PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic

blackwood
11-05-2006, 02:52 PM
This is a model I've been working on of the new Honda Civic. My original aim was to keep it under 10,000 tri's but now I've seen the level of detail increase on current racing game releases I'm gonna push it up to around 1400. I want to make the interior to a standard where it looks good from outside, so any advice on this would be appreciated.

revelli
11-06-2006, 11:38 AM
nice try, but try to remove some polygons from side, i think, that much of them are not useful

blackwood
11-06-2006, 02:15 PM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8611/honda02we9.jpg

Revelli: I see what you mean, I'll try welding some of those later tonight. I looked at your cg portfolio and I can tell you know what you're doing. Any chance you could post/send me some wires of the cars you made?

retardedmonkey
11-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Yeah revelli is right, there are alot of polys on the sides and all over pretty much, that dont need to be there. Just because you can have 10000 polys its still best to try and keep it as low as possible without compromising the shape you are going for. You just dont want to add polys because you can have that much.

blackwood
11-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Heres where i've got to so far:

http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/1412/civic01ye1.jpg

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/204/civic02bu1.jpg

I'm gonna work on the reflections and lighting now.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Gamedev
11-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Its looking ok, though there is some pretty nasty geometry on that front bumper. The car could also really use a specular map. That will really make it pop and get rid of the plastic look it has now as the entire surface is evenly lit.

What is this for?

HellBoy
11-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Holy smokes. too many edges :D

You can pretty much get similar results with fewer edges gone. But if you unwrapped it, then I guess its a pain in the arse

nevertheless, its looking sweet

revelli
11-17-2006, 06:34 AM
but if you want to remove some of them, just use backspace for clean removing;)

JesseMoody
11-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Holy poly wasteage batman! This can definetly be cleaned up a lot. Like GameDev said that front bumper is nasty. The hood, windshield, side panels, doors, the seam on the door has a ton of wasted polys or polys that aren't used in a good manner. Why model the seam when you can normal map it? Look at that license plate. Why so many polys to define the shape?

You could easily cut that down big time.

It's looking good but you have some work to do to optimize this. I wouldn't have started texturing it until you had a for sure done mesh. Also why do you have the geometry for the gas cap? No need for that man.

Dennispls
11-17-2006, 09:30 AM
most of the details you modelled could be textured and will probably look better in the end.
It looks as if you have a high poly structure in your mind when modelling cars.
Try to check out some lower poly wires from other car creators and see what they do different

blackwood
11-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the crits (and praise), I'll tidy up the front of it tonight by welding some of those polys together. I've also started to add reflections and specular which is making it look alot more shiny now where it needed.

Two games companies are interested in seeing this when its finished, so i wanna make it look professional.

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2006, 02:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.