PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Potato Head WIP

dude5487
11-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi all,

I am currently working on a short animation for my animation class. It is featuring a representation of Mr. Potato Head, though it is not completely accurate.

For now I have some screen grabs of the model. All is currently low poly, un-smoothed.

I will have storyboards within the next two weeks. Followed by an animatic and then playblasts of the animation.

Let me know what you all think. I hope you all enjoy :).

Updates will continue.

dude5487
11-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Update for all of you.

Refined model, smoothed most of the mesh. Added some rigging to the eyes.

I have developed the rig but the binding and painting weights process has not started.

Let me know what you all think.

everlite
11-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Hi,

Looking good so far. A few thoughts ...

The arms seem a little on the long side and a tad thin, i'd be tempted to beef them up a little, in fact why not throw the rule book completely out of the window, give him big, beefy, hulk like arms with bulging muscles, Now that's a challenge :)

His nose and arms could be a little more shiny, more plastic looking.

Be good to finally see him animated or posed.

Keep it up - Dave.

dude5487
11-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the response.

You are right about the face pieces, I have not finalized the shading on everything. Though I will keep it in mind.

Personally, I feel the arms are at the right length. I had taken them a bit shorter about a week or so ago I think. I have used the rig on the arms and the IK and wrist constraint, I would not be able to take it any shorter at all. The reason is the arm has a lot of body to go around.

Given that this is for a class assignment I don't have time to go back and make the arms any different in terms of modeling. Maybe after this semester is over I will go back and add some muscle :)

Binding will take place this week. You will seem him in poses soon after.

Thanks!

manuel
11-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Well, since you asked for it, here are my comments.
-There is too much space between the eyes and the nose. Same for the dead space between the nose and the moustache. A moustache normally sit right against the nose. Again the same thing goes for the spacing between the mouth and the moustache. If you look at it, you'll notice the spacing between eyes, nose, moustache and mouth is always the same. It makes for a rather repetitive composition.
- The shape of the moustache is a bit undefined. Try and give it more character. Look at existing toys for reference.
- The feet feel like boxes. I'd expect them to be more rounded.
- Don't Mr Potato heads normally have bigger ears? Like with the moustache, they lack definition.
- With characters like this, it's quite acceptable to animate the length of the arms. That would allow you to keep the arms shorter most of the time and only lengthen them when needed.

everlite
11-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Good effort from someone just learning the basics, it can only get better from here on, just take what you've learnt from this project and apply that knowledge to the next one, we all start somewhere, and it has to be said my first efforts were no way near as good, but in time you learn and pick up new tricks and techniques.

- Dave

dude5487
11-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Manuel,

Thank you for your response. Its funny the majority of the pieces u point out are ones I have not worked on for over a month.

I agree about the spacing of the pieces below the eyes.

I also agree about the ears, way to small.

The feet I am honestly not so worried about at the moment. But I will keep that in mind.

I will update soon.

Thanks!

Everlite,

Thank you as well. I appreciate the words. I feel like things can always be refined, its the classic thing of deadlines lol.

dude5487
12-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi all.

I have recently completed my first character animation. I am very excited for it to be done and wanted to share with everyone! Let me know what you all think and enjoy...

http://www.josh-lynch.com/Potato_Head_Final_large.mov

http://www.josh-lynch.com/Potato_Head_Final_medium.mov (http://www.josh-lynch.com/Potato_Head_Final_large.mov)

everlite
12-17-2006, 11:40 AM
A few thoughts and observations to keep in mind for future projects...

The overall animation feels very symetrical and rigid, aim for a more fluid motion in future.

Study animation and motion in general, especially the pixar films, notice how they move. when i'm waiting for the train coming home from work i wait about 15 minutes before the train arrives, during this time while sitting in starbucks i watch people rushing back and forth, it's quite funny but interesting to watch how people move, some people run like chickens (literally) others wobble, some sway! It's good to get yourself into this kind of mindset, taking notice of such things.

Addressing the riggid motion of your animation, this is something that you need to focus on, timing and easing. At the moment you have, as we all do in the beginning :-) the 'robot effect' where one part moves after the other, not the case in reality. Do a short test, lift your hand up into the air and notice how everything moves, not just your hand, your arm moves, your head and even your whole body moves to compensate for the weight shift.

There's an old theory with animating characters, nothing is ever perfectly still, even when you think something is still, it isn't. Notice when a person is stood still they are never completely stood still, their arms move slightly, slight head movements,breathing, eyes blinking etc. This all ads to the realism factor, adding these slight movements and twitches.

Well hope that helps.

Keep it up, you'll be animating like a pro before ya know it :thumbsup:

- Dave.

manuel
01-02-2007, 09:51 PM
I agree with everlite. Well, almost. With stylised characters, you can afford perfectly still holds, as long as you know how to move in and out of them.

I'm just guessing, but have you been getting ahead of yourself with this animation? Have you ever done the basic exercises? Bouncing ball, undulation, anticipation, ease-in and out...? A basic lip sync exercise maybe? The basics may appear boring, but I'm still grateful I've done them back then.

dude5487
01-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Yeh I have done basic excersizes such as a walk cycle and the ball bounce animation. Actually right now over my break between semesters I am trying to do more basic animation and rigging set ups.

This was my first character animation ever so for me it shows now that the fact of me getting it done on time for my class that I did not take as much care on the animation. By the end of January there will be refinements though and of course will keep everyone posted :).

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2007, 10:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.