PDA

View Full Version : Scaling ecosystem problem( usin a grayscale map)

ozioz
11-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi everyone.

I have had a big problem since ı watched one of Ivan's movies about the terrains in VUE. The video was so succesfull so I wanted to apply the same way in order to adjust my ecosystem objects.

I have tried everything that I can imagene butI have been able to do nothing so far. İt must be a problem with me because Ivan was doing it very well. İt is really a simple process. Just use the function editor, get a grayscale image and that is it. White color shows you that there is gonno be plants on that area, black color shows you that there is gonno be nothing with your ecosystem. İn this method, you just use variable scaling slot in the scaling&orientation tab.

As I said before, it has become so defucult to me. For that reason I send you folks my object and my grayscale image that I wanna use in this process. I hope one of you guys can help me about that. The object that I send you is an "obj.". UV unwrapping has been done. A very basic object that represents us a part of a mountain.

If you are not tired or lazy, please help me. I'm going crazy..

Thank you again.

IvanB
11-04-2006, 02:28 AM
Hey ozioz,

I'll download it and give it a try, then post a pic.

Ivan.

EDIT: Its done.....

Ok... the terrain on the left was made using your image and inverting it....The terrain on the right is a default terrain with an eco of rocks mapped by your image in variable scaling..the other is using the image to create a terrain and populating it.

I hope thats what you were after..if not let me know.

Ivan.

ozioz
11-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Thank you Ivan. But I think you got me wrong or maybe I should say that I have not been able to explain What I wanna achive.

I know how it works with default terrain meshes in VUE ( mapping ) But the problem that I have is that I can not apply this mapping method to the object ( polygon ) that I've imported from 3dsMax. I am gonno send you a quick render that shows what the mountain looks with the texture. If you let me say; I want you to use this polygon object named mountain and apply the grayscale image onto it in order to achive the appropriate ecosystem scaling and distrubution. Black colors on the mountain image dicrabes that there is gonno be no plants or trees at all.

Here is the image... Thank you again , you are so polite.

IvanB
11-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Oh..like that..ok its done..check images to confirm....

This is how you do it...Stick your tounge out to the left, and squint your right eye...with your head tilted to the left...LOL..http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

No really,
import object...in the material editor i mapped the image onto terrain.(you probably dont have to do this), Then in the scaling/orientation..edit function then load a texture map node..then choose your image...click on eco and populate (setup the scale etc)

If you need more details...just ask.

Ivan.

EDIT: I just had a closer look at the populated eco system, to find small (plants) in the black area, cos its not actually black, but a really dark grey..so it will get populated a bit...Make sure its a solid black.

IvanB
11-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Here's what i mean about the black area.

ozioz
11-04-2006, 04:56 PM
OK IvanB;

As far as I see, you've done it again so succesfully. My mountain realy looks greate. That is exactlly What I wanna see in my Vue secene. I also wanna thank you for helping me for many times.

You have also written something about the process. I see and I have done everything you wrote in this thread and it is actually my problem. It does not wanna work with me I think. :)

For the solid black situaution you are right. I checked my image out and saw that it was dark gray. I am gonno change it and fill you in about the result. Thank you again. You did well. Maybe I should watch your video for 20.000 times again. :)

See you soon

IvanB
11-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Hey Ozioz,

Which part isn't working for you?..describe your workflow....we'll get ti to work!

ozioz
11-05-2006, 11:34 AM
I follow the every single step for this method. Everything is OK.. In other words; I have done everything that you did in your video tutorial. ( I have tried for many times ) In the end, my ecosytem scaling and plants distrubituon do not match with the map that I used for the function editor. That is How it works with my Vue scene. I do not understand. The plants become either too big or too small on the mountain. Nothing looks normal Ivan. You did it beautifully with my map and my poly object. Everything is the same. Did you use an other software ??? :)

May it be a problem about my version of VUE? İt is a trial version ( the last one which is Vue 5 ).. I can not give it a try now because my machine render a scene with max.

I don't know what to do. After My machine finishes the rendering, I am gonno try it again and fill you in about the result. But I do not hope that it is gonno work properly..

IvanB
11-05-2006, 01:05 PM
I'll make a little video specifically using your stuff, so you can follow it..I dont think it being a trial version should be a problem.

I'll post a link, when its done.

Ivan.

EDIT: Ok, i have made a video for you...heres the link.

http://www.esnips.com/web/Ozioz

You dont have to map the image onto the terrain..i did that to show you the correct orientation...Just do the variable scaling thing with the eco.

Let me know when you have downloaded it, so i can delete the folder.

Let me know how you went.

Good luck.

IvanB
11-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Hi me again,

Thought i'd let you know, something funny is happening to my videos after i upload them..they are being converted to .flv files and the quality is crap!

It should be a quicktime movie...See how you go.

Ive emailed tech support at the site to see whats up.

ozioz
11-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Is that for me??

Oo my god!!

Thank you so much Ivan B.. I do not know what to say! You are so polite....

I am downloding it now and after it finishes. I am gonno write again..

You are greate IvanB.. The most helpful thing I can guess.

Thank you again man.

ozioz
11-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Hi IvanB

This is me again...

I've been nagging you since I told you What the Problem is. Anyway, thank you again.

I couldn't download it due to network problems and the other problems that has been caused by the site u used to upload. By the way, I will never render with the exported polygons that have many meshes such as 222000 more or less. For that reason; I couldn't open a vu file in order to try what you did in the movie either. So, It is getting downloaded now and is about to finish. Looks like this time İt is gonno be a quick time format. You can delete your file now Ivan. If I am too late, please forgive me... :)

Once and for all, this thread become a chat thread rather than a Comminity Forum. I hope this means that Noone knows anything about this problem.

I wanna give you my msn so we can talk to each other . If you agree, just add my account into your list in the MSN...

ozan3d@hotmail.com

See you soon

EDIT:

I downloaded it but unfortunately It doesn't work...

Forget it... :)

IvanB
11-07-2006, 02:12 AM
Hey Ozan,

I've tried to send the file via email, but its not working..or atleast it says its failed....I'm going to try an upload it to the tute site again.

Ivan.

EDIT: I tried it in the Vue5 xstream trial vesion, which installs a trial version of vue5 and it works the same.

Heres an image.

EDIT #2: I've uploaded the video again with an extra video using vue5 trial version...They seen to be working now.

ozioz
11-07-2006, 04:49 PM
At Last....

Ivam You are realy great man. I watched the vid you had uploded and tried what you did in the vid. That works man. I can not believe it but It works. I can adjust my plant distrubituon using the gray map. It was so importent to solve this problem for me.

Thank you again Ivan. You have helpd me so much. And I also wanna thank the other people in that forum allowing me to keep on this little "Chat Thread".. :)

Solving a problem must be the best thing on this planet. HAaaaahaa haah haa..

I did it...

See you soon..

Note: Ivan you can delete the files in that sharing web site. Thank you again.

IvanB
11-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Hi Ozan,

No problems mate..thats what these forums are for!

Ivan.

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2006, 06:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.