PDA

View Full Version : Fairy And Monster, Stahlberg (2D), (2D)

Stahlberg
02-08-2003, 09:59 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/566/fairy_snake_2d_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/566/fairy_snake_2d.jpg)

Title: Fairy And Monster, Stahlberg (2D)
Name:
Software: Photoshop

The 2d version (which came first) of this image, illustrating a story I wrote. It took about a week. The 3d version can be seen below

Culann
02-08-2003, 10:14 AM
That looks absolutely stunning. I like the ethereal light, as well as both of the characters. (although I have to admit, at first the monster reminded me a bit of the white dragon from 'Neverending Story') The only thing I'm not too sure about is the light obstruction created by the butterfly. That might be a little too strong a effect, because butterflies generally are more semi-transparent when shone upon with light. If that makes any sense ;)
Great work. :thumbsup:

Kirt
02-08-2003, 10:19 AM
:eek: Even if the lighting is incorrect, that's a beautiful piece! I absolutely love the face of your fairy. The beast is a cutie too, but reminds me of Dr. Suess' illustrations for some reason (Grinch?). :shrug:

I don't know of any references off hand that you could use. But you might want to check out a few frames of movies with UFOs in them. They tend to do the intense overhead lighting in just about every one of them. Close Encounters of the Third Kind is a good one ... at least you won't have to sit through a bad B-grade sci-fi looking for the right reference image. :D

Mihasus
02-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Your work is awesome!! I like it toooo much!!! :love: :love: :love: :thumbsup: :wip:
The fairy looks like a real fairy :D

chrisdejoya
02-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Beautiful piece! Even if it wasn't referenced, the lighting is believable.. do not mess with it, it's stunning! also love the soupy atmosphere.

The lady is gorgeous, nevermind that her face is underaged compared to the rest of her body (which is totally kickin).

CGmonkey
02-08-2003, 12:38 PM
Stahlberg - You are now my idol! :) That's aboslutly amazing! All your work rock! :)

Chewey
02-08-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Stahlberg
First posted on Lumental and X4artists. It's not for any specific project, just another idea that popped up and got jotted down, then scanned and painted over in Photoshop... It's taken a while though, I don't have any reference and I got "tweaker-fever" with this one... Anybody have reference for lighting like this? C&c welcome.

http://www.androidblues.com/onelasttime.jpg

Hey! this guy is goooood! :surprised

Beautiful and inspirational work as always.:cool:

Stephen Vyas
02-08-2003, 12:46 PM
It's quite the vision.. Only thing that caught my eye was what seems to be drool coming from the monster's mouth and sticking to her knee? I'm not sure how you'd fix it, maybe adjusting the width of it to show a breaking point, or threshold...

jeroentje
02-08-2003, 12:47 PM
I wanted to contact an admin to put this on the frontpage when I saw it was allready there ;)

Absolutely breathtaking. I agree with Kirt, the lighting is a little incorrect but who gives a damn? I don't. Straight into my folder "awsome" on my HD.

visionmaster
02-08-2003, 12:48 PM
i prefer your 2d artwork than your 3d ( your 3d work is incredible too, but to clean ) there is so much poesie and real imperfection in it.
do you have a book your we could buy ?
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Phrank
02-08-2003, 12:51 PM
gawd thats great!
keep the lighting, it may not be physically correct, but it is ultra-atmospheric! :buttrock:

goodlag
02-08-2003, 12:51 PM
sExcellent !!

great color.. light ..shadow..

ceql
02-08-2003, 12:53 PM
Wow! beautiful.
I can't stop looking at it ;)

Flaviosen
02-08-2003, 12:59 PM
now that is one awsome painting.....i would really like that one on my wall.....u have mad skillz stahlberg :buttrock:

henrik
02-08-2003, 01:07 PM
Hi Steven, very nice work.

Love the girls look, very pretty. Not sure I understand what's going on beneath her, .. her foot...also her nose looks a little red.. but that's minor.

This is such a strong piece illustration wise, having the contrast set so low doesn't make it justice. I think increasing the contrast a bit would increase the impact.

I did a quick change of the background, as well as removing the butterfly. Hope you don't mind, and I'm not saying this is better, simply another view. As you stated yourself, it's got tweak fever. ;)

Very good, keep drawing.

http://henrik.cgcommunity.com/temp/onelasttime_.jpg

Gotham
02-08-2003, 01:10 PM
I don't know what I like more... Your 2D art or 3D art....

And this pick? Phi.... I don't died.... But it was close....

Frinsklen
02-08-2003, 01:13 PM
It's always great to see some of your artwork.
I love the mood you've achieved on this one.

Can you tell us a bit more about how you did this one? Very roughly, just some lines if you have the time. Thanks.

:thumbsup:

XerC
02-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Perfect, Steven!
Apart from the butterfly there is nothing to add. Eventhough this looks like a thrilling scene (at lest for the girl ;)) you perfectly managed to make it look solemn and quiet.

Wonderful piece. I think my favourite one of your works...

@hendrik: nice city, but it somehow destroys the atmosphere I mentioned above. It distracts the viewer's eye and decreases the solemnity, IMO... :shrug:

Greetings,
XerC

stephen2002
02-08-2003, 01:29 PM
amazing work, it speaks for itself.

She looks so lost and alone in a strange land. The wings on the girl are perfect. I agree that the shadow from the butterfly could be toned down...otherwise all of the lighting is perfect.

PotatoHead
02-08-2003, 01:41 PM
excellent, breathtaking, although the lighting's wrong:D. not that i could do any better, mind you!;) all in all, very good!:beer:

elfufu
02-08-2003, 01:43 PM
one of the nicest things i see on CG talk in a loooooooooooooooong time. very frazetta 5 stars

wildsheepchase
02-08-2003, 01:50 PM
:eek: Beautiful work!:love:

Spirit2029
02-08-2003, 02:05 PM
very nice work steven, I only have one gripe. The monster, well it kinda looks like a...well penis. The way its hanging off the wall and blends into it, its kinda creepy. I dont know if you were going for something like that or not, but I would suggest changing the color of the wall to break that, or seperate the two more....just a sugestion. Other then that its an amazing piece, really like the ligting on the girl, nice glow...

Spirit2029

Lunatique
02-08-2003, 02:11 PM
Holy CRAP Steven. Here I was, spending the whole day to update my CG Challenge entry painting, then I come here and see you ROCK MY WORLD.

That's it. I'm quitting.

Her right arm could use a bit of angle tweak, since not seeing the forearm and hand tends to give off the "something is not right" feeling. These things are always fine in photographs, but for some reason they are amplified in paintings.

Henrik-- nice overpaint! I like the city and the strong contrast.

sad
02-08-2003, 02:22 PM
at the first glance one could haves seen it is a stahlberg masterpiece.
great!

malc0lm
02-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Sweet mother of holy crap...
I don't normally dig 2D art (exept 'vector' gfx) but this really blew me away!

keep up the EXTREMLY good wrk

levin
02-08-2003, 03:02 PM
amazing.

i like this the most out of all the recent stuff you have shown...

Adam
02-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Amazing job! I have to agree about the butterflie statement but that is a very minor adjustment. I perfer it without the paint over. It has more alone feeling.

Great work

KOBALT_KORE
02-08-2003, 03:21 PM
My jaw just broke when it hit the floor. ;)

Incredible work - incredible atmosphere and concept :surprised :thumbsup:

ed209
02-08-2003, 03:50 PM
Very nice. Only thing that bugs me are the eye's on the creature. Personally I would have them set back further on the head closer to the mouth. Seem's too human the way you have it now, but you're probably going for that since you also gave it a nose. Awsome work yet again.

webfox
02-08-2003, 03:50 PM
very frazetta 5 stars

5 stars, definitely, but it reminds me more ofMichael Whelan's (http://www.michaelwhelan.com/index.asp?vsPage=gallerycollection) work.

... and that's not to say that Mr. Stahlberg's work is derivative, because it's not. He's doing what all inspired artists do - fixing an elusive moment in his imagination and sharing it with us which is extremely difficult - as proven by the tweak-bug he's got. :)

You get the image in your head of what you want, but it's moving... and not quite in focus... and you want to express it because it fills you with wonder and a specific emotional state... and then when you try to make it real on paper or screen, it's not quite what you thought it was anymore.

And you have that nagging feeling that it will never be quite what you wanted to share, no matter how good it is.

cdinic
02-08-2003, 03:57 PM
although Michael's work is often more detailed, I like this much more... none of Michaels work has this type of atmosphear.. I'm amazed.. excellent stuff

-Chris

Sausage
02-08-2003, 04:03 PM
This is a refreshing post, Steven. The lighting works well. I think I prefer your 2d work to your 3d work, although technically, your 3d work is superior.

This image does kind of remind me of some of Boris Vallejo's stuff, but not as "cheesy".

A cool image.

Cogliostros
02-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Really Beautiful... the best part? is that cute pink button nose catching some light... great work. How did you achieve SSS in photoshop? LOL :D

P.S. In a future life please bless me with the sickening talent of 'bad ass motherf*@(er' illustration skills!

P.S.S. At least in this life now, I am a fan with great admiration of the work of these sick-sick, sick! people.

:beer:

third eye
02-08-2003, 04:45 PM
...."tweaker fever" ...well you should have....
don't you dare touch this painting man!!!!!

it's wonderfull!!!

(no don't tell me you did this in photoshop 7,
cause that airbrush tool su...ehrr well is not very
good.....which would make me even more awestruck!)

;)

Magius
02-08-2003, 04:53 PM
i wanna cry!!! can i cry ? aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Labuzz
02-08-2003, 04:56 PM
Beautiful, I love it!:)

SheepFactory
02-08-2003, 05:22 PM
:cry:

This is so beautiful and inspiring. I love how her nose has SSS.

PhilOsirus
02-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Could you post the sketch?

draconix
02-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Very nice!

I love the wing, love the fairy's figure, like the creature.

Even though the city bg does not fit, the enhanced lightening helped a bit. Just my thing.

Also, the face is a bit... young.

Very nice pic though. It captures the fantasy, ethereal quality perfectly.

uday
02-08-2003, 05:50 PM
good job...dude..
except..ahem...( do i see heat coming from the other guys here?)

if you could have a warm feeling over the angel and more colder towards the monster.more Indigo instead of seinna ...and a bit darker on that monster side(just to kick the brights up a bit).although the wash looks does look good a bit of indigo or prussian mixed in would be awesome for my taste.:)

(like i am paying you for this)hehehe...

keep on painting!!!!!!

The FreakyOne
02-08-2003, 06:02 PM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: AMAZEING!!!! the only thing i can see wrong is teh girls head and her body are of two different age groups her face looks alot youngre then teh body other then that :drool: :drool: :drool:

tvtuna
02-08-2003, 06:32 PM
The face, as been mentioned, really doesn't fit the body well though, you get mixed feelings one of an early 20yr old female, and another of a teenager. I imagine due to the button nose and the overly petite mouth.

The drool from the creature looks like a perfect unbroken vertical line. Maybe best to have it complete before it gets as far as her leg?

The jaw on the creature seems to go really too far back, obviously theres nothing on the planet to compare it to, apart from perhaps a snake. Normally creatures have teeth behind skin towards the edges of the mouth whereas this creature already has all of his on show with barely a grin. What's the black splodge in the mouth, or is it my LCD monitor messing up the brightness.

Her hair looks overly lacquered, so if she moved her right arm its almost as if the hair would just fall heavily back against her body, could be what you set out to achieve though.

Her right forearm could, perhaps, be more in show.

The butterfly should be more transparent

I like the lighting. Could perhaps including a few very faint trees in the background to break up the light more.

Love it, very beautiful picture.

Gkaine
02-08-2003, 06:38 PM
i wish you were giving classes so i could come to them:D

tvtuna
02-08-2003, 06:39 PM
forgot, what is that behind her. Looks like a tyre?

Ed Lee
02-08-2003, 06:50 PM
Now you're talking holmes...nice lighting as well.

Ed--

Boone
02-08-2003, 06:58 PM
What?! You want C&C on a masterpiece like this? Get outta ere!
I'mean, c'mon! You must be a novel cover-artist for Anne McAffry books or something!

:thumbsup:

Vovik3D
02-08-2003, 07:08 PM
Cool Lighting! Don,t stop at this work! :applause: :applause:

Matt
02-08-2003, 07:08 PM
Tight.

lildragon
02-08-2003, 07:14 PM
You know the saying "Beauty and the Beast"? nuff said, sign, sealed and delivered bud.

Henrik did make a valid point about the contrast and both his revision and your masterpiece are solid.

Dig her wings and the highlight on her nose, extremely adorable face and slender body makes this a piece that will hang forever in the cgtalk hall of fame.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Keep knocking us out man.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_feb03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the .psd file

salud

lildragon
02-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Just to good man, I had to plug it on http://www.3dfestival.com

Saying you have talent is an understatement, there must be another name for what you do :)

Well done man, well done

salud

erik123
02-08-2003, 07:29 PM
Very cool style. You are awesome! :bounce: :bowdown:

I'm very intrigued by the process of making this kind of image. What is Lumental and X4artists?

Dominique
02-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Almost gave a one cause of the changed BG,
but the original is lovely,

Boone
02-08-2003, 07:44 PM
I think I can speak for the artist concerned. It wasn't any software that made this masterpiece look awesome, it was just skill.

"Well, the planes got him."
"Oh no...It was beauty killed the Beast.":cool:

ASCIISkull
02-08-2003, 07:48 PM
That picture is gorgeous... If i saw it on a bookshelf, I'd definately pick it up... I'd probably wait till it came out softcover because I'm cheap, but I'd cerainly get it...

I really like the face... the sidhe should look youthful, being all immortal and everything...

Just curious- is the dark area a shadow, a block of dark, translucent material, or something else? It's very enigmatic, and quite visually interesting.

And I like the shadow of the butterfly... it's solidity enhances the ethereality of the girl's wings.

The Magic Pen
02-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Unbelievable work ...I like Henrik version but man that is a solid picture...wow...you are to good my friend .. :bowdown:

Blahtastic
02-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Very beautiful, but there are some weird things going on where the leg meets with the body. The black splotchy shadow doesn't really mesh with the blurrier style of the body or the sharper leg, it isn't very convincing. Furthermore, the lower right end of the shadow doesn't conform to the body, it ends too early and in an odd round shape, resulting in some of her skin can be seen where you'd think it would be shadowed. Why are the styles of the torso and the leg so different? The hair also has some strangeness. It looks straight and ordered when it's on her head, but once it reaches her shoulders it becomes very wavy and disorganized. Still, it's a gorgeous painting.

ToddD
02-08-2003, 08:52 PM
Simply beautiful!!! Hendric's background change detracted from the piece IMO, stick with what you have!:beer:

coCoKNIght
02-08-2003, 09:05 PM
As always excellent piece of artwork Steven!
WOW... and very inspiring... well done! :thumbsup:

PS. There seems to be a new movie on your hp but I'm unable to download it...

Akuma
02-08-2003, 09:20 PM
this picture will be what i use to judge other peoples work against, this is... the most beautiful thing i have ever seen... lighting... composure...concept... this is like an optical symphony.

conjaman
02-08-2003, 09:40 PM
very nice work...
:applause: :applause: :applause:

www.ronincircle.com

ilasolomon
02-08-2003, 10:19 PM
every artwork you post here belows up the site! :) 5 star indeed. I can't see any problem with the lighting. & I can say I like your 2Ds more than 3Ds! :) ;) :beer:
Ila

rickycox
02-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Beautiful work. I just wonder where your coming from? There's obviously a strong element of sexual fantasy in you work which seems very obsessive. I think it's fair to say that it looks like a giant penis and a little girl. Is that intentional? Something your aware of?

HieSpike
02-08-2003, 10:27 PM
Not bad at all...
But not a masterpiece yet.

The girls face and body look realy nice, but what is that dark crease in her mid section? It's too harsh of a break.
I like the colors and mood.
I don't like the monster at all...sorry, but it has no appeal!
The mouth looks wierd and overall it doesn't seem thought out.
The ground is also a little messy just like the back of her hair.
Also, the tire makes no sense in this picture...it draws to much attention for no reason.
I really like the light on top of her head...you don't see that often.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Kane

ASCIISkull
02-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Hiespike- I think that 'tire' is the end of the monster's tail coiling from the ground...

Anim8rJB
02-08-2003, 10:36 PM
Man, every time I come here I am absolutely floored by some new piece of artwork posted on these boards. I sound like such a loser for saying that all the time, but it's true. The amount of talent here is absolutely awe-inspiring.

Oh, and this piece is fantastic. I like the butterfly version, but I agree that it does need some depth in the background. Maybe not a city, but just something the push the background out a little further.

J

Primus
02-08-2003, 11:36 PM
Beautiful work, and nice compo :applause:

HieSpike
02-09-2003, 01:01 AM
I realy doubt that ASCIIskull....

ambient-whisper
02-09-2003, 01:03 AM
overall great picture. love the look of the girl.
the background does miss something as henrik pointed out but i think his render does add a certain level of distraction.

also im not a fan of the dragon/wyrms/worms..( whatever it is :) ) overall design. i think its the weakest part of the picture. you got skulls on his side of the picture..but he doesnt really look all to menacing/evil..etc.. more like a little child worm.

great pic regardless.

Dan Wade
02-09-2003, 01:27 AM
Yes.....indeedy....this rocks!

Menge
02-09-2003, 02:13 AM
:surprised :eek: :totallyspeechless: :eek: :surprised

smallone3d
02-09-2003, 03:08 AM
This is very nice.

As mentioned before by others, the drool looks a little out of place or just little more work.

:applause:

Blackarts
02-09-2003, 03:43 AM
I'm late to the party, but that is one killer painting. Everyone's praise pretty much sums it up.

=)

-D

Stahlberg
02-09-2003, 03:59 AM
Many thanks everyone! It seems you like this one better than the last one I posted, "The Price of Magic", so maybe I should choose this one instead of that to do a 3d version of?

Kirt - good idea for reference!

Visionmaster, no book, sorry. Love your Frankenstein!!

Henrik - I agree, more contrast. Wonderful skyline you did, so simple yet so spot on...

lildragon, thanks!

Blahtastic and HieSpike - yes I'm not too happy about the hair, and I'll take another look at the hip area.

riki and Spirit2029 - a big penis? You're right, didn't see that, guess I was focusing on her.
About it being sexual - of course. She's naked, young and well-built, and striking a winsome pose. What's wrong with that?

Phil Osirus - here's the sketch:
http://www.androidblues.com/onelasttimesketch.jpg
Frinsklen and Eric123 - ok, how. I drew this in a moment of forced inactivity, when I was waiting for something away from my computer. (I hate that :) )
I had an idea, asked for pen and paper, all they had was a ballpoint. (I have a bad memory so I have to get stuff on paper immediately or loose it.)
I scanned it into Photoshop 5, and as you see I moved the monster's head with cut&paste. Then I made a new layer, and started blocking in the 3 main colors, the bluish light, the orange translucency and bounce-light, and the brown shadows. Using mainly the sharp edged brushes at first. Pretty soon you couldn't see the sketch layer anymore, so I flattened the image. And I just kept refining it, using finer brushes and more smear and blur.

What several people commented on:
The butterfly shadow - agree, will fix.
The drool - will fix.
The background - it's supposed to be a deep hole in the ground, like a vertical cave or something, which isn't clear now... guess I need some rock texture back there...
The monster - I'll try to think some more about it.
The tire - yes it was a tire, sorry ASCIISkull - but you had a good idea, I should make it the tail.
Her face too young - this one surprised me. I was going for an Anime style feeling, and fairies are usually looking quite young right?

edit: Lumental and x4artists are other forums

Michael Chen
02-09-2003, 04:13 AM
Definitely A+ work :thumbsup:

rickycox
02-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Hi Steven thanks for the reply. After I made that comment, it got me thinking. I've heard about this theory that an artists spends his whole life drawing the same image. I think this theory even crosses over to areas like film, painting etc.

Okay so if I take my original comment about the "giant penis and the girl" and apply this theory to some of your other images in a Freudian kind of way, you see the girl with the giant (penis) cigar in her mouth, the giant (penis) flamethrower. The girl riding the giant (penis) motorbike. etc etc

Man there is definately something in this theory. :-)

So I guess when someone said that they didn't like the monster or think that it didn't have a very good personality, maybe they feel a bit intimidated :-) LOL

oh well keep it up man :thumbsup:

HieSpike
02-09-2003, 04:26 AM
and then he said...."keep it up"

hahahahahahahahah

yellowworm
02-09-2003, 06:18 AM
this is amazing man.
such skill.

lmc
02-09-2003, 06:36 AM
Wonderful....haha, really good artwork....Yup, when u open class?! infrom me ok?! haha, well done:applause: :beer:

JohnD
02-09-2003, 07:25 AM
Man this is awesome. I would be honored to have this framed and hanging in my studio. Breathtaking.

thx1138
02-09-2003, 08:06 AM
Respect man !! This is by far some of the best stuff I've seen. I really like the atmophere. The fragile girl on the floor, and the seemingly scary monster towering over her.

Guess I've got something new to hang on my wall, or for my Windows background ;)

grtz

danbran
02-09-2003, 08:09 AM
very awesome work...reminds me of boris villejo (sp?)....maybe you can check some of his work out for lighting references.

db

asela
02-09-2003, 08:14 AM
it is my new wall paper
she is so prety i could cry

asela

Frank Dodd
02-09-2003, 08:28 AM
I'll be amazed if anyone gets to read this :)

An absolutely outstanding piece of work don't touch a thing, it looks beautiful and any flaws it has work for it not against.

This is a truly professional piece of artwork that not only depicts a scene or renders a portrait but instead it both leads and inspires the imagination of the viewer to tell a whole story!

Bravo :bounce:

PsychedelicMind
02-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Beautiful work man! Especially when it's straight from your imagination! :D The faery is soooo cute! Love the way you depicted her :) The contrast between her and the dragon/ monster is cool :D

Great great job!

danne82
02-09-2003, 09:52 AM
underbart som vanligt :) du har väl inte glömt bort grafisktforum?? ;) Fortsätt så du är en av mina favorit artister :love: och en dag ska jag knäcka dig det är mitt mål :eek: skojja bara det kommer jag aldrig men halvvägs kanske :)

Kulu_Kulu
02-09-2003, 10:47 AM
it's so sweet :bounce:

:drool:

kulu

Ryder
02-09-2003, 12:08 PM
Sweeet... i like the lightning! good work!

jadedchron
02-09-2003, 02:36 PM
that fairy is hot :eek:

wesware
02-09-2003, 05:07 PM
good golly that's nice

Skyraider3D
02-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Very very impressive work, Steven. Lighting is great.

Riki, loved your comments! LOL!!! Interesting theory too with a lot of truth I think :)
Did you know by the way you and Steven were born on the same day?! Coincidence? Who knows you were born in the same hospital even!! :cool:

Corn Dog
02-09-2003, 05:26 PM
Looks nice...
but personally the 3 year olds head on a 18 year old body is a little.... disturbing.

coCoKNIght
02-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Corn Dog
Looks nice...
but personally the 3 year olds head on a 18 year old body is a little.... disturbing.

...it's a fairy...

Boone
02-09-2003, 05:40 PM
I think the Fairy is just right...

king of tartine
02-09-2003, 05:47 PM
good artwork...;)

santiago
02-09-2003, 05:48 PM
EXCELLENT

Nightwing
02-09-2003, 05:49 PM
ah that's just breathtaking....

Steven I'm gonna add my voice to those raving about your 2D work....the 3D renders you've posted in the past year or so have blown me away, but nothing prepared me for this and the previous 2D piece you posted. I could comment in detail but I'd just reiterate a lot of the praise you've received in this thread already :D The fairy is gorgeous.

Oh, and please reinterpret this one in 3D instead of the "price of magic" piece :)

jizzypop
02-09-2003, 05:57 PM
*right click - save as*

ironbearxl
02-09-2003, 06:11 PM
STAHLBERG!!!!
This has got to stop already!!!!
Take a break! Go on an extended vacation!
Donate your harddrive to a worthy cause!

j/k great lighting and i love the soft colors:drool:
good job, AGAIN:applause:

no9
02-09-2003, 07:39 PM
I tended to lurk rather than post at this particular forum but your piece brought it upon me to reply. This piece touched me with the thought and skilfulness within it. I haven’t read every reply in this thread but this piece sends out a message, a moral to me. The angel/girl calms down the monster from attacking her from a simple arm movement are a moral that the smallest of creatures can prevent things happening. The girl’s face with the body is what makes the girl so magical, abnormal and different.

Well, done.

cdinic
02-09-2003, 09:22 PM
*right click - save as*
-jizzypop

my sentiments exactly!!!

:buttrock:

-Chris

jeroentje
02-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Hm... almost 13000 views within a day :surprised
Must be a record here in 2D art.

RockinAkin
02-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Simply Amazing!

Keep it up,
-DivideByZero-

daevid
02-09-2003, 11:14 PM
I like this picture a lot more than your 3d-work. I guess they're just a bit too perfect for my taste...

I really like the overall mood and style in this picture. The butterfly is a nice touch but I agree on critics of the monster design. Personally I think that the upper part of the monsters face looks too human and couldn't resist tweaking with it in photoshop. I also added a volumetric shadow from her left hand. Very crude tweaking but I hope you don't mind me toying around with it...

- David

tyboogie
02-10-2003, 02:14 AM
FANTASTIC!!!! great atmosphere and original looking creature--this is most definitely telling a story! YAY!!--ty

Stahlberg
02-10-2003, 02:15 AM
Thank you everyone, I'm totally overwhelmed I've never had such positive feedback before in my life... (snif) :):bounce: :beer:

I've just uploaded the edited version - over-written the original as usual, see the first page of this thread - where I tried to implement most of the comments I got, except I haven't found a good rock texture reference for the background yet, I may leave that for the 3d version...
Forgot to thank Lunatique for his point about things overlapping that works better in photos, but less well in paintings, in this case the arms - I tried to adjust that a bit...
Special thanks to Daevid for his paintover, it finally made me see what everyone was talking about regarding the faintly ridiculous look of my first monster design... :)

BiTMAP
02-10-2003, 03:10 AM
you want something that will blow away potential customers? I say, Model that scene you got RIGHT there, make it have that look, then go find a group looking for the whole small thing stopping a huge beast... and if not, Make a nice little short movie...

hanzo
02-10-2003, 04:41 AM
Stahlberg, I've always loved your work... But that was the 3d stuff
this is truely exceptional :surprised i'm so inspired write now, this shall fuel me till next week... :beer:

THANKS!

Cogliostros
02-10-2003, 04:59 AM
Luckily I saved the first version so I was able to compare the 2... again amazing work, more detail and the monster is leaner and meaner....

but... It looks like you left the girl's eye line looking into the older monsters eyes, so now she isn't making eye contact like before, she's looking above it now... :hmm:

:thumbsup: though, that is an amazing piece! I love it!!!

Lifthz
02-10-2003, 05:11 AM
This is simply sweet and expresses a very interesting mood.:applause:

Jeffo
02-10-2003, 05:15 AM
very very nice work! this is my favorite piece by you yet! :) both your 2d and 3d are extremely breathtaking! this beast kinda reminds me of falcor (i think thats his name) from neverending story. The giant flying dog, haha just my opinion :P

but awesome stuff!! :drool:

Fathom
02-10-2003, 07:17 AM
Everybody seems to have a different take on so many aspects of this painting - lighting, butterfly, nose, drool, atmosphere etc.
Take a step back and listen to what this picture tells you. I can't get over how evocative this piece is. Is she in trouble? She seems to have fallen into this beasts trap but she seems about to extend a hand in friendship. She seems so naive.
And what are his (its?) intentions? Is he going to eat her? or is she to be his prize?
An incredible piece. This picture truly tells, or rather, begins to tell a story.

erikals
02-10-2003, 08:24 AM
Sorry, to say this, but I don't like the monster's head-shape on "monster-post" number three (on the first page). Like the two first ones better, but then again, those two are awesome...

(Edit:
looking at it again, I agree that the fairy might look a bit young, in the face that is..).

You're definetly one of the best artists in this forum.
Great work.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Erik

xyth
02-10-2003, 09:05 AM
Hiya,

Beautiful work! I like both character, but I feel that the butterfly is a bit out of the mood.
However, would it be a dead idea to put it between the two main character? Like they are looking it.

(Maybe onto the nose of the beast? :) )

-xyth

Klaymen
02-10-2003, 01:44 PM
WEiiii this shit is goood man i like it a lot... Truly Wonderful i am stunned!

cermit
02-10-2003, 02:19 PM
fantastic pic

Volker
02-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Looking great! But two things bug me...

1) The abdomen doesn't have any form, it's just a smooth curve.
2) The reflect light on her elbow seems very intense. Maybe tone it down a little?

Looking forward to seeing more 2d work!

~Zach

AC_Shrike
02-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Excellent iteration, Hen, but I have to admit that I prefer Stahlberg's original concept. Great work, Mr. S, and quite little in the way of lighting errors. Looks to me as though you've nailed it. A very emotional piece and, as usual, executed with grace.:buttrock:

no9
02-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Fathom
Everybody seems to have a different take on so many aspects of this painting - lighting, butterfly, nose, drool, atmosphere etc.
Take a step back and listen to what this picture tells you. I can't get over how evocative this piece is. Is she in trouble? She seems to have fallen into this beasts trap but she seems about to extend a hand in friendship. She seems so naive.
And what are his (its?) intentions? Is he going to eat her? or is she to be his prize?
An incredible piece. This picture truly tells, or rather, begins to tell a story.

my thoughts exactly.

draconix
02-10-2003, 08:43 PM
It's looking good. Can't wait for the story behind it. Also looking forward to seeing it modeled and animated.

cattiwompus
02-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Wow, this is simply stunning. While I was reading through the comments, some members don't realize that it's a fairy, and not a human, so she'll have the younger face. I like the nose a lot. I didn't get to see the original, before you changed it. If you don't mind could you repost it so that we can compare. It's too bad that we can't give 6 stars.:applause:

polymath
02-11-2003, 02:13 AM
excellent piece :thumbsup:

most of the things I was going to crit have been said, but after staring at it for a while, the fairy's elbow and one of the butterflies above the monster, seem to saturated and too light respectively - however, it could just be my monitor and bad gamma ;)

:beer:

Stahlberg
02-11-2003, 06:13 AM
Again thanks!! I just tweaked it again, this time:
changed eye-line as suggested by Cogliostro (moved monster-head up), added a faint background rock texture, worked on hair, changed the tire to the monster's tail, brightened the ground near her, added some orange bounce to the tongue, faded the skull and added some subtle things on the bottom right.

I'll certainly try my best to model it, but I'm not sure about animating it - a whole other order of difficulty, not sure I have time. We'll see.

I think the older version can still be seen in Henrik's overpaint, if you want to compare.

eLm0
02-11-2003, 11:05 AM
starlberg you crazy bas@#@rd i love you
never sece to amaze me:thumbsup:

coCoKNIght
02-11-2003, 02:34 PM
The picture doesn't convince me anymore since you've moved the moster-head up: Now it looks like the monster's gonna eat her any second, like she's no control on it. Maybe if you move her hand up a little bit?
The other changes are great but I like the picture better with the monsters-head in the old place...

G-StyLe
02-11-2003, 06:43 PM
That's beautiful :thumbsup:

kocola
02-12-2003, 12:29 AM
EXCELLENT!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

samartin
02-13-2003, 10:31 AM
I don't s'pose you have a higher res version of this piccie ??? I would love this 2 go on my desktop and I checked out the CG Gallery and you have a fair few postings on there and NO WAY am I surprised... :jawdrop:

Stahlberg
02-13-2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks, no higher resolution yet but I'm working on it...

coCoKNIght, I raised the hand like you suggested.

coCoKNIght
02-13-2003, 03:49 PM
Ah, yes! Wonderful! :love: *right click, save as...* :D
Thanks Steven! When are you going to model this scene? I' m looking forward to it. :)

swords
02-13-2003, 07:18 PM
so inspiring !
my only prob with it is the shadow form by the monster and the girl's arms. the 'volume shadow'.
shouldn't be so distinct throughout.

arg my english is rotten

hesido
02-13-2003, 10:44 PM
I am overwhelmed by the qualilty of artwork, yet I have to tell that I personally feel the face is too much like a child's, but the body belongs to an adult. You have been warned, this is not much of an artistic comment. Anyway, I feel the face is WAY TOO CUTE for the body. Maybe that's the way it goes for cute fairies.. I am not sure!

euxneks
02-14-2003, 01:41 AM
I think the monster looks way better in new (present) version. Just a slimmer one..kinda reminds me of the Nazgul. =) The faerie is excellent! I think that it looks just like what a faerie should look like! Adult body and innocent face work very well in this picture! How many hours of practice did it take for you to get to the level of expertise you are at right now?? That is fantastic work! Hope to see more!

Sublime
02-14-2003, 06:01 PM
I absolutely love this piece, the beast and the fairie are a great contrast.

kaber
02-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Nice peice.
The glow under her elbow and on her nose, is a bit distracting and makes it a lower quality peice imho. But then again, you might like it :-)
have fun.

peace.

samartin
02-14-2003, 10:59 PM
I say don't change a thing unless u make that higher res version ;), I think this is prob. the most awesome piece of work 2 b posted on here in ages... wow, maybe I should start my fan club 4 u now...

AtrusDni
02-24-2003, 07:36 AM
Awesome awesome work steven. I dont know what people are talking about with the lighting. I like it, I dont see anything wrong with it. I dont think the butterfly is out of place either. I know someone said they didnt like it, but everything fits together. Composition wise it is amazing, the butterfly is good too because it helps to draw your eyes around the image.
Great stuff. Keep up the good work.

santiago
02-24-2003, 08:49 AM
this is insane man :buttrock:

augustus
02-24-2003, 10:31 AM
It's great. :drool: Another masterpice to be jealous.

idiotguy
03-03-2003, 06:01 AM
holy crap thats nice

ramy
10-21-2004, 06:41 AM
I have to say your work is quite stunning! I've seen it everywhere...and it's great to see it here. Your work is definitely inspiring and motivating.

sam4grafix
11-25-2004, 02:24 PM
ya... thats really gr8 work... one of my top5!:bounce:

Concept-Mutt
12-03-2004, 07:49 PM
gotta love it! gotta have more!

TiCool
03-02-2005, 03:47 PM
I like the pose of the sweety fairy:thumbsup:

ArtSong
03-17-2005, 01:54 AM
Hi Mr. Stalhberg

It's a pleasure to watch your work ....// as always :)//
but i can't get a thing out of my head.. i have seen this theme before..
sure it's a well known theme.. the little fragile and the big scary thing :)

I saw a picture Beton had made and it looked very simmilar to yours..
Don't know if you have seen it...?
Please don't misunderstand me..but i just wants to know if you knew about his picture...

Keep up the good work
Gretz from ArtSong

Tawneycocker
05-17-2005, 05:28 AM
They rather remind me of a receptionist and an art director where I once worked. the similarity is astounding. she didnt take him any more seriously than the nymph takes the Monster. How extraordinarily real it looks. looks kinda like my old office too. you are without a doubt a master of your trade. Yours in art Tawneycocker

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2005, 05:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.