PDA

View Full Version : Nodelocked or Floating?

nanaboso
11-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but what is the difference between the nodelocked and the floating versions of Vue6 xstream.

mwalter1
11-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Nodelocked means you have a copy of Vue with an installation code (activation through e-on). You can install it on your home and work computer as long as they are not in use as the same time. This is the "standard" licence we had with Vue 5.

The floating licence is for large server based users. They buy several licences (seats) and when someone wants to use Vue, if a seat is open, then you can use it. Otherwise you get an error message telling you no seats available.

Peggy

nanaboso
11-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Thank you. Then nodelocked is the one for me.

rgdigital
11-16-2006, 04:12 PM
So, for the floating license, you have to pay the $745 for each seat? ...As opposed to just buying 3 copies of the nodelocked version? Am I right about this or are addtional server seats cheaper than the initial $745?

Wabe
11-17-2006, 06:30 AM
Yes and no - you buy a floating license version. Then you install the license server (software) on one of your machine and activate the license there (from the license server). And install Infinite now on all machines. You now can use Infinite on all machines, but only as many copies THE SAME TIME as you have licenses.

rgdigital
11-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks.

We actually went for the Node-locked version, which brings me to my next question:

It says you can install the node-locked version on a second computer (say a work and home computer, as long as they're not in the same network). How do you do this? I registered my work copy with no problems, but when I tried to register at home, it said my reg. # was bad. Any tricks to getting it to work on a second machine?

mwalter1
11-18-2006, 03:17 AM
You need to go through the activation process the same as for the work machine. They will give you a new number. No hassles or phone calls though - it's an automatic process (well, it was for me on both of my computers!).

Wabe
11-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Exactly what mwalter1 said.

synergy543
11-19-2006, 12:28 AM
You need to go through the activation process the same as for the work machine. They will give you a new number. No hassles or phone calls though - it's an automatic process (well, it was for me on both of my computers!).If its a different number, then what happens to copy-protected content purchased from Cornucopia? How can you use copy-protected content on the second machine if it has a different number?

mwalter1
11-19-2006, 06:33 PM
I copy files between my work and home computer with no problems. Not sure how/what they do, but it works.

synergy543
11-19-2006, 07:15 PM
I copy files between my work and home computer with no problems. Not sure how/what they do, but it works. And are you using Cornucopia copyrighted models with two different Vue serial numbers? Not all the Cornucopia models are copy-righted so it probably works fine with everything else.

The reason, I ask, is I would like to use models on both my desktop and laptop but I'm not sure if that means I need to pay extra to get the non-copyrighted models. And if this were the case, I wonder if there were some way to "upgrade" copyrighted models without buying outright again.

This is all so confusing!:banghead:

Wabe
11-20-2006, 07:12 AM
You definitely do not have to purchase them twice. Worst case is that you have to download them twice - for each INST code. This is allowed without any problem.

mwalter1
11-20-2006, 01:22 PM
All the models I buy at Cornucopia are the copy-protected. I only need to download once and am able to use on both computers. If you do decide to "upgrade" a model to the non-copy protected version, contact the Cornucopia store. You would only have to pay the difference between copy-protected and non-copy protected.Peggy

mwalter1
11-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Forgot to mention... I also have a copy of Vue Easel for my daughter to cut her 3D teeth on. If I want to use the models for her, then I have to re-download the models and make sure I select the proper version. You get 5 downloads, but they can always be reset if you need more.

synergy543
11-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the responses, you have eased my mind. :thumbsup:

It seems like a fair system.

I do wish though that with products such as the Xfrog plants Cornucopia would provide the various formats that you would get with a DVD purchase to be able to use them with other programs too.

Wabe
11-21-2006, 06:09 AM
I think the reason why XFrog plants are cheaper at Cornucopia3D is that there are not all the different formats. Pay more, get more is probably the principle.

synergy543
11-21-2006, 06:48 AM
I think the reason why XFrog plants are cheaper at Cornucopia3D is that there are not all the different formats. Pay more, get more is probably the principle.

The Xfrog DVDs have 20 models for $149 all formats.
The models at Cornucopia are $14.95 each.
You do the math...
...its your MasterCard. :deal:

Wabe
11-21-2006, 08:23 AM
LOL - as mathematician i can not calculate. So sorry.

But you compare bundles with single items. This is a difference of course. So i would say - go for the bundle. But buy the full bundles (America for example) 6 for $599 is even cheaper than one for $149. And i am on Visa btw.

CGTalk Moderation
11-21-2006, 08:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.