PDA

View Full Version : RealFlow with Ageia PhysX

Bmoner
11-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Does RealFlow support PhysX simulation? I work a lot with RealFlow and was wondering if the PhysX card will boost my simulation times. I can't find any documentation on RealFlow supporting it though.

DeKo-LT
11-06-2006, 03:29 PM
As I know for these days Ageia Novodex technologies use only BlastCode (for Maya), Ornatrix and upcoming Particle Flow Box #2 :sad:.

DeKo-LT
11-06-2006, 03:34 PM
I found official info:
http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/press.jsp?id=1120108410928

Bmoner
11-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Hmm ok. Thank you much

demoniorojo
11-26-2006, 01:56 PM
mmh I think that Cebas Thinkingparticles 2.5 support too...but Im not sure

Felixii
11-26-2006, 05:21 PM
thinking particles 2.5 dosent support ageia accelator. support will be in 3.0

SoLiTuDe
11-26-2006, 06:42 PM
since when does 2.5 not support it? Their website says it does, and from what I remember when I installed it, it asked whether or not i wanted to install agiea support (ie if i have the hardware)

Felixii
11-27-2006, 07:27 AM
I asked from cebas. they said that there is no support for the 2.5. I have also physX card installed and there is no effect to anything. I got also confused about what they said in their homepage and order the card. The fact is that the support will be in 3.0

SoLiTuDe
11-27-2006, 08:24 AM
lol... what a bunch of "fun" marketing techniques on their part. I understand that agiea has a software sdk and also has a hardware sdk as well. So I now see that it says Full Ageia Software Support on the top of their page... but it's funny how they word the rest of it... ThinkingParticles- AGEIA PhysX Hardware! This presentation illustrates integration and use of AGEIA PhysX to enable realtime dynamics simulations right within the 3ds max viewport. Future support of the AGEIA PhysX Processor may add even greater acceleration of the dynamic simulation capabilities of ThinkingParticles.

The first and last sentances kind of contradict each other -- you really have to watch the video to get what's going on here, and actually understand the fact that they have a software and hardware solution. I don't know if they changed their wording, but last time I looked into it, it seemed they were very adimant on hardware support. Either way, it's a nice alternative to reactor, which is a little dated now. Although I don't like tp a whole lot for particle work, it's still cool to have some really good physics built in on top of the stuff they already had. I'd like to see havok update reactor though, sometime soon, and would really like to see pflow tools box 2 come out. =)

Edit: Forgot to mention this totally means i'm not going to be buying an ageia card until it really becomes usable in some way for me. I enjoy games and such, but as far as i know, none of the games i'm really looking forward to are going to be specifically supporting it, so I'm going to wait it out still to see how things pan out with nvidia teaming up with havok and such. Would be nice to see a common api (dx10?) though so that any game or any 3d app could still take advantage of the physics processing power of a video card OR ageia card without having to specifically support one or the other.

demoniorojo
11-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Mmmh..I think that support Physx in software mode...at least tp 2.5 has a physx operator...

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2006, 07:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.