PDA

View Full Version : emit letters in a sequence to form words

olmos
11-08-2006, 02:10 PM
hi,

i'm doing an animation in which i need a particle emitter to emit solid polygonal letters to form words, let's say " H E L L O M A R Y J A N E ..." and those thousands of particles have to collide inside of a polygonal head model. I'm using the particle instancer cycle but this only make a cycle for all the particles at time, so i just have a lot of H H H Hs and then E E E Es flying arrownd..

Is there any way to tell the particle instancer cycle to emit secuencially one different instance per each new particle being created? Any suggestions? thanks

olmos

HappyCalaveras
11-09-2006, 02:01 AM
Is there any way to tell the particle instancer cycle to emit secuencially one different instance per each new particle being created? Any suggestions? thanks

Try creating a new per-particle attribute, say "wordIndex". Make a Creation expression to set wordIndex = particleId % <# of letters>; Then enable "Allow All Data Types" in Instancer options and set your ObjectIndex to be "wordIndex" and it should cycle through the word over and over for emitted particles. I just did a quick test and it looks alright...

NOTE: This assumes your letters are listed in the correct order in your Instancer list.

untelon
11-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Let me make sure I understand what you are after: You will have thousands of particles colliding inside a poly object. These particles will be instanced letters. the letters should form a phrase.

If that is the case, there are probably several approaches you could take. You could use a module operand to assign every 1, 9, 18, 27th particle to a location. In turn these particles would alse have instanced one of the specific letters, say "E".

I think that perhaps an easier approach would be to create 9 particle nodes. Each node would correspond to one of the letters. You would animated them as you wish, and then goal them to a transform location.

I hope these gives you some ideas.

unTelon

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2006, 02:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.