PDA

View Full Version : ? Bake Ambient Occlusion across mult. maps?

freeschwag
11-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Howdy.

I'm a newbie to XSI and have a city scene (basically buildings and street props)
which consists of about 20 objects all UV-d.

I'd like to be able to bake Ambient Occlusion to each of their respect textures
according to the scene.

Could anyone suggest the best/fastest process for this?

Thanks for any help. :)

freeschwag
11-05-2006, 09:37 PM
hmmm. So this is either very easy and I just missed it's explanation in the docs,
or not so much and the 40+ people that viewed this topic would like to know how
this could be done as well... :)

Anyhow, I've found XSI's term for this is probably via using 'RenderMap', but I've
still found no direct info on how one can set up the render tree such that it will
bake out the occlusion maps for each seperate object to a file according to their
UV info. Surely the desire to have individual ambient occlusion maps per object is
not a unique thing? Anyone ever run across a script to set up a scene to do this?

Here's a screenie of what my scene looks like:

http://www.imagemule.com/uploads/city_snapF9KS.jpg

So my goal is for each object to have an AO texture that I can then take into
Photoshop and paint on.

Any links to tutorials for what I'm after would be most appreciated.

:)

zen
11-06-2006, 08:32 PM
You shouldnt need to set up the render tree at all. AO pass should be available in the drop down of Rendermap map types (illumination, Albedo, etc.)

For multiple object map, I prefer to have a single rendermap node. Select all the objects you wish to rendermap AO on, and create a group. Then apply a rendermap to the group node. The Rmap should then work accross all objects in the group. This applies to other property nodes as well, including GeoApprox, display, etc.
It will be easier if you have a single UV map per object. Otherwise you may have to go through each object and select the correct one.

freeschwag
11-07-2006, 07:16 AM
Thanks, zen!

Got it figured out with just one object (building) and using Rendermap (had to plug
an ambient occulusion on the surface in the render tree), but your tip about the
groups is exactly what I was hoping for (and more straightforward). All of my objects
have their own UVs, so your suggestion gives me exactly what I need.

Thank you. :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-07-2006, 07:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.