PDA

View Full Version : Intersecting layers using z-depth?

dr_bob
02-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Hi

I'm trying to get my head around using z-depth files in Maya/AE, and I'm having a few problems.

Purely for test purposes, I've got two objects in Maya - a sphere, and a cube - which intersect when both are visible. I've rendered these out separately (using RLA's with Z-depth switched on) and brought both renders into AE. However, when I drag both renders into a comp, the top layer covers the lower one. What I want to happen is for AE to use the z-depth in both layers to intersect the two objects.

Any suggestions as to how to do this? Can it be done? Or am I completely misunderstanding the purpose of z-depth files?

Thanks.

jeferichardson
02-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Show me the image you are talking about.

f_jo
02-08-2003, 05:38 PM
dr_bob : it seems that u have the same prob like i have. But i haven't found the solution, i can't seem to find any way to use z-depth (either using RLA, RPF or separate the map). Tried masking but this isn't the best solution, still got alot of problem.

jeferichardson : i've post an image to explain this, say image 1 is layer 1, image 2 is layer 2. Now when composed in AE if i put the layer 1 above layer 2 image 3 is the result right? But when i put the layer 2 above the layer 1 image 4 is the result, what I want (perhaps dr_bob too) is image 3 as the result. Ok maybe you'll said just put the layer 2 below layer 1 and problem solved. But that's not the problem. If that so, what's the zdepth for? And if it to define depth on each layer how to use it?

dg
02-12-2003, 03:56 AM
You can't

Because each file has itīs own z-buffer info and they are in sapareted layers, so you can't blend them, cause you aren't working in real 3D space just a 2D emulation of that, so a belive it's impossible at least in AE, and I don't know any other soft that can do this kind of stuff with *.rla or *.rpf files.

See Ya!

dg
02-12-2003, 04:02 AM
what's the zdepth for?

You can use z-depth for doing things that will take centuries to render in 3D, like DOF, Fog, and applying Lens flares that interacts with objects in your scene, if you use rpf format you can even use to remap some part of your model with some other image or video in composinting with your files already rendered.

I hope that helps you!
See Ya!

f_jo
02-12-2003, 08:28 PM
ic... altho this is dr_bob's thread that really clear things out... i'm free from my headache now :D... thanks :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.