PDA

View Full Version : 7950gt

LemonNado
11-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Anyone running E-OGL and other soft successful on a 7950GT?

My mega cool (blehhh) ATI has more and more driver related issues with newer software like XSI 5.11, Modo, VUE6, and C4D....

CHeers
Rainer

tonare
11-05-2006, 03:17 PM
It's out already(7950)?
I hope so I've been waiting for this one.:D

Yea, ati and there drivers have always had problems. Maybe since AMD, bought ATI, this can be resolved...but who knows.

LemonNado
11-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Actually Tonare, I never had ATI driver problems in general. I have a FireGL 7100 and use only certified drivers. Something you will not find for the smaller cards. And the drivers certified for my main app are only OGL 1.5 Drivers. And thus they start to show their age with newer App's like C4D 10 and VUE6.... It's not that there is a stability problem or so.

However, I made the leap and installed the latest, NON certified drivers for my main app, and -surprise- I can run C4D 10 Demo in E-OGL, Modo runs MUCH better, VUE6 lost it's screen update problems, and.... my main app.. runs just fine (for now...).

So, never mind, I do not need to run to the shop and get another Card. My ATI seems to be good for another few month.

And gain, I never had a single problem with any ATI I had. And I had about 6 Generations. I also had a few NVidia's and was equally happy with those.

What are your problems with it? Or did you only repeat the word on the street?

If you like to buy a 7950gt then CompUSA has them in the stores for pickup. Depending where you live, you can have it in a few minutes. Their price looks good compared to others. However, it's rather low compared to what those cards cost just a few month ago.... Maybe there is a new one coming out soon and they try and clear stock.
That's how I got my FireGL7100 for a fair price. A week later new cards came out... I was not really angry as those were way over my budget at that time.

Cheers and good luck shopping
Rainer

tonare
11-05-2006, 04:46 PM
What are your problems with it? Or did you only repeat the word on the street?

I've never owned one myself, but over the years of having to fix or hear about them from clients, has directed me towards Nvidia, which Im really happy with. But most of these people I've helped over the years were basic users too. I know there great cards, and I've wanted to try one everytime I get a new card, but I always end up with nvidia.

Yea I was shocked how low the price is!
I just bought a 7800 gt, last month for more than what the 7950 is going for.=/
I expected the usual price of a new high end card, around 500-600.

LemonNado
11-05-2006, 08:31 PM
I expected the usual price of a new high end card, around 500-600.

Same here. Made me curious... There is one more expensive NVidia card before it heads into the Workstatio cards. And that has two processors as I understand. The NVidia, and the ATI offerings are slightly confusing... to say the least. And a workstation card for 2500$... ?!?!?!

I read rumors that a 'G8' card is pending from NVidia this year. 8th generation.... So... I'd wait if there is no immediate requirement.

That's why I am so happy that the latest driver works with all the upgrades I just made. So I can go fishing for something nice in January-March. After the hype is over.

Cheers
Rainer

LemonNado
11-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Here is a feature viewer. In case you are unsure what your card can and cannot do.

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

Rainer

MJV
11-06-2006, 06:48 AM
I replaced my FireGL card with a 7950 a couple of weeks ago. Enhanced OGL works now but if I had it to do over again I'd probably skip the upgrade until I get my next computer. I also have one problem with the card in that once in a while I get a black screen flash, which is not so nice.

LemonNado
11-06-2006, 12:45 PM
The FireGL 7100 works like a champ right now. I had to set the config to SoftImage XSI becuase that hung when I tried to use sliders. But now it's running everything just fine. C4D10 demo in enhanced OGL and VUE6 and Modo and a few other OGL apps.

The driver I use for that is Version 8.163.1. One Release above and all comes down and one below and a lot of features go missing.

The newer driver 8.233 does not even work well with Windows XP.

It would be great if the card manufacturers would put out less amounts of variations and better drivers.... I miss the times where you had the BEST card and the past models. That was it. Now you have all sorts of mixes of slower ram, over clocked GPU's, normal clock GPU's faster RAM. Price is no indication any more.... Since Marketing took over, that product is down the hole as well...

Rainer

tonare
11-07-2006, 01:04 AM
It would be great if the card manufacturers would put out less amounts of variations and better drivers.... I miss the times where you had the BEST card and the past models. That was it. Now you have all sorts of mixes of slower ram, over clocked GPU's, normal clock GPU's faster RAM. Price is no indication any more.... Since Marketing took over, that product is down the hole as well...
Rainer

I couldnt agree more. Yea, its nice to have alot of the options and new features, but when it boils down to it, most users are still using the card for the same thing/reason, and same features as in the old days.

It very expensive as well to upgrade you pc to revolve around a video card lol.

And hey, thx for the cool little download, thats very handy.:D

LemonNado
11-07-2006, 03:16 AM
NP. I nearly got a heart attack when I saw thaqt ATI came out with a totaly new set of cards one week after I bought my FirGL. GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. Still a good card so...
Rainer

LemonNado
11-09-2006, 03:48 PM
LOL...

http://www.nvidia.com/page/home.html

Yesterday the new gen came out.....

Rainer

tonare
11-10-2006, 07:09 AM
rofl....man its almost near impossible to have a totally new computer( up to date ).

Looks great but as usual, unless I win the lottery, or someone pays off my car and mortgage, i'll wait for about 4-6 months for the price to come down lol.=/

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2006, 07:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.