot gone mad?

ltr guys

Blessing
11-21-2006, 04:25 AM
Well, here's what I've got now. I hope to be in the right direction, so, as you know, comments and crits are really welcome.

There's so much to do, I hope I can get to the deadline. :scream:

@ Aries326: Great modeling!

@ Gentrifier: I love your concept. Really original. I can't wait to see the final work.

@ default-rol: Thanks a lot for your words. :)

Cool works everyone!

Regards

Bless

Rebeccak
11-21-2006, 04:45 AM
Hi Blessing,

Good to see your progress! :) I hope you don't mind, but since you mentioned that critique was welcomed, I did a little paintover which I hope you find useful, as a suggestion:

http://anatomy.cgnetworks.com/CDP%20001/Blessing.gif

Cheers, :)

-Rebeccak

Blessing
11-21-2006, 05:31 AM
Becca:

I don't want to go to sleep without saying "Thank you!" ;)

I understand the legs and foot position in your paintover, but I don't get if there's anything else to fix. Maybe it's because I'm sleepy (2:30 am, as I type), and I can't even catch the gif. :p
Please, if I'm missing something about your paintover, let me know!

Thanks a lot, once again! :bounce:

Cheers!

Bless :)

PS: I promise to fix her right hand as soon as I can. :banghead:

default-rol
11-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Hey all,

I'm well behind now but will endeavour to catch up over the coming days. :D

@ Wui >>> Decent start. My immediate reactions are that her neck is too long to be probable for a realistic character (especailly in that side view,) her arms seem to sit too far back on the side view too. On the back view she doesn't appear to have a scapula or Lattissimus Dorsi and has a kink in her spine. I don't know style you are aiming for with the character (realistic v's stylised,) so I am going to leave it there for now. Also, I remember her having clothes from the concept art so once you've got the big shapes in the correct place you will be good to go anyway. Nice stuff. :thumbsup:

@ Blessing >>> Great to see this moving forward and it is getting better each time you post! Well done. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Brownboot
11-21-2006, 01:00 PM
@ blessing: You also need to make her hips wider. Lookin good so far.

Good stuff from everybody.

engelik
11-21-2006, 04:49 PM
I choose to change the face.. i´m going to start modeling the face, to see how it goes..
http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/5355/cara2if7.jpg

se7enthcin
11-21-2006, 06:25 PM
I've had this guy sitting in my head for a bit. I want to get to more sketches of him. I don't think I've got the pants just right. I'll be doing more soon. I don't know if with all my work that I'm doing if I'll be able to finish but here you go.

http://www.coldseatproductions.com/WIP/rabbitSketch.jpg

default-rol
11-22-2006, 10:29 AM
@ engelik >>> Looking forward to seeing the model of this one :thumbsup:

@ se7enthcin >>> Looks good, though my immediate reaction is his torso seems a little bit too long (if he is based on a traditional human of course.) Hope to see more work if you get the chance.

wui
11-22-2006, 12:44 PM
thx default rol. I adjusted her neck (still need to fix it more bck now that I look at it more). alot of tweaks and started shader build up. Havent added spec map so it looks kinda plastic happy. This is my first attempt at an anatomical correct grl, so I wana spend time on the body. (dont pay attention to the eyes for now plez)

se7enthcin -> nice concept. I lik the weird bunny and his nose is interesting. On the pistol hand his pointer finger looks a lil too long. His upper bod is kinda long.. or maybe he is just wearing low riders.. he is a hip cool head hunter..? one other note the spine is too boney, I question if he is starving that much.

Here is updated pics w/ close up. I notice now she has massive feet too. Blah

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/wuiakb/turk.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/wuiakb/turkclose.jpg

pipocaz
11-23-2006, 01:14 AM
some more sketches of the butcher head hunter, I'm gonna try to do it in 3d now :) My first time doing a full character from scratch so don't be to tough in the 3d part. :)

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9139/h1small.jpg
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8610/h2small.jpg
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8450/h3smal.jpg

Hamilcar
11-23-2006, 03:30 AM
things have gotten kind of quiet in here...I guess everyone is busy building 3d models:)

se7enthcin: nice concept, my only suggestion would be to get rid of the bunny ears/spider fangs, they sort of looked tagged on. Other than that I think it's a very cool image.

Ok here is my concept image please feel free to crit it up, thats what I'm here for. Do you think it's portfolio worthy? what would you change to make it better? Thanks.

http://stickman3d.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/headhunter_workshop/Character_04_V3.jpg

default-rol
11-23-2006, 07:17 AM
@ pipocaz >>> Good solid start you have here. Keep going and i'm sure you will learn loads from building your first full human 3D model. :thumbsup:

@ Ham-e >>> I really like your character and his pose seems really stiff in keeping with his big, bulky suit. Also using a "regular human" (if they even exist) as a silhouette scale reference is an excellent idea. Are you taking this on into colour and then on into 3D?

I'm working on this project alongside doing the "creature painting" CG Workshop with Don Seegmiller at the moment, so my output has slowed down a little bit. I should have more stuff up over the weekend. I've got a basic 3D frame built, but it needs work before I can hope to post it up. :scream:

Cheers

AnimZiggy
11-23-2006, 08:49 PM
have been busy and now im not working at all so spend the day today on this arhhh not much i know...but i m slow...especially when it comes to good topology...after looking at loads of references i m here so far.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9273/headhunterwip3dnr1.jpg

KRIGBERT
11-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Hm, I'm waay behind - but I'm starting to think this might end up pretty nice. I'm imagining that I'll end up with a nice, cozy image of the old woman, sitting in her chair, working away. Kind of those old dutch paintings of women doing housework, knitting or churning butter. Only she's sawing through some poor guy's throat.

Here's the scetch:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/KRIGBERT/kuttekutte.gif

Compisition, anatomy, lighting and any other sort of criticism or tips are very welcome.

se7enthcin
11-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Looks good, though my immediate reaction is his torso seems a little bit too long (if he is based on a traditional human of course.) Hope to see more work if you get the chance.

nice concept. I lik the weird bunny and his nose is interesting. On the pistol hand his pointer finger looks a lil too long. His upper bod is kinda long.. or maybe he is just wearing low riders.. he is a hip cool head hunter..? one other note the spine is too boney, I question if he is starving that much.

Michael and Schoneck,

His torso seems a bit long because he is wearing pants that ride low on his waist. The fingers were intentionally stretched as well. With the entire character I am wanting an elongated look. The spine is a bit too bony I agree, however, I believe I just did that to give him an element of being a creature or inhuman. It may have not been a great decision but I've got many more to do in developing this character. Thank you for your replies.

nice concept, my only suggestion would be to get rid of the bunny ears/spider fangs, they sort of looked tagged on. Other than that I think it's a very cool image.

Hamilcar,

I appreciate your opinion. However I think if I removed the bunny ears/spider fangs it would nigate the entire concept of the character. I think it may be a good idea to talk a bit about the backstory of this character:

“Across the battle fields of Post-Eastern Europe, the head hunter stalks his prey. He knows this place, in fact he was born and raised there…”

His father was a prominent general in the war across what was eastern europe. His mother had been killed three months prior to his 8th birthday. The father had no one else to take care of his son and being arrogant he felt that the safest place for a general's son was with his father. Even if it meant that he was on the battlefield. His father came from a native American heritage and had given his child a stuffed animal. He told the child that it was his spirit animal.

In the early years of his life he befriended this rabbit stuffed animal. This animal was the only one he found comfort in. It was his escape from his home in the war torn fields. The rabbit had large floppy ears and he use to play with them. He would swing them back and forth as explosions were set off in the distance.

His father made it clear that the battles he fought was his children. Feeling excluded the child wanted to be part of his father's life and tried to learn war from his dad. His dad rejected the idea. The kid tried to learn from his dad from a distance. He attempted to learn strategies, battle tactics and the like. Eventually he learned the rest from the foot soldiers and infantry. All except one teased him and beat on him. He learned to fight back, he learned from their tough persecution. It may have been different had the soldiers been a few years older, but at this point in the war they were sending 15 and 16 year olds to die. The kid was only 10 at the time. The one soldier who didn't tease or beat on the child was a 20 year old commander. He tried to teach him what he knew about combat but died in combat shortly after in an ambush in the field.

It was about this time that the stuffed rabbit started talking to the child. He told the child things, comforting things that got him through the days. He kept the talking rabbit a secret but people knew something wasn't right with the child. By his 15th birthday the military wanted him to fight in the war. His father had become very ill from an infected wound he got in an assignation attempt on him. There was no one to say no. The kid's demeanor had become very hard. He was fierce and no one picked on him any more. He wanted to go into battle.

On patrol of a ridge in the second week into his tour he found a field of jack rabbit carcasses. He kept the stuffed animal strapped to his backpack. His psychosis had no limits. It made sense to the kid to become the thing that he most enjoyed. He skinned all the carcasses and fashioned a head dress for himself. He remembered stories his dad had told him about his warriors ancestors who wore animal head dresses. Wearing the rabbit ears for the first time he found a smoldering crater where his platoon last was. It would seem that he was alone.

Wondering the battlefields he killed whoever threatened him. One day this changed and he became the hunter. Eradicating those who stood in his way. He was no longer on a side. His mind and himself was alone.

Hamilcar
11-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by se7enthcin I appreciate your opinion. However I think if I removed the bunny ears/spider fangs it would nigate the entire concept of the character. I think it may be a good idea to talk a bit about the backstory of this character:

se7enthcin: Good storey. Thanks for sharing, given that's what your working with I would try to redesign the head dress to make it look more like hanging rabbit pelts, maybe hang some from his belt as well. I also think he should have that stuffed animal strapped to his back, as you've suggested in the storey. Also it would be nice to tie in the head hunting aspect in some way.

odc
11-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi guys,

I've just found something that might be of use to you. Ben Mathis has a character development video tutorial on his site http://www.poopinmymouth.com, it's the Low Poly Character Series, Delilah in tutorials section (http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm).

default-rol
11-25-2006, 01:08 PM
@ anim_ziggy >>> good start on the frame you have here. What specs are you aiming for?

@ KRIGBERT >>> Twisted idea, I love it!! :thumbsup:

@ se7enthcin >>> love the backing story, I hope to see you develop the concept further if you find the time. :)

@ OneDeadCat >>> Thanks for the link, should be helpful to a lot of the games modelers here. :thumbsup:

Thanks all

Blessing
11-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, here's my background's sketch. It looks really flat, I know. But I'll be working on it as soon as I can.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/Bless_paintings/Head-Hunter-small.jpg

I'm not a lucky girl. Unfortunately, I really don't know if I could get to the Workshop's deadline. My image is too heavy for my computer, so I'm working on a friend of mine's machine, in the moments she can give it to me. But she is also working on her architectural designs, so... wish me luck. I will work the hardest I can in the few moments I get her PC. And I want to express my gratitude to her, for being so nice and generous with me. Thanks a lot, Carito!. I love you so much! :love:

Any comment and critique will be really appreciated. By the way, awesome works here!

Regards

Bless

*feeling sad* :cry:

AnimZiggy
11-26-2006, 07:57 PM
hey was hoping as realistic as possible.maybe slightly stylised.... worked a bit on the head..didnt really work this weekend though..:eek:

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/8594/headhunterwip3d01gf1.jpg

still very rough model...considering to take it to zbrush for scars etc etc

Rebeccak
11-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the long absence from this thread, it looks like everyone is doing well and it's cool to see peoples' progress. I'm leaving the critique to Mike, since this is his Workshop. :)

Okay, I'm just back from having spent a few days out of town for Thanksgiving, no PS / Painter access which gave me some nice time to sketch the old fashioned way, which I don't do often enough.

I combined the "Headhunter" concept with the Eye Monster concept I'm working on for Don Seegmiller's CGWorkshop and came up with the following rough story:

Boris was a regular guy until one day while fishing on his father's small fish trawler his eyes were gauged out by a wayward fish hook. Boris was thrown overboard and never seen again by the landlubbing masses. He, however, survives at the bottom of the ocean, headless, and ever searching for his missing pair of eyes. He collects the eyes of fishes, dead sailors, and aquatic life in the neverending quest to be reunited with his own pair of eyes. Having lost his head over time, however, Boris randomly attaches eyes to his body in the vain quest to be able to regain his sight once more.

I'm going to give painting one of these a bit of a go.

Boris caressing the head of a dead sailor, and plucking out his eyes:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/CGWorkshop_Seegmiller/Week-1_Monster-04_small.jpg

Boris' kelp covered and decaying hand:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/CGWorkshop_Seegmiller/Week-1_Monster-03_small.jpg

Er, Boris:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/CGWorkshop_Seegmiller/Week-1_Monster-05_small.jpg

Keep up the good work guys! :)

default-rol
11-27-2006, 10:50 AM
@ Blessing >>> Looks like this is slowly coming together, great to see you keep pushing it forward. :thumbsup:

@ anim_ziggy >>> If you do want to make your character more realistic, then I'd suggest using the "5 eye line" concept. The width of the eye inside the eyelids is used as a measuring tool, and there is "usually" about 1 eye width between eyes (about the same distance as the bottom of the nose.) Your character has a very broad nose, granted, but it still looks like his eyes are even further apart than the base of the nose. Just some thoughts for your consideration. :) Keep going, it's looking good. If you use ZBrush a lot, I'd definately suggest you trying to add surface detail on your character using projection master or just sculpting. Can't wait.

@ RebeccaK >>> Nice concept, great stuff. Love the pen sketches, beautiful line quality.

Thanks everyone.

Danko
11-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi there! :)
After talking with some mates already participating on this thread I thought it could be funny to work on something also! I started with a very basic mesh I did quickly in 3ds Max and later on moved to ZBrush. Once there I started adding detail to that basic head and torso until I was more or less happy with the model. Then I get it back to 3Ds Max and tried to achieve some nice look using Mental ray renderer and SSS shaders. I made no drafts as I started deciding his look directly sculpting in ZBrush. Sorry for that. Here a pic of the mesh with the shader applied...

http://xs109.xs.to/xs109/06482/Rude016_CG0_sm.jpg

Rebeccak
11-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Wow, awesome stuff Danko! What's this guy's story? :)

Danko
11-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi Rebeccak! ;)
Glad you liked it and thanks for the comment! While modeling this guy, I tried to keep in mind the guidelines at the begining of this post, so his background may not be very original I guess. He's the kind of person with no mercy at all. After years of being a mercenary at war he lost almost all his humanity. He doesn't talk, doesn't even scream... just watch and ruthless kill when he's asked to do it. Scary crazy dude basically :P
Should have post this image before, but here it goes. It's the process from the main basic mesh to the final one.

http://xs109.xs.to/xs109/06482/Rude016_CG_WIP_Full_sm.jpg

michael-olszak
11-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Wow great work Danko. very nice lookin model man. COOL!
Awesome concepts Rebecca. love the creepy styly of your's.

Everyone else too of course. Good work.

Tonik
11-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Wow, I have some major catching up to do - I'm still throwing ideas around as I've been really busy recently. There's some great work but the stuff I really like has been Corvax's.

Here are some very,very rough thumbnails :

http://www.tomclive.co.uk/concepts.jpg

I have pages of sketchy ideas and so maybe it's time to get some polished character sketches worked up.

pipocaz
11-28-2006, 12:36 AM
(post by engelik - we use the same pc.. )

I started the modeling today, trying to get the topology right, here is the result:

(sketch for reference)
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4732/clipboard01aj5.th.jpg (http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clipboard01aj5.jpg)

smoothed render
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/8112/renderqm1.jpg

topology
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/74/topolrb0.jpg

Any C&C welcome :) i'm here to learn ;)

By the way, i am modeling in blender :)

Danko - love the shader, it feels real. ;)

Rebeccak
11-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Hi pipocaz,

I did a paintover of your image which I can post if you wish, just let me know. :)

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

DanielSLimon
11-28-2006, 08:00 AM
Hi all!
A lot of time since my last post, but as said, i'm very busy at work :sad:
Well! i can see a very great posts!
Rebeccak: I can't wait to see more!
Danco: WOW, good job soldier, i like the skin, i wait to see with a worked texture. :thumbsup:

Here my newest contribution

http://xs309.xs.to/xs309/06482/Fox_10.jpg

default-rol
11-28-2006, 10:07 AM
@ Danko >>> Nice 3D bust. Tell me, did you make a poly mesh in an external app, or was that from ZSpheres in ZBrush? Looks very cool anyway... :thumbsup:

@ Tonik >>> Looking forward to seeing your ideas develop. :)

@ pipocaz >>> Decent start, just remember that the character has an inside to his mouth and eye sockets. Your character has his mouth very open in the concept drawing, so there will be a bit of work to do on that focal area I think. Keep up the good work anyway.

@ DanielSLimon >>> He looks great and very much as I imagined from your concept art the other week!! Beautiful work and well presented. I wish mine was coming together like yours has. My only crit would be that you could render out a 3/4 view (as you have done,) then a profile and a back view. that way we (the viewer) can fully appreciate him in the round. Excellent work anyway. :applause:

Cheers all

MIKE

engelik
11-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Opps... My last post was made with the pipocaz login, :s we both use this computer, sorry...

Rebeccak > i would like to see the paintover, :)

Danko
11-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi again!

@Michael-olszak: Glad you like it! I'll probably go back to a lower res mesh and keep doing the whole body, then map it and pose it probably if I can get the time ;) I liked your concepts posted earlier on this thread, specially the one on the bottom left of the page! :thumbsup:

@Engelik: Thanks for the compliment! It was my first try with Mental and SSS. I followed some guides I found here at CGsociety. It's funny to work with!

@DanielSLimon: You're the man! :applause: hehehe I love it. Can't wait to see him in a menacing pose with plenty of ripped heads and skull at his feet!

@Mike: Glad you liked it! In fact, the first mesh was done in 3Ds Max and then sub-divided and sculpted in ZBrush. That just helps me to have an idea of the model head. Now I plan to do the whole body, unwrap and pose it... but let's see if i'll have the time!

For now, I just worked on the SSS render. I was too lazy to unwrap the mesh so basically tweak it in Photoshop to get some kind of head concept or character idea... :rolleyes: I'll do all the unwrapping and texturing stuff once I finish the whole model, I promise.

PS: Apologies for the huge images before, I didn't notice it in my PC until they were already posted. I'll replace them with a smaller version. Here I post the make up render!

http://xs309.xs.to/xs309/06482/Rude016_CG_sm.jpg

Rebeccak
11-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Blessing, I look forward to seeing more! I think the feet might be enlarged a bit as well as the legs lengthened. Looks like you have a good start!

anim_ziggy, looks pretty good so far, my suggestion would be to emphasize the nasal labial fold around the mouth.

DanielSLimon, wow, that turned out great! So much character to the little guy. :) I'd basically like to order a plush toy of the fella right now! Great work. :)

Danko, that looks awesome, glad you could participate! :thumbsup:

engelik, here is the paintover, which I hope helps: :) Have you ever worked with Silo or ZBrush? I think that those tools would allow you to get more organic models - but the main thing I would suggest is to start drawing. Drawing really teaches an artist to observe, and I think that this will fundamentally enhance what you want to do in 3D with polygons.

Apart from this Character Workshop, we also have a Sketchbook section (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200) here which I would encourage you to participate in by starting your own up. :) I would encourage anyone to do the same. We frequently run Workshops here on the forum for drawing / painting traditionally / digitally from reference or master works, which you can hear about by subscribing here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=379951). I also really recommend for anyone wanting to work on their figurative skills to check out these threads - similar Workshops in the series will also be upcoming:

Anatomy Lesson Series: Body Part 1 - The Head (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=375031)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=375031

Anatomy Lesson Series: Body Part 2 - The Torso (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=405198)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=405198

All are definitely welcome to participate in future Workshops to continue to hone their figurative skills. :)

http://anatomy.cgnetworks.com/CDP%20001/CDP_review.gif

The main thing I notice with the model is that the mouth lacks corners, and eyes eyelids. Also the root of the nose might extend further up between the eyes - this is where drawing practice really helps, as it teaches you to look hard for the topology of the face, which is really important. :) I've added planes to the nose - this gives it a more robust and dimensional feel. Take a look at noses and maybe sketch a few out to get a sense of their structure. One really great series of books is that of Burne Hogarth (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=br_ss_hs/102-8259949-5143308?platform=gurupa&url=index%3Dblended&keywords=Burne+Hogarth&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go), who really breaks down form in a structural way. I recommend doing copies from his books to really learn how to analyze form dimensionally.

I know this is a lot of info., but I hope it helps. I know that doing a paintover is a lot easier than modeling the face, however, this is the reason why drawing / painting helps so much to study form. :)

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

engelik
11-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Rebeccak > thanks a lot for the tips and links, i will try to improve the model, and my drawing to.. :)

Rebeccak
11-28-2006, 05:58 PM
engelik,

No problem! :)

KRIGBERT
11-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Slowly beginning on the painting. Here's what I have so far - flipped and with another background colour so as to better reveal errors. Have at it :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/KRIGBERT/kutteprogress.jpg

Painting with light from two directions is proving to be something I haven't done enough of, because this is shaping up to be a bit of a challenge. But am enjoying myself - I'll be listening to pretty and nice music while working, all the way until I reach the dead guy. Am really not happy with the expression on her face, but meh.

KRIGBERT
11-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Blessing: The image does look very flat - you might want to darken down the backround - unless you're planning to make it more interesting, or make the foreground in more vivid colours.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of expression you're going for - Cartoonish?(in which case, in what style?) Spray-can grafitti? Realism?

Rebeccak: I love the idea - very folk tale-/urban legend-ish :D Looking forward to the painting.

DanielSLimon: I can picture that little guy as animated - bouncing around, throwing grenades and stuff :D I can't imagine him talking, though. Tough silent type, I guess.

The skin I'm more undure of though; it looks very bleak and grim, and to me that doesn't fit the character very well. I'd also make the shoes brown leather, so they'll fit better in the colour sceme and WW2 feel of things.

Danko: Looks like an amazing piece of craftsmanship, I'll have to try this "Z-brush" program some time - I just hope I don't like it so much I'll buy it :p

The kind of character isn't entirely my cup of tea though, so I can't really say anything else.

Default-rol: Quit chatting and get your ass to work bringing us an update :p

Blessing
11-28-2006, 10:58 PM
@ Rebeccak: Thanks a lot for your suggestions! I will take them and fix mi piece as soon as I get a PC when I can work on the image. Once again, thanks a lot!

I love the concept of your work. Really original. I can't wait to see the final piece. :)

I saw the workshops you mentioned in the firsts days I joined here, and I'm in love with them. I guess I'll susbscribe soon. Awesome works on those threads!

@ KRIGBERT: Yes, the BG is really flat, I had no chance to work it further. Also, I'm a begginer, so this is the first time I try to paint a full body, a background, etc. Thanks a lot for your crit. I was going for realism, but maybe I'm not skilled enough for a work like this. I'll try to do my best.

@ all: Awesome stuff! Congrats!

Regards

Bless

KRIGBERT
11-28-2006, 11:08 PM
I'll give you the same advice I'll give to everyone who want to improve their drawing skills. Unfortunately, I don't know what it's called in English, but find yourself a way to regularly draw quick full figure scetches (just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about: I took a course that started the class with a bunch of 20-second scetches, then went to 2 minutes, then to 15) of people, preferably without clothes on - and with a nice big canvas to work on.

You could pick up "Drawing with the right side of your brain" by Betty Edwards as well. At least try to understand the point that you shouldn't draw "mouth", "eye", "nose" and so on - but look at the shapes you're drawing, and transfer them through your eyes to your hands without using the logical part of your brain.

The more you draw from real life (and just carefully observing), the better you'll get at drawing from your head :)

DigitalSol
11-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Hey Blessing I really like yours, the concept is going great, the only thing is that you maybe could give a little bit of deepness by doing a warm-cold contrast or maybe try to paint the figure in a blueish color and remove saturation while the objects are more far from the camera, I like it and thats the only crit so far, :D keep on the good job

Rebeccak
11-29-2006, 08:04 AM
KRIGBERT and Blessing, thank you! :)

EDIT: just a little update on the skull:

http://anatomy.cgnetworks.com/CGWorkshop_Monsters%20with%20Don%20Seegmiller/Week-1_Monster-Paint_01_08.jpg

Blessing
11-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Becca, I just can't keep this comment for myself: I loooooooooove how you sketch in grayscale!! :bowdown:

DigitalSol: Thanks a lot!! I'll be following your wonderful advices!! :D

Bless ;)

engelik
12-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Here is an update, i folowed some of the advices, i think is better now :)

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/2816/renderzm2.jpg

Rebeccak
12-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Pretty quiet in here. :)

Blessing, thanks a lot. :)

engelik, that looks better, keep tweaking. :)

Here is a minor update to my character, the hand bit:

http://anatomy.cgnetworks.com/CGWorkshop_Monsters%20with%20Don%20Seegmiller/Eye-Monster_Hand-01.jpg

EDIT: Update on the body, which I decided to repaint:

http://anatomy.cgnetworks.com/CGWorkshop_Monsters%20with%20Don%20Seegmiller/Eye-Monster_Full-01.jpg

AnimZiggy
12-02-2006, 11:44 AM
danko really nice, are you going to rig him though?
bec u doing your's in 3d? ;P
i m still working on mine...so i thought i d post the final-ish model soon.

killermachine
12-02-2006, 01:14 PM
i wont b able to work on my char anymore now as my exams have come up.but i'l finish this char l8r and definatly show it you people.i'l wait for the next workshop :(

PureGhostGR
12-02-2006, 06:22 PM
This is such an interesting workshop. I feel terrible for not being able to spot it before today. The deadline is only 5-6 days away and I would have loved to take part.

I have gone through the entire thread already and I have seen many interesting and inspired entries. Well done everyone! ;)

KRIGBERT
12-03-2006, 12:01 AM
An update. It's looking like it might end up a tad darker than I initially imagined.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/KRIGBERT/webutkast1.jpg

sturmkim
12-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Wrapping up this..... i'll trying finish up moonlight one... very(?) near future...no promise...
Front and side view
and
connecting hunted head to him

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/sturmkim/concept/headhunter02.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/sturmkim/concept/headhunter02_frontSide.jpg

* why he hunting?
A; because he was beheaded by hun invasion.(his father was cheiftan of small village and refuse surrender.) all his family beheaded and abandon.. he saw his parents and sisters beheaded. when he is beheaded, his body was ran away without head.

a witch,who lived in forest, put immotal bugs into his body. after that day, hun's army destoried his village to dust.

He's been wondering find his original head, (to eat something) first he start put animal's head, only last one or two day then it(animal's head is decoyed). human's head with his body around a month or half month...

He is still wondering in deep scandina forest, to find food and what has mouth to eat..

Blessing
12-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Hey all!
Well, I'm here to tell you I'm leaving the Workshop because of my several machine troubles. I'm a little bit sad, but I know we'll meet soon on another one.
Thanks a lot to Mike and Rebeccak for this great workshop and their wonderful words and advices.
Oh, and I'll be watching you! Can't wait to see the finished works!
Good luck to all!

Cheers!

Bless

Aries326
12-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi everyone.... Well Ive been busy workin on this when i can. Heres the model without some detail. Ive had some probs in zbrush im trying to work out. Also im tryin to texture it as best i can but dont really know if ill be able to finish in time but im gonna give it the old college try.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=105968&stc=1

default-rol
12-08-2006, 10:18 AM

END OF WORKSHOP!!

Hey Everyone,

Today marks the final day of the "Head hunter" workshop. Thank you very much to everyone who took part and made this workshop a very compelling experience for me. I hope everyone who did take part got something out of it, and I do know that some of you even got work that could go straight into a portfolio. Well done.

I am very sorry that I have not been as active on the workshop in the final weeks as I would have liked / was initially, but in my defense I will say that Don Seegmiller's "Creature painting" CGWorkshop is totally engrossing, and has taken me to distraction for large periods of time since it began.

You are welcome to keep working on your "Head hunter" projects to your heart's content, and if anyone does develop them further then please post either here or to your own sketchbook threads. I will be unlikely to post on this workshop after today though.

Thanks again everyone, it's been a pleasure - you should all give yourselves a pat on the back for the hard work you did!

Aries326
12-14-2006, 12:27 AM
Ummmm yeah.... well i didnt quite finish in time but the introduction of this thread has definately got me workin.... ive been getting into textures, bump/displacement maps and just trying to really push the character as much as possible. Still needs some work but i think its going in the right direction. Thanks for putting this thread togeather.... Any comments or crits appreciated(if anyone still looks at this)...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106295&stc=1

AnimZiggy
01-04-2007, 02:28 PM
i'm waaaaaaaay past the deadline as i'm in panick mode still jobhunting running out of money etc anyone is interested in the wip its over on my site: http://animziggy.net/
happy new year all

CGTalk Moderation
01-04-2007, 02:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.