PDA

View Full Version : "painter like" linux aplicaction?

EzequielM
11-02-2006, 07:34 PM
im wondering if there is a corelpainter/artrage/aliassketchbook like aplication for linux, besides the gimp and cinepaint, that could take advantage of the intuos 3 pressure and tilt

thanx in advance...

Improv
11-07-2006, 06:45 AM
im wondering if there is a corelpainter/artrage/aliassketchbook like aplication for linux, besides the gimp and cinepaint, that could take advantage of the intuos 3 pressure and tilt

thanx in advance...

Anyone? I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this as well.

teatimebing
11-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Amazon Paint and Amazon 3D from IFX (www.ifx.com)
and Pixel32 (http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=12)

are the only Photoshop/painter like products for Linux. Amazon costs thousands, and pixel is still in development (but it's getting there :D). If Gimp isn't your cup of tea either, then try Krita and inkscape.

Improv
11-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Amazon Paint and Amazon 3D from IFX (www.ifx.com)
and Pixel32 (http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=12)

are the only Photoshop/painter like products for Linux. Amazon costs thousands, and pixel is still in development (but it's getting there :D). If Gimp isn't your cup of tea either, then try Krita and inkscape.

Thanks for the links. Pixel32 and Krita look interesting, I'm going to try them out-thanks! :-)

EzequielM
11-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Thanx!!
Now a days im working with cinepaint on fedora core 6, and a few things with gimp, but i was following the development of pixel32 since last year, and have to say that it sounds very promising

Next week ill purchase pixel32, i cant wait any longer to get my hands into it

Improv
11-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Next week ill purchase pixel32, i cant wait any longer to get my hands into it

I thought Pixel 32 looked promising too, until I tried it. Brush strokes are slow as anything to appear onscreen. When you first draw a line , you get what looks like a line of cross-hatching and then 4 seconds or so latter, the real line of paint appears. This happens with both the linux version and the win xp version.

And no, it's not my system. Painter IX.5, ArtRage, Gimp, Inkscape and Krita all work very well.

Oh well...

EzequielM
11-12-2006, 06:04 PM
I thought Pixel 32 looked promising too, until I tried it. Brush strokes are slow as anything to appear onscreen. When you first draw a line , you get what looks like a line of cross-hatching and then 4 seconds or so latter, the real line of paint appears. This happens with both the linux version and the win xp version.

And no, it's not my system. Painter IX.5, ArtRage, Gimp, Inkscape and Krita all work very well.

Oh well...

No way!! really?? i cant believe your words... im really disapointed hearing that

ive read on their web that with the pixel purchase you get updates till 2.0, and unlimited support
Did you contact the support staff? what did they say about that???
Ive heard a lot of greats things about pixel, but now im gonna search a little bit more about your issue before buying

I think ill just gonna have to run AR through wine...

have Anyone tried that? what about the extended devices in wine? does AR, photoshop, or Alias sketchbook have pressure and tilt in wine?
Im very pleased with the behavior of my fc box, and i would like to keep that os, the performance in viewports and render raised about 20% :)... i dont wanna go back to m$

Improv
11-12-2006, 07:13 PM
No way!! really?? i cant believe your words... im really disapointed hearing that

Whether you can beleive it or not, it happened. Haven't you even used the demo yet?

Did you contact the support staff? what did they say about that???
Ive heard a lot of greats things about pixel, but now im gonna search a little bit more about your issue before buying

Just try the demo and see for yourself. There is really no need to contact them-when all those other painting progs on both linux and windows work very well with the Wacom tablet and mouse and I have 17 years experience configuring pc hardware and software.
And the Wacom Graphire is one of the most common tablets around.

Sorry, it's just poorly written software.

I think ill just gonna have to run AR through wine...
have Anyone tried that?

I did, nothing happened-AR didn't start, and no error messages. Too bad AR didn't make a native linux version-for $20, I'd buy it in a second.

Im very pleased with the behavior of my fc box, and i would like to keep that os, the performance in viewports and render raised about 20% :)... i dont wanna go back to m$

Have you tried Krita that comes with KOffice? I have only looked at it briefly, but it doesn't sem too bad.

Now if only Painter IX.5 for linux was for sale... :-)

anthonyh
12-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi, I've been using Painter 5 in linux for a few years although just as a hobby and not with version IX.

It works well using vanilla Wine (although not Codeweavers or Transgaming versions for some reason).

Modest output (all in linux) below:

www.anthonyh.dircon.co.uk/galleries/galleries.htm

I'd buy IX if I could make it work but I only have ever tried demo versions without success. Still 5 works well with my Wacom and is obviously is ahead of Gimp in the painting dept.