PDA

View Full Version : Optical Markers Don't Show Up

ConSeannery
11-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi,

I imported a Vicon c3d file into Motion Builder 7.5. From there I exported it as fbx file and afterwards imported it into Maya 7.0 with the FBX Plugin 2006.08 from the Autodesk website. However the optical markers don't show up in the View window. They are listed in the outliner under the c3doptical reference node, but invisible in the Viewer. Sometimes I can see the reference node in the origin of the Grid, but no markers.
Any ideas? This little bug is driving me nuts :-(

Thanks guys!

softdistortion
11-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Can't help, but curious why you are wanting to use optical markers directly in Maya?

Sammer
11-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Just a guess in the dark... Is it possible the optical markers are imported into Maya as nulls (or locators) and you have "Nulls" (or "Locators") uncheced in the view window options?

Edit: One reason to import might be; Without MB Pro you can't link optical data to a character. If you import the data and connect (constrain) something between optical markers (nulls, geometry) you can then use that to drive a characters skeleton directly.

ConSeannery
11-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Can't help, but curious why you are wanting to use optical markers directly in Maya?

I wanted to create a skeleton that has the same proportion as the actor in the mocap studio. So I wanted to import the markers to align the joints and bones properly. I am very new to the whole MoCap stuff...is this nonsense what I am doing? Doesn't it matter what the proportions of the skeletons are as long as it is a standard biped?

Also I now made the markers appear in the Maya viewer, but I had to use the FBX Converter. I converted the MB fbx file to a fbx file which is compatible to MB 5.5. This was the only conversion option that worked for me. Even making the fbx file compatible to MB 6.0 or 7.0 didn't work.

The strange thing was however that the markers seemed to be in the scene nevertheless, although invisible. In the Maya Outliner they were listed as poly planes under the root node and not as markers, and when I selected them and applied the move oder rotate tool I could see the tool handles in the viewer at the correct places where the markers should be.

Anyway, maybe you have some suggestions on how to avoid this little workaround with the FBX Converter? It's not a good workflow...

Thanks guys!

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2006, 08:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.