PDA

View Full Version : Stray Hairs

daytona
11-07-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble with a model I'm working on at the mo'. The character has long hair that flops down from the top of its head. I've set a collider tag to the model and relaxed the hair. It kind of works and most hairs flow around the top of the head, but then swing through the nose below.( I have 35 segments set along the hair length) I then set hair as dynamics, and brushed the hair away from the face (collisions checked). What I now have are a few stray hairs that show up in the render that run through the middle of the face and out from underneath the chin. There are no guides any where near these stray hairs making them very difficult to edit. I have fill hairs to zero btw, Any suggestions??

jsls
11-07-2006, 03:03 PM
You should try and use a low poly proxy, or some spheres as colliders....otherwise the hair dosent know where to stop.

daytona
11-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks for that. But what about the stray hairs that don't seem to be related to any guides?
My model is about 4000 polys in a hypernurbs ( too high? ) I have lots of ram.

LucentDreams
11-07-2006, 07:36 PM
hair interpolates between guides so in simulation, too few guides iwll often great problems like this. Some things you can do to get around this are:

1)use more guides for more accurate simluation
2)use hair Parts, hair will not interpolate between the separate parts
3)Set dynamics to the actual hairs (this can seriously kill performance though.)

daytona
11-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks Kai. Useful tips.

EPICI
11-08-2006, 02:46 PM
hair interpolates between guides so in simulation, too few guides iwll often great problems like this. True!

In some critical situation, I use the same number for guides and hairs.

EPICI

MJV
11-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Like Kai said the main gotcha here is the fact that hair interpolates between guides unless you have set up a part. People instinctively think that where there are no guides there will also be no hair but this is not true unless parts have been set.

LucentDreams
11-08-2006, 09:57 PM
True!

In some critical situation, I use the same number for guides and hairs.
EPICI

In many cases that will complicate your editor scene too much, or not give enough hair in your final result, so setting the hair to a different amount, and then using dynamics on the hairs instead of the guides will be a better workflow

EPICI
11-08-2006, 11:35 PM
In many cases that will complicate your editor scene too much, or not give enough hair in your final result, so setting the hair to a different amount, and then using dynamics on the hairs instead of the guides will be a better workflow

Interesting.. I will try. :thumbsup:

I use same number, but I use guides for simulation,
and activate the visualization of HAIRs only for rendering.

EPICI

Star-Scream
11-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Do you know some Hair tutorials? Because i am new to this and don't know how to handle this?

Thanks

EPICI
11-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Do you know some Hair tutorials? Because i am new to this and don't know how to handle this?

Thanks

I did not find, I used the manual and many tests.

As soon as I reborm the pc I use for videotutorials, I will release a big videotutorial also on HAIR module use.

You will find it here, but you need to register (it is FREE).

http://www.epiciworld.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

EPICI

Jorge Arango
11-10-2006, 10:17 PM

Thanks

http://forum.3dfluff.com/showthread.php?t=109

Jorge Arango

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2006, 10:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.