PDA

View Full Version : Impressionism and the use of Photography

Rebeccak
11-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks to Jeremy Birn for this interesting link about the Impressionists' use of photographic reference for their paintings:

http://fogonazos.blogspot.com/2006/11/famous-painters-copied-photopraphs_06.html

Intervain
11-08-2006, 04:49 PM
this is awesome! nice to see their process ... I remember also liking the preraphaelite photos used to paint their masterpieces, can't remember where it was though... good reference is key heh?! Those guys knew it! I love the Degas photos as much as the painting itself, if not more [I'm not much of an impressionism fan ;)] Thanks for the link guys!

Rebeccak
11-10-2006, 07:34 PM
I've seen the Degas reference photo before, and I agree, I love the softened / impressionistic look of the photo nearly as much as the painting. :) One thing too is that the Impressionists were really inspired by the flat picture space of Japanese prints, which lends itself well to the use of photography as reference.

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2006, 07:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.