PDA

View Full Version : Mummy effect help, please!!!

darkdreams
11-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi to all, can someone give me a tip or a quick guide about how to make the sand wall with a large sand storm and the face of Imotep in it? You know, the one that is trying to attack the plane.

thnks! :scream:

Neejoh
11-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Well, you know effects like that are done in million dollar VFX companies, right? So I guess a quick guide will be a bit too much to ask for. Tips though, we can give you :)

I guess you'll have to use a lot (like: a LOT) of particles to simulate the sand effect.
As for the face in the storm effect, I wouldn't know a way without the lock & bond operator in the PFlow toolbox by Orbaz.

darkdreams
11-08-2006, 01:08 AM
mmm... well thnks for the reply, but at least someone know how can i make the wave with pflow?

jussing
11-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Check the 2-disc Mummy DVD, there's something (albeit not in-depth enough for CG geeks) about that effect.

I don't remember a lot about what they say, but two things I can tell you need:

A wall of dust particles
A 3D model of the face, doing whatever animation you want it to
The 3D face itself should be non-renderable, but should somehow affect the sand particles, either by colliding with the particles, or by being an emitter. Technically I guess the collision option is the most correct, but it is also very time-consuming to calculate many particle's colission with a poly object, so maybe the easy way it to have it be an emitter.

Cheers,
- Jonas

HannesJ
11-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Just a quick idea:
you could build an object that's animated to give it a nice wave motion and displace it with an animated z-depth sequence of a face and then in pflow fill the whole thing with particles.
I never tried that, but as far as I remember they did something with displacement and z-depth.

supremepizza
11-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Just a quick idea:
you could build an object that's animated to give it a nice wave motion and displace it with an animated z-depth sequence of a face and then in pflow fill the whole thing with particles.
I never tried that, but as far as I remember they did something with displacement and z-depth.

I'm with you there. Model your face thingy fairly high rez or max it out till your PC chokes since i'm not sure what kind of project (film/game) and put a black in the translucent channel of the mat add some noise (fractal probably) in a gradient (128 each channel) of the displacement mat channel. then fill with Pflow. (Could also use an animated AVI in a mesh displace in your stack but that's another render.) Keyframe your noise on the gradient noise and render for 4 days and it should look cool.

Then post it here when done. :)

darkdreams
11-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Thnks for the help, I will give it a try.

In the meanwhile, what about this scene for the animation?

darkdreams
11-08-2006, 11:35 PM
http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=189077&cdate=20061108&ctime=170854

jussing
11-09-2006, 07:24 AM
That looks great! Use that. :)

supremepizza
11-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Thnks for the help, I will give it a try.

In the meanwhile, what about this scene for the animation?

Might want to render it out without the background and apply the background in post. There's quite a bit of contrast, shadows and highlights, in the photo. You might want to research a sandstorm and go with something with less contrast. Like something like this...

http://barenada.com/show_image.shtml?gallery=3&entry=sandstorm

but something like this....

http://www.news2wkrn.com/weather/archives/2005/05/sandstorm_in_ir.html

would probably be closer to the effect you're looking for.

That was just a quick advanced image search I did using dogpile for sandstorms. If you add the background in post in something like Director (or flash) you can pan/zoom the background and better could get a vid clip and greenscreen with that better yet. Here's a quick tute for combustion. http://www.digitalproducer.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/03_11/discreet_keyer.htm
If you decide to go that route.

darkdreams
11-09-2006, 11:21 PM
wow!!! the pics are great thnks!!!
Maybe I'll try that route

BrandonD
11-12-2006, 08:23 PM
The Displace Space Warp works with particles. Use it to additively push and pull the particle volume.

darkdreams
11-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Wow, Mr. BrandonD, thnks!!

I wonder if that can b made it in afterburn?

BrandonD
11-13-2006, 10:25 PM
The shape of a head in ABurn? I don't that would be wise because it's just placing volume primitives at particle transforms. You'd need a large quantity of small spherical volumes and it wouldn't look all that good. Then again, shading a huge amount of particles with the 2.5D Octane shader would be faster than rendering the same quantity of small facing geometry.

darkdreams
11-13-2006, 10:56 PM
mmm... I c, bad idea :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2006, 10:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.