PDA

View Full Version : Non Zero Rotations

GrimPixel
11-03-2006, 07:12 AM
I am just wondering if anyone else is seeing this or if its just some new option in Maya 8 that I haven't figured out needs to be changed. When ever I create an RP IK handle for any joints, very small non zero rotation values are being added to the joints.

As an example if I grid snap 3 joints giving them equal spacing and ensuring they are all in a straight line. I then set the preferred angle for them. Set the rotations back to zero, and then create an RP IK handle every joint gets something like -0.00001 or 0.000034 in one of the rotation axis. Now in Maya 7 if I do these same steps I might get a -0 rotation value. Which is strange but its been like that for a while, and all is well. In Maya 8 I actually get small non zero rotations. Which is freaking frustrating.

Anyone else seeing this, or did I just not change some option that is causing this to happen.

Grim

westiemad
11-03-2006, 07:47 AM
i think the - in 7 is the same as just a really small number, I normally disable all my ik handles, zero all my joints then bind to a skin and re enable iks when needed, that way i can always get back to the bind pose.

GrimPixel
11-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks Westiemad. Its probably just me being overly OCD and fighting to get those rotations equal to zero when i should really just move on.

Grim

JYoung
11-04-2006, 12:25 AM
I just did a test and got the same result. Something like a -0.002 on the y rotation. Freezing transformations zeroed it out(as it should), but I'm not sure that's necessarily the best fix.

GrimPixel
11-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Doesn't freezing transforms on a joint after the IK handle has been created cause all sorts of uncool wackiness with the IK Handle? I have always been told and tried to ensure zero rotation values on joints while rigging. Is this one of those times where zero rotation is best, but given whats going on with IK handle creating those small rotation values I should just move on and everything is going to be swell?

As an aside, does anyone know, care to share, or can point me to how, one goes about creating a smooth "stretchy ik" system? I have seen various ways of creating the "stretchy ik" but all of the ones I have seen so far have that little pop that happens when the IK handle gets close to full extension into the stretch.

GrimPixel

djx
11-05-2006, 11:03 AM
...a smooth "stretchy ik" system?
Check out http://www.michael-hutchinson.com/home/index.php
The elastik plugin does what you are looking for. Its the easiest stretchy ik I have ever worked with.

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2006, 11:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.