PDA

View Full Version : is xsibatch slower???

eyeweaver
11-03-2006, 05:00 AM
Hi every body :)

I just found this part in xsi's manual in the rendering methods section / Batch Rendering Basics (XSI -R) :

Performing these commands from a shell can increase your render times significantly, especially when you want to render several scenes.

does this mean that rendering with xsibatch is slower than rendering from xsi's gui??? :'( :'(

JDex
11-03-2006, 05:10 AM
Well I've not found that to be the case... would you care to share the context that that statement is made in?

eyeweaver
11-03-2006, 05:54 AM
Dear JDex
Thank you so much for the quick response and help :)

here is the complete context , I hope you can help me with your experience:

Batch Rendering Basics (XSI -R)

You can use the XSI -R command-line options to define hundreds of render options from a shell without launching XSI. In addition to editing options, you can load and import scenes, save them, launch renders, create MI2 files, and even perform queries. Batch-rendering commands need not only be applied to a scene, but they can be specified per render pass.

Notice! : Performing these commands from a shell can increase your render times significantly, especially when you want to render several scenes.

xsi -r and xsibatch -r

You can render in batch mode remotely using Telnet or a remote shell (rsh). On Linux, use xsi -r as usual. On Windows, use xsibatch -r instead. The xsibatch command supports the same options as xsi. However, the beta version of the Telnet daemon included in some versions of the Windows Resource Kit (TELNETD) is not supported.

From the Windows desktop, you can drag and drop a scene (*.scn) file directly onto the XSI_4.0 Batch Rendering (scriptxsi.bat) shortcut. Use this shortcut to quickly launch a batch render for a scene using xsibatch -r. The Setup program automatically creates this shortcut on your desktop for this purpose, and scriptxsi.bat can be edited with the User Tools.

Usage Example

Here’s an example of a command line with some commonly used options that could be used to render from the command prompt or a batch file:

xsi -r -scene "C:\myproject\scenes\mybeautiful.scn" -pass "Beauty" -startframe 1 -endframe 2 -mb true

If the -query, -echo, -save and -render are not specified in the command line, XSI -R will render the scene by default.

Getting Help

To summon the help, you can type any of the following:

xsi -r -h
xsi -r -help

Boolean-Type Switch

Booleans become set to true when any of the following values are used:

• “true” or true

• “on” or on

• “yes” or yes

Any other value will be considered as false.

Specifying Multiple Commands

You can specify several commands to be executed subsequently by separating them with “&&”.

Example:

xsi -r bla && xsi -r -echo blo

Most Common XSI -R Commands

The following is a list of the most commonly used xsi -r commands:

Example 1: Typical Render

[xsi | xsibatch] -r -scene "C:\myproject\scenes\mybeautiful.scn" -pass "Beauty" -startframe 1 -endframe 2 -mb true

Renders the Beauty pass of “mybeautiful” scene from frame 1 to 2 using motion blur.

Example 2: Querying a Scene

[xsi | xsibatch] -r -scene "C:\myproject\scenes\mybeautiful.scn" -query "passes"

Lists all of the passes in “mybeautiful” scene. No render will occur.

Example 3: Single Frame Render of All Passes to Another Directory

[xsi | xsibatch] -r -scene "C:\myproject\scenes\foo.scn" -startframe 1 -endframe 1 -step 1 -pass "All" -render on -filename "C:\rendered_images\foo"

Renders all the passes from the “foo” scene (frame 1 only) and saves them with a specific path and file name (rendered_images/foo).

Example 4: Creating MI2 Format Files of All a Scene’s Passes

[xsi | xsibatch] -r -scene "C:\myproject\scenes\foo.scn" -startframe 1 -endframe 2 -step 1 -pass "All" -echo on -echo_file "C:\mi2_files\foo"

Creates (or echos) an mi2 format file for every pass in the “foo” scene and saves them in the mi2_files directory. The files will be named “foo”.

Example 5: Importing a Scene and Querying it

[xsi | xsibatch] -r -import "C:\myproject_db\Scenes\guava.dsc" -query "all"

Imports the “guava” .dsc format file (SOFTIMAGE|3D scene) and conducts a query to list all passes, referenced files, and rendering options.

Example 6: Loading and Saving a Scene under a New Name

[xsi | xsibatch] -r scene "C:\myproject\scenes\noah.scn" -startframe 54 -endframe 210 -step 1 -save "C:\myproject\scenes\foo2.scn"

Saves a new scene from frames 54 to 210 of the “noah” scene to another directory. The newly saved scene will be named “foo2” and will use the render options defined for frames 54 to 210 of the “noah” scene.

Sbowling
11-03-2006, 09:34 AM
I would guess that's a typo (it should be decrease), because I find it to be much quicker (and use less memory). As far as rendering multiple scenes, I'm not sure that's possible through the GUI unless you open multiple instances of XSI. I could be wrong though. :shrug:

kimaldis
11-03-2006, 10:44 AM
script:

loop:
load scene
render it.

I wouldn't recommend it though.

for some help building render batch files from within xsi

http://www.kim-aldis.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=44&Itemid=59

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2006, 10:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.