PDA

View Full Version : Text that Blows Away like Sand

Nu Elemental
11-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Hey everyone,

What Im looking for is a tutorial or some instructions on how to make text in Maya blow away like sand using dynamics. My instructor and a friend said this could be probably be achieved in Maya. Im using it for 2 or 3 short captions that I want to fade in and then blow away. Or even possibly blow in and create itself before blowing away again.

I've found a couple tutorials for Softimage where something like this was achieved, but nothing for Maya.

Any thoughts? I appreciate the help.

Thank you,
LJ

Aikiman
11-04-2006, 10:42 PM
This may help...http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/gravity_vs_uniform.html
this is a moderately intermediate level effect so requires some knowledge of Maya.

Meesto
11-05-2006, 12:31 AM
You'll need to be carefull about what you pipe into the "emit from texture" controls on the particle emitter. You can use file nodes and ramps, but an actual shader node won't work. This has to do with the way that UV coordinates are passed to the emitter from the texture utility nodes.

It is not a "basic" thing to do so give yourself some time to put this all together.

rasamaya
11-05-2006, 03:37 AM
Using Fluids to Form an Image by Tom Bardwell

was on the community forum at Alias, I dont know if its there anymore.

I have a sample, and know how to do it if you want. Just email me.

Rasa

ChristopherP
11-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Depending on your scene-complexity (perspective, setup...) you could also do that purely in compositing. I know that in can be done very well in eyeon's Fusion for example.

Just a thought

Christopher

akaiwa
11-05-2006, 09:16 AM
There's an After Effects tutorial that teaches this, if you don't mind doing it in post

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/eriksson_emanuel/sand/index.html

and it must achieve what you want, since the tutorial is titled exactly what this thread is. :)

Nu Elemental
11-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I really appreciate the insight.

I did see the After Effects tutorial, but I have no access to Particle Playground unfortunatly and thus cannot achieve that result in post production as far as I know. Im not sure if there is another way to achieve the same results without using particle playground.

LJ

Nu Elemental
11-06-2006, 05:08 AM
Thanks again to everyone who answered. I found a solution to my problem.

Using a simple nurbs plane set as the particle emitter, I applied a simple texture map that was a jpeg of the text I wanted to have blow away. I then changed the emitter setting so that that the particles would be emitted from the texture map...and then...only from the dark part of the texture map which was the lettering.

Now the particles were flowing out of my letters, but the text was not formed. To achieve what I wanted I turned up the number of particles being emitted and lengthened the life of the particles so they wouldnt just disappear. I turned the speed to 0 as well. This allowed all the particles to emit but then go nowhere so after about 70 frames or so all the letters were filled with particles. This worked well as I changed my original idea so that the letters would now form themselves out of particles anyway. Convenient. Now...the particles had a life of about 300 frames so I keyframed the emiter to produce particles until frame 75 and then stop. The particles emitted up to that point would still linger to form the letters.

Now the final step was to create a uniform field and a turbulance field and keyframe them off until about frame 100. At frame 100 I turned them both on and adjusted the magnitude until I had the right look.

The final result...Text that appeared to construct itself out of grains of sand...linger...and then blow away with the wind.

I rendered it with motion blur and honestly...for a first time experience with maya dynamics Im quite pleased. Im sure with more work and experience I could make it look even better.

Thanks for the ideas and the pointers from you guys. I really do appreciate it.

LJ

ElecHeadMatt
11-08-2006, 05:48 AM
Hey, thats pretty clever actually. Excellent solution!

TheNeverman
02-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Could you show us the finished result?
Sounds cool...

dangerweenie
03-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Hey everyone,

What Im looking for is a tutorial or some instructions on how to make text in Maya blow away like sand using dynamics. My instructor and a friend said this could be probably be achieved in Maya. Im using it for 2 or 3 short captions that I want to fade in and then blow away. Or even possibly blow in and create itself before blowing away again.

I've found a couple tutorials for Softimage where something like this was achieved, but nothing for Maya.

Any thoughts? I appreciate the help.

Thank you,
LJ

Did you see the RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION movie trailer text? sounds exactly like what you're lookin for (they don't show the effect until the very end):

RE3 TRAILER (http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/residentevilextinction.html)

Strob
05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
You could also get a very cool effect by modeling your text in 3d (using "super bevel") and using an animated slim cube moving from top to bottom to create a boolean diffence and a larger cube to make the text disapear from top to bottom. Then you emit from the slim cube some particles with 2 dephased turbulence fields applied to them (you also have to lower the conserve attribute of your particle). I will try to post an animation to show you what I'm talking about.

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.