PDA

View Full Version : Vue 6 Pre-Release

Amethon
11-02-2006, 12:30 AM
They're taking orders for pre-releases now! You can actually download it too if you buy it.

Carpenter
11-02-2006, 12:59 AM
There does not appear to be a way for those of us to DL our V6I upgrade who purchased V5I in the last month... non that I can find anyway... hopefully they clear this up soon, I am anxious to give the new version a try.

Rich

Amethon
11-02-2006, 01:16 AM
There does not appear to be a way for those of us to DL our V6I upgrade who purchased V5I in the last month... non that I can find anyway... hopefully they clear this up soon, I am anxious to give the new version a try.

Rich

I saw where there was a bunch of menus that showed the different levels: first was the full version, then there was June 2006 purchase, then July 2006, then everyone else who owned a previous version. The menus started out collapsed except for the full price version.

IvanB
11-02-2006, 01:26 AM
How do you download the pre release if you dont live in the usa or canada...You have to fill in the required fields, but there is no Australia...more importantly its for download..not shipping...SO disapointed.

Amethon
11-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Don't know, because I live in the US. These are pre-releases, which in my mind means it has not been finalized... so no disc. And from what I read, the upgrade price will be $399, it's $249 right now. I prefer the discount to the disc. :)

arry
11-02-2006, 01:46 AM
There does not appear to be a way for those of us to DL our V6I upgrade who purchased V5I in the last month... non that I can find anyway...
Rich, there does seem to be a link but you have to dig a bit to get to it. It's listed about 3/4's of the way down in the newsletter:

" Customers eligible for the late buyer or free upgrade offers, please head to www.e-onsoftware.com/products/special_upgrades.php (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/special_upgrades.php) for important information on how to order your special upgrade."

Once there, you'll need to log in and then return to the same link I listed above. Scroll down to the product or products you are upgrading and click the "buy" icon. From there it will take you through a series of windows where you'll choose the free download version and then enter your order # from your qualifying purchase. Remember it's the order #, not the serial #. Thankfully, a sales rep told me about this when I purchased V5I so I kept it handy.

I'm not done finishing the process myself so can't yet say how smooth this goes. I believe they have to review your order number and then get back to you with a download link. Hope this helps.

~arry

IvanB
11-02-2006, 01:50 AM
Actually I checked my account with e-on, and it says that its validating payment..so hopefully i'll get a link to download..

Here is the history of your orders and their current status:
(click on each order for further details)
https://secure.e-onsoftware.com/t.gif
DateOrder SummaryStatus
Nov 01, 20061 Vue 6 Infinite - Download - Free Upgrade (Windows, English)Validating payment
Aug 11, 20061 Vue 5 Infinite - Download Version (Windows, English)
Shipped

I'm very confused about xstream...I was told by the support service that it will cost $349 for sidegrade..but it looks like its $549..all the other sidegrade require vue5 serial and xstream serial..I dont have xstream serial...LOL so confused!

lets wait and see...
Thanks for your reply...I know your not e-on, but atleast someone is listening..
Thanks
Ivan.

arry
11-02-2006, 01:54 AM
Update:

I completed the online process and it *did* ask for my V5I serial# so scratch that part about having your order# handy. Apologies for the confusion. Unless they ask for it later once they review your order?

Carpenter
11-02-2006, 01:55 AM
Thanks guys, yea you have to really look for the link... Hopefully they can confirm me soon, but at least I am in the que.

OT, they have a special on MatchMover ProHD for 149.00 that was just too good an offer to refuse, they say a one time purchase offer, so I bit the bullet and made the purchase.

Rich

Amethon
11-02-2006, 02:01 AM
Mine says validating payment too... but it gives a key in the invoice. Which doesn't work. Thanks guys...

Michael32766
11-02-2006, 06:49 AM
Checking back in an old June 2006 Vue Newsletter:
"Vue 5 xStream retails at $495"

So the email I just got has:
Vue 6 xStream - Download - Nodelocked License $895
$845
Vue 6 xStream - Download - Sidegrade from Vue 5 Infinite $599 $549
What the heck is a is "Sidegrade"?

And does that $845 include ALL the plugins for Maya, max, XSI, Lightwave, C4D??
I mean can you export to any of those programs with just one copy of Xstream?

What do the people that bought the Lightwave 9/Vue bundle quailfy for?

thanks, Mike

Michael32766
11-02-2006, 06:59 AM
well one small part that may help:
Vue 5 Infinite Sidegrade:
(Windows only) Your Vue 5 Infinite serial will be required during the order process.
File size is approximately 1.3 GB.

This is a pre-release version of Vue 6 xStream that only includes the core application. The integration plug-ins will be shipped later.

????? The plugins will be shiped later??? how much later and what's the point of the software if it dosen't have the required plugins?

IvanB
11-02-2006, 07:33 AM
I posted a message at the e-on forum where the e-on people are answering questions (and plenty of them!!!)...I asked if the xstream 6 was still $349,

Indeed, the upgrade from Vue 6 Infinite to Vue 6 xStream is $349. This product is not in the store yet.

Best regards.

I think thats what they mean by no intergration plugins..just vue 6.

I pre ordered my vue6 and matchmover, 5 hours ago..still no link..just conformation emails.

Here's a stupid question..Does vue6 come out with 5 free nodes..like vue5?

If you want to know more about vue6, theres a heap more info..

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/vue/
Ivan.

Michael32766
11-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply Ivan.
So is Vue6 Xstream a seprate addition to Vu6 infinite, or a special Intergated version of Vue6?

In a nutshell I have Vue5 infinte.
Which one do I get:
Vue5 to Vue6 infinite upgrade = $249
or Vue 5 to Vue 6 Xstream = $549
or get the Vue 6 Infinite to Vue 6 xStream = $349
Wich is Not listed anywhwere yet

gezz my head hurts, I need a beer and and asprin. :)

IvanB
11-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Mine TOO,http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

How many times can a person check there email for a download link in a day..I ask you..LOL,

You pose some good questions..The $349 is in the old vue6 price list..

Xstream Sidegrade from Vue 6 Pricing

Sidegrade from Vue 6 Infinite $349

This question has been asked a lot....It might be a good idea to go to the e-on forum, and have a bit of a read..also in the support section.

Vue5 to vue 6 to vue xstream..thats what im doing..or have done..I bought vue5 for $579..free vue6 (special offer) and then $349 for xstream when it comes out. Pretty much the same if you bought Vue6Xstream full.

It looks cheaper for you to buy vue6 xstream, from my calculations,

Vue5 to Vue6 infinite upgrade = $249 + Vue 6 Infinite to Vue 6 xStream = $349= $598
Vue 5 to Vue 6 Xstream = $549..Who knows what they'll change!

You dont qualify for any specials do you?

Man, I hope thats helped...off to check email.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif
Ivan.

CorDox
11-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Ugh, I just tried ordering the pre-release upgrade from vue5i and after entering payment information the connection stalled, now their site is coming up with mysql errors in all the wrong places.

Make sure the site is working before you order, heh..

Just noticed the same problem at www.cornucopia3d.com (http://www.cornucopia3d.com) as well.. hmm

meshman
11-02-2006, 10:33 AM
I dont have vue at all but im thinking of buying xstream for maya but i what exactly is xstream is it vue infinite and a connection to maya. Before it was called xstream bundle but not anymore?

CorDox
11-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Meshman: You can use Xstream just like Inifinite as a stand alone, or you can work with Vue terrains/features directly in your Maya viewport and add Vue objects to your Maya scene.

Read more about it here: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_6_xstream/?page=1

Note that in this pre-release, the plugins for max/maya/etc are apparently not working yet, so you would only be able to use the stand alone program until they release the plugins, You could still export data from Vue and import into Maya I believe, with the exception of ecosystems.

meshman
11-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks. another thing im wondering about and did not find is the different options for rendering when i read about it now i dont seem to find any options for the difrrent renderers like Mantalray and maya software in the xstream ordering options? Is that a later question maybe when they release the final xstream connection?

Maybe its hidden somewhere clever on the site :-)

Cheers
Peter

IvanB
11-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Hey meshman,

I made a video, showing how xstream works with Lightwave..Maybe you can check that out to give you an idea.

http://www.esnips.com/web/xStream-Examples

10 hours later, and my order has been processed..In my user account I got my invoice with the vue6 and matchmaker serials...BUT no download link...HEHEEEEEEEEE...I'm going nuts!

Amethon
11-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey meshman,

I made a video, showing how xstream works with Lightwave..Maybe you can check that out to give you an idea.

http://www.esnips.com/web/xStream-Examples

10 hours later, and my order has been processed..In my user account I got my invoice with the vue6 and matchmaker serials...BUT no download link...HEHEEEEEEEEE...I'm going nuts!

I hope it works for you, as a couple people (myself included) on the e-on forums say they are giving out bum keys. Only one digit is wrong! I'm so mad. :(

CorDox
11-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Meshman: On the site they mention: xStream for Maya works with both Mental Ray and Maya software renderer. I can't vouch for it because I'm only using Infinite, Good luck.

IvanB
11-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Hey Akhiris,

Thanks for that!!
It kinda doesnt matter at this stage..cos I have no download link..http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon9.gif But it will!

Whats the solution?..Do you just wait for everything to settle down over the next few days...Or start breaking e-on chops!

I actually though they give you the serial by email, after you have downloaded..

I have never seen so much activity in the vue forums..its expected, and I'm glad, atleast we have people to get info from.

Also..Do we get 5 free nodes for hyperview in vue6?..anyone?..anyone?....

Thanks
Ivan.

CorDox
11-02-2006, 11:36 AM
IvanB: I got my download link on step 6 of 7 of the ordering process, It had a small downloader app that connects to E-on to download the actual program, and an extra's CD file.. I haven't recieved download links in any other form yet. I found my serial on a link to a printer friendly invoice on Order step 7 of 7.

IvanB
11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Oh..OK,

My serial is also from the invoice, how do I get the downloader thingy?.....OH NO!

What now?http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

meshman
11-02-2006, 11:51 AM
thanks for the link Ivan B now i know how the xstream is used, well not exactly how i use it but the general concept...

CorDox
11-02-2006, 12:00 PM
IvanB: keep checking your e-mail, they finally sent me e-mail with download links as well. I think their server is bogged down.. taking along time to download :)

IvanB
11-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Just got my links via email...with the serials...off to download!

I think thats normal..when I downloaded vu5, I think it took a couple of hours for 500mb.

Thanks everybody...I was good to have someone to share this with.

Hey Meshaman...Thats cool...It works prett good with Lightwave.

Thanks again.
Ivan.

EDIT:The downloads going to take another 10 hours...HEHEEEEEEEEEE!

artzfx
11-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Unfortunately can't even get into the online shop now to place an order... must be popular. Knew I should have done it earlier today :sad: when it was first published. Guess I will try again tomorrow. :)

the-negative
11-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Yay- 180 bucks for an 2-step upgrade!
I'm kinda glad I didn't shell 80 bucks to step up to V5I. :)

stevecullum
11-02-2006, 06:25 PM
The whole e-on site seems to have gone down now :(

arry
11-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Apparently this message is now posted at e-on's forums. I haven't yet seen it; I saw it posted elsewhere:

"Wow! We had anticipated a flood of visits, but not this tsunami! Despite multiplying by 5 our server power in preparation of the pre-release, our servers are currently completely saturated with connections. We are doing our very best to resolve this situation, but the level of traffic is simply daunting...

Some people seem to think that if their first 25 orders of the free upgrade were not accepted, maybe the 26th will be. That's not going to happen, but it's killing our servers a little more each time... Please help us by not placing multiple orders of the free upgrade.

Thank you for your kind understanding and patience while we resolve this situation. Everybody will get his product. Thank you.

Best regards. "

So I guess it's back to striving for patience young padawan. Gah. This is indeed so frustrating, especially after viewing some of the images people have been posting of their early renders.

Time for some slow, deep breaths methinks. ;-]

arry
11-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I finally received my validation and download link so off I go.
To those of you still waiting, hang in there & I hope it happens for you soon!

IvanB
11-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Just to let you know,

I started downloading last night at 11:30 pm, its now 9 am and part 1 of 2 just finished.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon9.gif

The second link (content cd) is a vue 6 caustic scene 10mb...its pretty quick, and if you got matchmover, thats also about 1 1/2 hours to download 100mb.

I so hope its quicker for other!

lets see 10 hours for validation and about 20 hours for download...its a bit full on...GOOD LUCK!

arry
11-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Yeah, the download is deadly slow. I have a feeling it's going to be well into the night before mine's done. I've seen the reports about this, including DSL downloads like mine. They are all reporting excruciatingly slow times.

Best to busy myself with other things for the next 10 hours or so....

IvanB
11-02-2006, 10:32 PM
If your lucky...Sunday's looking good!...LOL,

Sorry, but it crazy!...I'm also getting notification about viruses...Whats that about?...You Know..I hope after the 20 hour download, that it actually works..It would really suck if you had to do it again...http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon9.gif..Part 2 is at 9%..wooooohoooo only 91% to go!..yipeeeee..LOL.

Some of the images look really good (Renderosity forum)..But I still cant get an answer on wether or not you get 5 free render nodes..Man i've asked the question so many times..Can someone just make up the answer, even if its not true!

One other thing...Do you install vue6 over vue5, or is it a new fresh install?..Should I remove Vue5?

Thanks.

Carpenter
11-02-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm at 8% in about an hour... the dl link is only good for 5 days according to the email, I hope I get it before than. :D

Rich

Amethon
11-02-2006, 11:14 PM
There seems to be a problem with the Extras CD... I only got a zip file with one Vue scene in it, 2.8meg. Others on the e-on forums are having this problem too. :|

AFAIK if you have Vue Infinite you get 5 render cows to use included with the program. It's that way for Vue 5...

IvanB
11-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Thats it!..one scene file.....thats all I got.

(27% now..getting closer..part 2 of the download is slightly quicker...slightly!...sofar 2 hours to get 27%..oh no its just jumped to 28%...LOL)

Amethon
11-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Wow, I finally got my key problem solved by some nice people on the e-on boards.

Copy and paste the entire key from the email (Including the vue6inf at the beginning), and paste it into the first empty slot in the key field, and it works.

That it one big bug in the installer!

arry
11-03-2006, 12:51 AM
If your lucky...Sunday's looking good!...LOL,/
Great......just great. C'mere ya little stinker. ;-P
What doesn't make me happy is reading at e-on's forums some peops saying after umpteen hours to download, they are getting a "this file is corrupt" error. Yegods I hope this doesn't happen to me.

One other thing...Do you install vue6 over vue5, or is it a new fresh install?..Should I remove Vue5?
From Monsoon, the Vue moderator at 3DCommune (who already has V6I installed the lucky devil) when asked if V6I overwrites Vue 5 or does it install as a separate programme?"

" No...it leaves V5 intact and installs into it's own folder."

IvanB
11-03-2006, 01:04 AM
" No...it leaves V5 intact and installs into it's own folder."

Thanks for that....

After 12 hour downloading..looks like its frozen at 32%...http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon8.gif..What do you think, If I start again, will it resume from where it finished or start all over again...This is crap...good one e-on!

Amethon
11-03-2006, 01:09 AM
This reminds me of when e frontier gave away Poser 5 for free. They were slammed for days.

IvanB
11-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Sorry me again..

It timed out and stopped!!...HEHE...anyway I launched the downloader and it continues on from where it left off..

So are you using Vue6 ATM?

Amethon
11-03-2006, 01:29 AM
You'll get it eventually...

I'm hoping they fix the problem with the extra cd content zip file, because I'm missing a bunch of stuff now.

PS: they made the interface all ugly now! What the heck!

IvanB
11-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Akhiris,
If you get a chance...Can you tell me if the 5 free nodes are available..Please...Sorry I know I keep asking but im not getting an answer...
What stuff are you missing?

Amethon
11-03-2006, 01:42 AM
The five HyperVue things still seem to be there. I installed Render Cow but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but e-on says they are the same.

It has a RenderBull? option as well, but I don't have a key for it so I don't know what that is supposed to do.

I'm missing the entire ExtrasCd.zip... Mine came down as a 2.8meg file. Others on the e-on forums say it is supposed to be a few hundred meg.

arry
11-03-2006, 01:49 AM
It timed out and stopped!!...HEHE...anyway I launched the downloader and it continues on from where it left off..
You were lucky. Mine timed out & when I resumed, it started all over. At least it appeared that way.

So are you using Vue6 ATM?
Neither. I know I'll probably get slammed here for saying this, but I come from a Bryce background. I've been using it for several years. I have Vue 4, but never gave it a chance. I opened it and the four op window threw me for a loop so I ran for my life. The same thing happened with my copy of C4D. This time, I plan on sticking with it if it kills me. In order for me to take my renders to the next level, I need to get through this. V6I will be an upgrade from V5I which I recently bought so I could get the V6I update for free. Rather then begin with V5I since I knew V6I was due out soon, I decided to wait and begin my learning with V6I.

*donning teflon suit & waiting for the Bryce tomatoes to hit*

;-)

Amethon
11-03-2006, 01:51 AM
What's wrong with Bryce? I got Bryce 6 for $6. Can't pass that up!

I used to use Vista Pro a long time ago. Does anyone remember that program? It made the ugliest stuff!

IvanB
11-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Thanks for that..finally an answer..I can rest easy..

if you want to find out more about vue6, thay have an extremely detailed description with images and small clips.
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/vue/

The link seems down ATM...but I checked it out yesturday and its awsome!

Kevin Sanderson
11-03-2006, 02:43 AM
Hey Allison, No Bryce tomatoes from me...folks gotta start somehwere! You'll get used to the interface once you start playing. I know people who have compared it to Bryce in the past as they shared some similarities in the way things were layed out, but Vue is more a cross between a Mac and a Windows app these days. Poser is still more Bryce like in the way it looks.

Karen, I still have Vista Pro along with a whole bunch of old software from the mid 90s. Haven't touched it in years. It was so frustrating because my computers back then never could seem to render out anything...it would take forever and I didn't have time to figure it out. I knew one other guy who had it and he had some pretty good luck with it. I think it's still around (I think I've seen it recently at 3dcommune) but I have no idea if it's been improved.

I've been fiddling with moderate success in Vue for a few years now, never experiencing problems others have had, but maybe also because I work slower and haven't pushed it to its limits (I also try to have a stable computer setup). I'm waiting for the massive downloading to dwindle at e-on and then I'll get 6. I can tell the load is still high because things that usually download quick (full pictures, example animations, etc.) are taking way too long. When they're back to normal, I figure I'll be safe to try the massive downloads.

Ivan, I think a lot of people never use the render cows so that's probably why nobody would say until now. Sad but probably true. In the past I've seen much confusion on how to get them to work, but they always have for me. I think part of it is the problem of setting up a network of PCs. I've always had better luck using the Microsoft networking and it's a breeze to setup in XP. Glad to see they're still there. I wouldn't think they'd take them out as it wouldn't be Infinite anymore. Reminds of the guy who was afraid they would take out Poser support (they didn't) because he only saw it mentioned in a lesser version of Vue. e-on has always had their top line products carry everything. BTW, I saw that Vue 6i can handle more Poser characters with ease than 5i ever could...up to 10 according to one post I read and many more if you're running Windows 64 and have plenty of memory.

IvanB
11-03-2006, 03:29 AM
Hey Kevin,

I was confident that the cows would be there..I have a farm setup for Vue5 and its a breeze to work with, never had a problem..I guess a lot of people wouldn't be checking that bit of the program just yet.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gif i'm sure theres better things to play with..feeling better now.

Arry, apparently if you restart your download again, BUT save to the exact same location as before..it should continue on...anyway..still waiting..56% now (11pm last night to 2:15pm today..sofar, whats that 15 hours....44% to go!)...

Dont worry about not getting your head around software..I use Lightwave,vue, photoshop and a few others, but for the life of me, just cant work Poser...Ive only ever coverted buildings (Dystopia) in poser to use in vue..and that took me ages. Now I have to learn Vue6!

Ivan.

arry
11-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Thanks for not covering me in tomatoes. I lurked here for quite a long while before ever posting after reading members posts concerning Bryce & Poser.

You do have to begin some where and for me that was Bryce 5. I remember looking at gallery pictures at R'osity and loved what certain Bryce users were creating. Since I couldn't afford higher end apps (still can't lol), or they didn't run on my platform (Mac), I went with Bryce. I think I paid around $350 for it back then. For me, it's been a great learning tool and introduction into the world of creating in 3D. Among other things, it helped me learn about composition, creating a mood, procedural textures and further explore my fascination with lighting. From there, I was offered a free copy of Poser 5 in exchange for writing a Mac OS X review for Curious Labs. I usually export my Poser figures into Bryce and render from there. I know there are those here who don't feel you've created art if you don't manufacture everything from scratch. I can't model my way out of a hole in a bag. Some day I'll give modeling a try, but I have other things I'd like to learn first.

In the meantime, I have C4D 9 to learn, as well as xfrog, Painter IX and now V6I. That's enough investment of my hard earned money to keep me busy for quite a spell methinks.

Ivan - I thoroughly scoured e-on's site watching every movie, reading every tid-bit and various forums and viewed several galleries images before I decided to buy. I'm not rich, so I try to make my purchase decisions carefully. But I do appreciate you pointing out the link. ;-)

Since I mainly create landscape fantasy/scenes, Vue seemed the logical next step for me. If I can ever get this download to complete (it just stalled a 2nd time so I'm on my 3rd try), I'll hopefully discover if this will be a good marriage for me.

I frequent various forums because I want to learn. I've come as far as I can utilizing a lot of smoke & mirrors. In order for me to proceed, I need to take the next step. After haunting the halls of CGTalk for as long as I did before registering, I felt this place would offer me another good place to learn & advance my current skills.

arry
11-03-2006, 03:36 AM
Sorry - crossing posts with Ivan...

Dont worry about not getting your head around software..
LOL Ivan. I'll try not to. I'm my own worst enemy, especially when I get impatient. It's weird. I take quite awhile to develop and create my renders so there, patience isn't a problem. But when it comes to actually learning a new program......that's an entirely different scenario.

As for my download, I keep saving it to the same place (my applications folder) and it keeps starting over. Maybe it's a Mac thing? I don't know. But I do know it's frustrating as all get out.

IvanB
11-03-2006, 03:37 AM
I got a heap of video tutes on vue5..bit useless now, but there might be something in there that could help with learning vue6.

VueVideos (http://www.esnips.com/UserProfileAction.ns?id=40dacfe2-91ce-475f-84e5-1805f766e6b9)

Ivan.

I used to use Vista Pro a long time ago. Does anyone remember that program? It made the ugliest stuff!

Cant stop laughing!http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

arry
11-03-2006, 05:09 AM
Hey Ivan, thanks for the link. I've already got it bookmarked and will definitely check it out if I ever get this thing downloaded. I'm on restart #4 now!

Carpenter
11-03-2006, 08:48 AM
I started with Bryce 1... way back :D Started using MojoWorld a couple of years back... I got the urge to animate my worlds with wind, water and sky though, Mojo is limited in that, so I bought Vue5I in Sept, it is a wonderful program. There is a lot of flexibility in it over MojoWorld. As I slowly venture forward with it I am constantly amazed by how easy it is to create real looking worlds, worlds with beauttful movings skys, natural looking water, gentle breezes blowing thru the trees and grass :D Just a simple pan thru a scene like that keeps me smiling for hours hehehe.

On my sexond attempt now, it seems to be going faster, I'll be heading to work in another hour or so, if it isn't on my computer when I get back, I'll just sit it out for a couple more days till everything cools down some.

Rich

Amethon
11-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks for not covering me in tomatoes. I lurked here for quite a long while before ever posting after reading members posts concerning Bryce & Poser.

Do people still complain about Poser? I use it in conjuction with Vue all the time, I can't afford Maya or 3D Studio Max and I'm not so interested in modeling, only making scenes...

IvanB
11-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Well..I got it!,

I had heart pelputations at 98%..hoping it would work..Its awsome you'll love it..Its crashed about three or four times on me...The images look real!..I would have posted something but the vue camera has gone nuts, cant work it out!..Painting is awsome!

Just thought I'd let you know, as we all spent so much time waiting together...Oh it took 21 hours to download and its only just over 500mb...The content, which I dont have is suppose to be 370mb. (theres another 15 hours...Not this time!)

Ivan.

Here we go..heres an image..took about a minute to make and rendered in 2 1/2 mins.

Oluf
11-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Oh my, that is amazing Ivan. I just got cut off at 96%, and I'm trying to reconnect but no luck yet :) I just CAN'T wait to get my hands on this!

arry
11-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Wow Ivan. That does indeed look cool and CONGRATS!!! on finally achieving a successful download! I am pea green with envy.

I pray I don't get a "corrupt file" file message after waiting this long. Had I not restarted the downloader so many times, I might have it installed now. It wasn't until last night I read on e-on's forums Macs are reporting the downloader as stalled but not to quit the application because it *is* actually downloading. GACK. Had I known this in advance, obviously I wouldn't have restarted so many times.

12 hours since my last re-download start, about 70% done. Wheeee!!!

Gitch
11-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Is anybody having trouble downloading besides me. Must be the server is busy, hopefully I can get it before the five days are up..

arry
11-03-2006, 06:02 PM
No Gitch, you aren't alone. Go read the replies over at e-on's forums. (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/support/Forum/index.php?st=1162576744) Due to their server load, it may take awhile for the forums to load. Be patient and eventually it will load. Then you can read for yourself.

Yesterday, e-on rep steve Bell (sbell) was replying in the forums. So far today, I haven't seen one reply in response to all the trouble people are having. This leads me to believe e-on is swamped beyond belief in the "tsunami" of excited people trying to get a successful download. I guess all we can do is wait and see if e-on responds, gets this fixed and hopefully extends the download time for everyone.

Gitch
11-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks Allison.
To bad they don't have other download sites or FTP to choose from. I would be suprised if I get this in 5 days as they suggest from the email. I will see. From the post on there site today looks like it is going to be awhile. Some guy said he had 2 days left.. Mercy Me!!

Abraham
11-03-2006, 07:41 PM
No worry Gitch, same here, wasn't even able to download the download app yet, always getting a message telling me the page doesn't exist.
I would have no problem waiting a couple of days for my download even if I am quiet impatient to put my greedy hands on this toy but I would like to be sure they will at least reset the counter so that's at least possible downloding it :)

J-L

stevecullum
11-03-2006, 07:47 PM
I got the same problem here. I have the download app, but I cant connect to the server at all. If I were e-on I would automatically extend the 5 days, before they get another tsunami of people complaining their time has run out...

Abraham
11-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Well, I guess they will do that anyway, it would really look bad for any company to tell paying customers "It wasn't possible for us to provide you the product you paid for but now it's too late, sorry for you :shrug:"
In fact, I don't blame e-on at all, they certainly didn't expect such a success and it's really nice for them (and for us, I guess the more success, the more they will be willing and able to invest in more devlopement and improvment for the tool. I just hope they manage to find a solution to get more bandwidth :)

J-L

arry
11-03-2006, 07:55 PM
You're welcome, Gitch. Sharing info helps since we're all in this rocky boat together.

I did read on e-on's forums where a member posted that Steve Bell did say they would extend the download times. Where this person received his info, I couldn't say. I'm not sure if this will be on a case by case basis or ??? Regardless, I do hope e-on will extend the download timeframe to help out people who weren't able to get a successful download. IMO, it's the least they can do after so many snafus such as server overload, serial# input problems, timeouts, bad download links and corrupt file messages after waiting so long for a successful download.

Hopefully e-on has learned from this situation & will take steps to correct things before V6I's final release. As a new Vue user this has left me feeling less then impressed and not very secure. I'm trying to be understanding and patient, but it is extremely frustrating.

stevecullum
11-03-2006, 08:15 PM
I just posted an official request to extend my downloads beyond 5 days to their tech support, so hopefully they will oblige without problems.

Bummer though the rubbish bandwidth, I was hoping to have a play over the weekend :(

Gitch
11-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I see where one person downloaded the extracd portion and got the whole thing downloaded and the file was corrupt so they are going to have to do something. Man ough man I guess they did not expect this much chaos. I bet they will be burning the midnight hour.

arry
11-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Man ough man I guess they did not expect this much chaos. I bet they will be burning the midnight hour.
Personally I am convinced they all must be drinking like mad fish at this point. ;-]

Abraham
11-03-2006, 08:21 PM
What worries me the most is not being able to get at least the downloading app :(

Anyway, to celebrate their success, it would be nice if they offered to each early customers a little plant or treey bundle for free :love: . I know we already got a rebate but, some people will need pretty intensive medical care after all this, maybe years of psy consulting :P

J-L

arry
11-03-2006, 08:36 PM
95% done downloading part 2 of the V6I application.
I'm afraid to breathe in fear I'll get that "file is corrupt" error.

The suspense is killing me.

Abraham
11-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Crossing fingers for you Arry :)

J-L

artzfx
11-03-2006, 08:57 PM
I finally got in to purchase yesterday and my purchase is approved in my my e-on account, however no download links. Can I ask how long before your download links were emailed to you please?

Abraham
11-03-2006, 08:59 PM
For my part, I got them about 3 hours after my order (paypal). So, I guess once you're approved it should be almost instantaneous, now probably depends on how overloaded the mail server is :(

J-L

Amethon
11-03-2006, 08:59 PM
It took them a few hours before they verified the order and mailed the links to me. They seem to be validating the orders manually.

Abraham
11-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Lol, the worst part is, you can't register Vue 6 now and since you can't access the forum without being a registered customer, it means new customers can't access the forum at all and cannot get any infos about the prgress made :(

And since they probably don't have time answering mails (easy to understand) and the week end is here ....

Lol, I do hope they find a solution to avoid some people not getting their purchase at all :)

J-L

Amethon
11-03-2006, 09:25 PM
From sbell on the e-on forums:

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/t.gif
We are trying out best to resolve the issues as they come. Our servers have litteraly fried, and this can cause *a lot* of mess, believe me.

Yes, we made a mistake in assuming that ramping up server power by 5 would be enough for the onslaught. Obviously, we were very wrong, and we apologize for all the confusion this has caused. We're adding more server power as we speak, but it takes time to sort these things out.

Rest assured that you will all get your products. We will renew your download windows should they expire before you complete your downloads. If your downoad is very slow, you should consider stopping it and restarting from scratch.

Again, we apologize for all the problems.

Best regards.

arry
11-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Crossing fingers for you Arry :)
Hey thanks, Abraham! I think your crossed fingers worked some mojo magic. I didn't get the corrupt file message and have V6I installed. Whoohoo!!! Now off to try dl'ing the ExtrasCD. From what I've read, this one will be a challenge.

To everyone still waiting, hang in there. I do feel your pain and hope it happens for you soon!

Looking forward to learning V6I with everyone. ;-)

Abraham
11-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Thank you for the update Akhiris :)
I don't doubt they do their best and they most certainly didn't expect such a rush and with so many people haveing huge pipes now, even the non professional users, it's probably very easy to see your bandwidth totally killed.
Not the first time it happens (saw that with Poser 6 too), probably not the last one either.

If someone from e-on read that : Not angry at all, instead, very happy for your success, when the rush is over, celebrate, if you had such a success, it's probably you did a fine job producing this tool :)

J-L

Good news Arry, now have fun and show us soon some beautiful images :)

Solomon
11-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi guys,

the old blue Vue 5 color scheme is still there, for those that preferred it that way.

Go to Display and select Interface colors at the very bottom of the menu - then switch the Interface model to Vue 5 blue

you can also customize your own color model.

Amethon
11-03-2006, 09:45 PM
I think it's a situation that is doomed to repeat itself! I saw Content Paradise slammed with the release of Poser 5 for free, and when Poser 7 is available for download... it will happen again. Nobody is able to predict how many people will want it immediately!

Now if I could only get the Extras CD! I've been trying for a couple of days now and I still get the 2 meg file.

Amethon
11-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Hi guys,

the old blue Vue 5 color scheme is still there, for those that preferred it that way.

Go to Display and select Interface colors at the very bottom of the menu - then switch the Interface model to Vue 5 blue

you can also customize your own color model.

Oh thank God.

Also: I did some digging and it seems AsileFX has some new tutorials on Vue 6 already!

http://www.asilefx.com/product.php?ProductCategoryID=27&ProductID=51

Solomon
11-03-2006, 09:53 PM
what build are you guys using - is it 288077?

Amethon
11-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Build 288166

artzfx
11-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info Abraham.

Oh thank God.

Also: I did some digging and it seems AsileFX has some new tutorials on Vue 6 already!

http://www.asilefx.com/product.php?ProductCategoryID=27&ProductID=51

That's annoying.. I ordered the Vue 6 DVD as part of my Vue 6 order, now AsileFX this DVD bundled with extras. I checked their site prior to ordering too.

stevecullum
11-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Still trying to get my download started...still connection to the servers timing out. :sad:

arry
11-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Good news Arry, now have fun and show us soon some beautiful images :)
LOL, Abraham. I have to learn the program first. :P
I'm already looking into Asile's and Gnomon's Vue training CD's to see if I can afford one or two.

Abraham, I can't believe I'm doing this but if you're a member of R'osity, will a Bryce/Poser render do for now?
I created Tree Spirits (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1061284) for a friend a year ago. I see all kinds of things I'd fix if I were to re-render that image now, but am showing it only so you can see why I think Vue will be a good marriage for my type of images.

Abraham
11-03-2006, 10:14 PM
I know it will probably not really cheer you up stevecullum, but I still didn't even manage to get the download app so ....
I doubt we will play with Vue this week end :)

J-L

Amethon
11-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Arry, that's a really nice picture on Renderosity.

Abraham
11-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Very, very nice image Arry :) Seeing what you can do with Bryce, I have no doubt you will soon make wonderful things in Vue too (in fact probably a lot faster than I will :)

I wish I could help you with some advice about the DVDs, but after what I just spent for Vue xStream, I'm affraid I will have to learn it by exploring (it usually works pretty well, happily :) ) Damn, money, it flows away much faster than we manage to earn it.

J-L

Solomon
11-03-2006, 10:27 PM
arry,

I can tell you this, you are going to love Vue 6 - because now you can even animate a scene like that to have the trees waving in the wind, the grass blowing, essentially bringing it to life.

Wish you a good journey into the realm of infinite views :) - er Vue :)

arry
11-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks so much everyone. I really was nervous to post that link so you definitely made me feel better. As I've said earlier, I am aware of how some here feel about Poser and Bryce so it's nice to read your comments. Not every Poser user creates NVIATWAS (naked vicki in a temple with a sword) pics.

Your feedback will encourage me to continue learning. :)

As for what build I have, mine says:
Version 6.00-04
Build 288166

Abraham
11-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Arry, since you know me, it will probably not really reassure you to hear that from me, but Poser is a tool, and a tool is nothing more or nothing less than what you do with it. Who care if Rembrandt van Rijn used the tail of a cow or the most precious brush avaiable . The only thing that really matter is his light, his composition, his choice of color.
I won't name him but a very respected artist on CG Talk (one I admire too btw) make models for Daz (and very good ones indeed)
And if for any reason it was useful to their pipline, even ILM would use poser (and poser would suddenly appear "respectable")

J-L

dprgb
11-04-2006, 12:14 AM
It's too bad they couldn't distribute it over bittorrent or something.

Kevin Sanderson
11-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Allison, Great work! I've been trying to figure out where I'd seen the girl before...now I know!

In the e-on forum here, you are a bit safer. A few people are more brutal in other forums, but they tend to be modeling mavens who blindly despise Poser. Most of the nasty folks don't hang long though, so don't worry. Just ignore them.

Abraham, you are correct. ILM using Vue upped it's rep in a hurry and silenced many idiot whiners who post in the forums. Especially after they saw what ILM did with it. Poser 7 finally using a much improved - way overdue - undo function and improved rendering will ramp up some respect for it. Poser's been used for some time now at major newspapers, magazines and TV network news shows. I bet Lucas and or Spielberg will put it to use (if they don't already). There is after all a pipeline of sorts since Vue and Poser play much better together these days.

BTW, here, you'll get less static about Poser if you specify what you used ...models, bought parts, modifications, etc. That prevents the bashers from trying to "accuse" you of "ripping off" others, ignoring that good money was often spent and many artists are doing better selling to the Poser community than others still trying to break into ILM.

arry
11-04-2006, 03:23 AM
Kevin, Abraham? I know you two? Who are you guys at other forums? http://smileys.75thtrombone.com/suspicious.gif

I agree with both of you how much it helps an application gain respect when being used by a known quantity. It never will to everyone, but I do think it helps. I remember a Poser forum suggestion thread here awhile back where it got a bit heated. After I mentioned its use at Rhythm & Hues (where I was offered a copy but declined), that thread seemed to die a quick death. I think someone posted that a certain person at R&H had something to do with Poser's creation in its early days.

Personally, I don't care if someone used purchased models, textures, built their scene from scratch or painted it from a zero canvas. If the image moves me or causes me to take pause and think about something in a way I never before considered - then to me it is art. I've always believed it's in the hands of the user. No one will ever change my mind on that. But it is good to know it's considered safer here in the Vue forum. I'd like a chance to learn from all of you.

Stephen, thanks as well for the tip about listing what was used in your scene. I'll try and remember to do so here, but I usually do credit the artists who's models, etc., helped me realize a scene when posting in the various galleries.

Solomon - when I'm ready to try animation in Vue, I'll know who to come and ask for help and tips. ;-) btw - I checked out your site and very much liked your drawings. I envy your ability to draw so well. Please make more!

IvanB
11-04-2006, 03:23 AM
Hi All.

I didn't read all the posts..so sorry if someone has already mention this!

Just thought I'd let you know..If you didn't, or cant get the content cd...Just copy your objects folder from Vue5 (if you have it) and paste it over the vue6 objects folder...Atleast you'll have the objects to use.

I also thinking of doing a complete new installation...Do I have to register Vue6 again, or just use my current activation key?..

Ivan.

Amethon
11-04-2006, 03:40 AM
Hi All.

I didn't read all the posts..so sorry if someone has already mention this!

Just thought I'd let you know..If you didn't, or cant get the content cd...Just copy your objects folder from Vue5 (if you have it) and paste it over the vue6 objects folder...Atleast you'll have the objects to use.

I also thinking of doing a complete new installation...Do I have to register Vue6 again, or just use my current activation key?..

Ivan.

I reinstalled Vue 6 and didn't have to register again.

IvanB
11-04-2006, 03:46 AM
Oh man, you are a champion....

What do you think will happen if you do a fresh system installation..The registry gets cleaned out.

Amethon
11-04-2006, 03:48 AM
I don't think that will matter that much. I did that for Vue 5 and it didn't flip out. It's node locked so I think it does a hardware hash of your machine the first time you install it.

What I want to know is what will happen when I buy a new computer.

arry
11-04-2006, 03:53 AM
What I want to know is what will happen when I buy a new computer.
You & me both, Akhiris.
It makes me break out in hives just thinking about it.

IvanB
11-04-2006, 04:33 AM
Im going to put it on my laptop, aparently you are alowed to do this..I hope...I'll let you know what happens.

I have read in the FAQ, that you have to reg it aswell...you can reg up to five times, there after you can still reg but have to contact e-on.

EDIT: I installed it on my laptop and had to activate it, and it worked..In my e-on account there is two activation codes...all seems fine..I think if you buy a new pc, you have to reactivate..or if you do a fresh install you have to activate...I'll confirm it with e-on, as soon as i work out how to send something to them!..most likely support_at_e-on.

Ivan.

arry
11-04-2006, 04:53 AM
I was told by an e-on sales rep when I called with questions before making my decision to purchase, that you can install on a desktop and a laptop. It's when I need to replace my desktop that I'm worried about. I hope e-on will work something out with you when this happens. I've always been able to do so with any of my other software & can't afford to keep buying new licenses.

EDIT - cross posting with Ivan's edit...
Keep us posted, Ivan. I'd be very interested in hearing what e-on has to say.

IvanB
11-04-2006, 05:06 AM
Hi..

cant say i've contacted e-on asyet, but now my desktop is asking for a new activation...so it doesn't work....so #$&% off..http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon8.gif.running it without activation gives you eon logo in the background.

I have sent a message to tech support...lets see what happens..heres the link so you can follow it.

Activation (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/support/ShowMessage.php?id=1162616982&useful=-1)

Ivan.

EDIT: I went to my account and de-registered my product, and now I have re-registered my desktop again..all is well, with ONE pc..no laptop.

Oh before i forget..check this..I installed Matchmover on my laptop and reg'd it while I was waiting for vue6 to download..(God knows I had time)..Now that my vue6 is installed on desktop, I wanted to install MM, but cant..one pc one license.

I have sent email to realviz and am waiting..I asked if i could transfer the license...They got back to me, and said they'll pass it on to thier support..MORE waiting.

Ivan.

digefxgrp
11-04-2006, 06:45 AM
Ivan,

Where exactly at e-on's site did you get your new Activation Code?
After installing the Vue6I upgrade, I'm getting a requestor screen giving me a Product Installation Code plus it also asks for an ACTIVATION Code. The only possible way I see to activate it is using the "Activate Online" button but that workstation isn't connected to the internet. I've scoured e-on's web site for an alternate way to get the Activation Code but have found nothing. Product reg support still ends at Vue5.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks-

Abraham
11-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Still no way to get the downloader :( Seems they fixed some of their problems since CD 2 is coming at a fair speed but no way to get the main app. I think if I had a choice now I would cancel my order damn it :(

J-L

digefxgrp
11-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Well I finally found a solution in obtaining the Activation Code.

I installed a copy of Vue 5 and 6 on my "Internet machine" and was then able to access e-on’s reg site for Vue6 that way. I put in the numbers needed and it spit me out the proper code.

Finally I'm up and running.

IvanB
11-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Hey digefxgrp,

I'm not completely sure as I did it online...The only thing i can think of is copying the code given to you by your pc and emailing that to e-on...OR I think you can go to the web site (e-on, from another pc), and register, from your account...Check your account at e-on.

Other than that..I'm not sure...sorry,

By the way, after i reg'd my desktop again...now both pc, and laptop work...I dont know whats going on!

Hey, Vue6 doesn't mind crashing!.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon8.gif.I dont know if i'll start any projects in a hurry.

Ivan.

IvanB
11-04-2006, 08:27 AM
I dont think you can transfer the activation code to your other pc...SORRY...I hope i'm wrong..The number above activation code must be unique to the pc.

I made a CD cover for vue6...if you want to download it and print it on your CD.

http://www.esnips.com/web/Vue6-CD-Cover-Image

slouchcorp
11-04-2006, 09:40 AM
i think iv got the dumest bug in history, the serial field wont accept certian letters! so i cant install as it wont let me type or past one damn letter out of my serial string into the field, arggggggg thats frustrating.

sits back to wait for techsupport yay

mike

IvanB
11-04-2006, 11:42 AM
I copied the WHOLE serial i got "VUE6INF-XXXXX,,,XXX-12345" try that.

slouchcorp
11-04-2006, 12:02 PM
yeah i got it to work after a while aswell, thanks:)

by the way did you get your matchmover serials seperate? i allso brought that app but didnt recive any info or serials for it...

have to say the whole eon experiance hasnt been much fun sofar lol. least i can play with vue now, *heads back to vueland*

mike

Carpenter
11-04-2006, 12:19 PM
I haven't recieved my MatchMover serials either or any info on how to get them, so I fired off an email to techsupport just a few minutes ago myself. I guess in the whole confussion some things just fell thru the cracks :) I doubt I'll recieve any info back till monday morning, not a big deal for me though, the MM deal was just something I did not want to miss out on Boujou Bullet works just fine for me right now.

Rich

slouchcorp
11-04-2006, 12:21 PM
i sent one off to revis folks they said eon will send the info so waiting game i guess

Mike

Carpenter
11-04-2006, 01:13 PM
I just read this on the E-On forums. Go to your account page and bring up the printable version of your purchase, the MatchMover serial number is on it. I just entered mine and I am now good.

Rich

slouchcorp
11-04-2006, 01:18 PM
legand cheers man!

mike

crpcory
11-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Wow Ivan. That does indeed look cool and CONGRATS!!! on finally achieving a successful download! I am pea green with envy.

I pray I don't get a "corrupt file" file message after waiting this long. Had I not restarted the downloader so many times, I might have it installed now. It wasn't until last night I read on e-on's forums Macs are reporting the downloader as stalled but not to quit the application because it *is* actually downloading. GACK. Had I known this in advance, obviously I wouldn't have restarted so many times.

12 hours since my last re-download start, about 70% done. Wheeee!!!

So is Xstream available for Macs right now? I gather from the ordering pages that only the windows version is available. Can anyone confirm that the Mac version of Vue6 is available now? Thankx

stevecullum
11-04-2006, 01:44 PM
I thought "yay its downloaded, installed, taken my serial - great!"

But now its asking for my Vue 5 Xstream serial and says that is invalid!!

For Fux sake!!! - this whole procedure has really sucked!!!

triztan
11-04-2006, 02:07 PM
i can understand the slow downloads but there are some things i really do not like.

i ordered the matchmover pro 4 hd version too but there is not "clearly" stated that the most export formats are just missing. in fact the link of e-onsoftware's website leads you to the realviz feature site where all the nice things are stated. if they clearly had stated that this version is limited, i would have thought twice about buying it. ok, maybe this can be solved through a custom script to get the matchmover data into xsi anyway.....i hope that there will be such a possibility.

the other thing is that vue 6 xstream is crashing every 3-5 mouseclicks, even while in compatibility mode. i have a decent standardized gfx workstation and hope that at least the final version will perform without that much crashes.

so after the purchase i feel like an alpha tester. ok, i knew it was a prerelease but hey so much crashes are not to be released. i have some fear that this software may never run smooth........

and since i am a new vue customer i do not have any possibility to enter the vue forums since they seem to let you see only forums for software that you have registered and vue 6 does not have a forum yet.....

ok, back to checking features, restarting and checking features again.

btw. i use the floating license version and there is a popup opening constantly that the license has been successfully assigned. i did not see any possibility to eliminate this popup, any hints from you would be very helpful.

keep it rocking,
daniel

IvanB
11-04-2006, 02:12 PM
I think my head going to explode...I've just been playing with Hypervue....I tell you what VUE5 is looking real good..thats vue5!

Not only did it crash a whole heap..it crashes all the cows..Heheee, lucky ive only got 5 pc's...Its probably an issue with me having BNR nodes active aswell..never was an issue with vue5...NEVER!

I'm wondering if a fresh system install is on the cards.

Nothing from REALVIZ....actually, i might ask for a refund...I have syntheyes and read the, (HEAP HEAPS better) vue 6 manual, to find out (a bit late) the you can export from syntheyes to vue6...http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon8.gif not happy jan!..although MM is good..you can do motion capture pretty easy. Its a shame it hasn't got Lightwave export!

In all honasty, I'm loving Vue6, just gotsto work stuff out....You know I wish I could have bought Vue6 in a shop...so I could go and break their chops! for tech support...No more online purchasing, except for the xstream update..HEHEhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

Amethon
11-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Ivan, I tired a render cow last night and it didn't crash at all... are you using the same build number? Build 288166.

IvanB
11-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Yes I am using 288166..how many builds are there?

I got it to work for a small size and low quality image sequence..then I upped the settings and tried to use it, and when i chose hypervue is kept trying to run renderbull!

Man this is just not right!..gave up..its 3:30am..off to bed...try again in the morning (probably the afternoon.

Kevin Sanderson
11-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Kevin, Abraham? I know you two? Who are you guys at other forums? http://smileys.75thtrombone.com/suspicious.gif.

Hey Allison, I don't believe we know each other other than from posts here. I use my name or ksanderson or kevsan elsewhere, but I really don't post much...it eats up too much time as I'm a slow writer. I basically post here and at the e-on forums and once in a blue moon at Renderosity. Used to post at abbasite but that forum is now closed by Universal Sweden (I'm a big ABBA fan...especially Agnetha! :)).

I agree with both of you how much it helps an application gain respect when being used by a known quantity. It never will to everyone, but I do think it helps. I remember a Poser forum suggestion thread here awhile back where it got a bit heated. After I mentioned its use at Rhythm & Hues (where I was offered a copy but declined), that thread seemed to die a quick death. I think someone posted that a certain person at R&H had something to do with Poser's creation in its early days.

Personally, I don't care if someone used purchased models, textures, built their scene from scratch or painted it from a zero canvas. If the image moves me or causes me to take pause and think about something in a way I never before considered - then to me it is art. I've always believed it's in the hands of the user. No one will ever change my mind on that.

And that's the way it is, contrary to some of the louts who post at CGTalk and elsewhere.

I love how people shut up when cool facts are thrown in their face to set them straight. Glad you did that. They'll pick on Poser art and not fairly separate the bad from the good. It all boils down to the artist. I've seen crap posted for every soft out there and great stuff as well. I usually pin the attitude on immaturity and/or ignorance.

Ivan and others, I do expect there will be bugs with 6i, especially since it's pre-release, but please, if it's not just you getting familiar with the new stuff, and it's repeatable, do us all a favor and report them officially to tech support. You guys have more time to experiment apparently so it could probably get the software more bug free if you do. That's what I'm going to do when I download it later next week (if I have time :sad: ). My apologies if you already have officially reported them and got a ticket. Go to the forums after that, as often there's little help there except from a small handful of folks who know what they're talking about like Wabe, Roderick, Bruno or Fredric. e-on's Steve Bell drops in from time to time, but it's mostly users and whiners.

Amethon
11-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Ivan and others, I do expect there will be bugs with 6i, especially since it's pre-release, but please, if it's not just you getting familiar with the new stuff, and it's repeatable, do us all a favor and report them officially to tech support. You guys have more time to experiment apparently so it could probably get the software more bug free if you do. That's what I'm going to do when I download it later next week (if I have time :sad: ). My apologies if you already have officially reported them and got a ticket.

Does anyone else notice that Vue puts a vlog.txt 0 length file everywhere? I have it on my desktop, I have it in my documents... anywhere the program seems to touch stuff. While not a bug, it seems like a debug message that they forgot to turn off.

Kevin Sanderson
11-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Karen, I don't recall seeing it ever in Vue5i, so you are probably correct. Keep stompin'! :)

They had fixes pretty quickly when Vue 5i came out, so hopefully that'll be the case this time.

arry
11-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Kevin, thanks for clarifying above. I was racking my brain trying to figure out where we knew each other from. I frequent so many different forums, it can be daunting at best to discern where I may have "met" someone.

I hope you will continue to post when you can. I happen to enjoy reading your replies and how you express yourself. But I understand if you have time contraints or work to do. I'll enjoy what you can impart.

The only reason I've been here so much myself lately is due to both V6I's pre-release and being in between freelance gigs. When I am working, I have far too little personal time myself for visiting the forums.

Kevin, when you do get your new copy of Vue, I hope you enjoy it and share your thoughts. I agree we all need to keep in mind this is a pre-release and not a final. I've also yet to see a final release of software without some kind of inherent bugs. There's no way for beta testers to test every single computer's configs & I do think they try to catch all they can. Otherwise why would they remain on the beta team? I doubt any of them want to lose their "seat". ;-]

I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to try some beginner tutorials to better aquaint myself with the Vue interface. I just had a quick play and somehow changed my render to full screen only to discover I had no clue how to return to the default work space. Gack. I have mounds to sort through and learn. My mantra is "patience young padawan". This time, I do want to give Vue a chance.

Abraham
11-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Sorry Arry, at first I didn't notice the question :) In fact, we don't know each others, it's just the fact you mentioned 'sity which misslead me to believe you knew me from there :)

J-L

IvanB
11-05-2006, 01:52 AM
Hey Kevin,

Its expected to have some glitches...With regards to reporting bugs..I have to work out if its the software or my pc, I'm going to have to do a fresh install, then I can say with more confidece, hey this is happening often so its probably a bug...I think i'll do that, and see what happens with the activation aswell (wether I have to reactivate or not..I'd say I would). I'm also a frequenter to the e-on form, and have spent a bit of time chatting with those people.

Fresh install..OH my!

EDIT: I have done a complete reinstallation of my system, when I installed Vue6 AGAIN, I had to reactivate AGAIN...its working...Now its time to see if it crashes LESS!

Ivan.

Kevin Sanderson
11-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Good job, Ivan. Also, make sure your puter is getting plenty of air (clean out any dust bunnies) and the power is good. Those are big factors since Vue really taxes processors and memory.

Allison, will post. Thanks for the compliment! I decided to buy the new tutorial videos to see how the new features work and I've been studying those. Looks like we have plenty of control. Neat how they're doing meta clouds with spheres.

triztan
11-05-2006, 07:27 PM
IvanB,
please tell us your experience with the fresh install.

maybe you can tell us too in what occasions you have crashes.

i reported mine to tech support yesterday:
-random crashes after 2 minutes of work
-random crashes during main window rendering
-rendering in screen mode will crash vue after the second render
-license server popups occuring constantly, stating that a license is successfully applied.
-it crashes too in compatibility mode.....

the results of vue i got between the crashes where amazing. ok, sometime it renders long but i am sure some experience with it will make rendertime shorter.

daniel

sacslacker
11-05-2006, 07:31 PM
I think my head going to explode...I've just been playing with Hypervue....I tell you what VUE5 is looking real good..thats vue5!

Not only did it crash a whole heap..it crashes all the cows..Heheee, lucky ive only got 5 pc's...Its probably an issue with me having BNR nodes active aswell..never was an issue with vue5...NEVER!

I'm wondering if a fresh system install is on the cards.

Nothing from REALVIZ....actually, i might ask for a refund...I have syntheyes and read the, (HEAP HEAPS better) vue 6 manual, to find out (a bit late) the you can export from syntheyes to vue6...http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon8.gif not happy jan!..although MM is good..you can do motion capture pretty easy. Its a shame it hasn't got Lightwave export!

In all honasty, I'm loving Vue6, just gotsto work stuff out....You know I wish I could have bought Vue6 in a shop...so I could go and break their chops! for tech support...No more online purchasing, except for the xstream update..HEHEhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

You read the part about this being a prerelease so you knew there may be some hickups. Vue6 is a great leap forward from V5I. If you can't handle the bugs, you might want to wait for the final release no?

triztan
11-05-2006, 08:07 PM
i am sure all that buyed knew thet it is a prerelease.

here a quote from the e-onsoftware website:
The pre-release version is the last step before the official release of the program. It's a complete, fully functional version, and is the result of rigorous testing by our beta and development teams. However, before moving on to the final version, we would like to make sure there are no hidden bugs and glitches still lurking in the dark.

the thing is that after betatesting i expect some errors but not such a crashing orgie like i have now. i have only hope that the final product will crash 95% less than now. the crashes are even not reproducable in most cases. i do my best to report stuff i see happen often to the tech support. for me this product is ready for alphatesting and not for prereleasing....i think if seriously taken, it will take at least a half to a year to fix the major issues.

i would not say anything when working on a selfmade machine but i use an industry standard high end workstation and had never such hard crashes with all the other 3d and compositing software i use. so it barely is my machine messing it up....

another thing that would be interessting to know is what kind of processors you all use, maybe we can find out more on the crashes that way too.

i use a dual xeon 3ghz with 2gb of ram and a gforce quadro fx 3000 on windows xp pro

daniel

Amethon
11-05-2006, 08:17 PM
another thing that would be interessting to know is what kind of processors you all use, maybe we can find out more on the crashes that way too.

i use a dual xeon 3ghz with 2gb of ram and a gforce quadro fx 3000 on windows xp pro

daniel

I have not had any crashes and I have a 3.2 GHz hyperthreaded machine with 2 gig ram, XP Pro.

alvin-cgi
11-05-2006, 10:11 PM

daniel

Vue doesn’t like high end graphic card traditionally as I know, I'm on V5I and using cheap card (quadro4 380) and work pretty good (still crashes but far less than other people...) I been told this by a tech guys who knows from his customers complains, so… I hope e-on has fixed that bug on Vue6 before upgrade my vue...

By the way, how is the render speed compared to V5, you know V5 is dead slow on rendering…

Alvin

triztan
11-05-2006, 10:17 PM
i just installed vue 6 xstream on my laptop (floating).
i have the exact same crashing behavior here too.

P4 3 Ghz Hyperthreaded, geforce fx go 5600

as for rendering speed i cannot comment since i am a new user to vue.

digefxgrp
11-05-2006, 11:23 PM
So far all I've had is one crash and that was when I used the "view through light" option.
Other than that it's been real stable for me.
Running Vue6I on a desktop Core2Duo, Intel motherboard, 2gig 800 memory, nVidia 7900GTX.

IvanB
11-06-2006, 04:00 AM
Heres my small list of crashes.

*deleting a layer from the material editor, the bottom most layer,
*Mainly with hypervue, all is good with small images in preview render setting..but with larger images it works right up to the point of the node actually rendering..then it stops and the rendercow app on the node also crashes. has to be relaunched (will reformat node and test)
*When I point my animation to a specific save folder..it save to it own Vue6 folder.
*Not crashing, but prompts me for a tree texture when loading a tree sometimes. If i cancel then try it again it tends to work. Also when loading my old scenes.
*I just had to activate AGAIN!

Now with the fresh install, I'll pay close attention to the crashes and document them..Off to reformat node.

#Dont get me wrong i understand its a prerelease, so there will be hickups...I'm going to give the software a hammering and see what happens.

This is my setup...Xp Pro 32bit..2gigs ram, Gforce 6600, 2.8gig cpu. home special...Vue5 was extemely stable for me. so was hypervue.

The-G-Man
11-06-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm going to give the software a hammering and see what happens.

Sounds like Vue is giving you a hammering Ivan :D

Graham's golden rule number 9: NEVER jump in on a new software release.

Anyway, new toys aside, what's the rendering speed like compared to Vue5I?

IvanB
11-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey G

"Sounds like Vue is giving you a hammering Ivan"

Spot on!! LOL!.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif..I actually rendered a few scenes with my farm...THEN a scene i was working on just crashed everytime i hit render (local..to screen render..not farm)

I got a feeling it might have something to do with when i include a airoplane (one i had to copy across from vue5 objects)

With regards to render time..I'd say yes!..better quality and more full on atmospheres and lighting setting (GI and the like)..I think vue5 would have struggled to render some of those atmospheres.

Hammer time!

Mike.H
11-06-2006, 12:39 PM
renderspeed and quality: v6i renders @ much higher quality at comparable renderspeeds with v5i, so i would say that it´s much faster since you can maintain your rendertime while increasing quality alot, and i do mean alot.

alvin-cgi
11-06-2006, 12:48 PM
hmmm... should I upgrade to V6X...:rolleyes:

frank10
11-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Did someone try the 'flickering' problem in animation?
I mean the problem described here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=242188&highlight=flickering

E-on stated they worked heavily to solve that. I'm very interested in this one.

the-negative
11-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I thought that was directed at Solidgrowth 4, whose only "new" feature that's been stated is flickerfree ecosystems...

By the way, there's a thread on Renderosity stating that if you scale the WHOLE scene up the "aliasing" would get less obvious. It may work for flickering objects.

assistant pimp
11-07-2006, 03:06 PM
I have never been so glad in my life that I didnt jump on a new release. I do plan on buying Vue6 but I will wait until the dust settles. Great product, but a very lack-luster company showing and planning/preparation. What Ivan is going thru would have drove me nuts...

Lets see some WIP renders now

frank10
11-07-2006, 05:36 PM
I thought that was directed at Solidgrowth 4, whose only "new" feature that's been stated is flickerfree ecosystems...

I was thinking the AA issue could extend to all objects, not only to the Ecosystem...
Anyway I'm interested to see if someone tried the new Ecosystem flicker-free (or semi-free :) ). I hope it will look good.

chippwalters
11-08-2006, 01:05 AM
I have never been so glad in my life that I didnt jump on a new release. I do plan on buying Vue6 but I will wait until the dust settles. Great product, but a very lack-luster company showing and planning/preparation. What Ivan is going thru would have drove me nuts...

I recently updated to Vue6-I and haven't had any of the problems Ivan has. YMMV.

Mike.H
11-08-2006, 09:26 AM
cant say i´ve suffered many problems like ivans either, sure some things arent 100% dead on, but that´s why it´s a pre release and as ivan himself said, thats the sort of things you do(have to) expect to get when picking up a pre release, so kudos as far i see it to e.on for releasing a pre release with an discount.

for me, v6i is working real good and better then i had expected it to do @ this stage but obviously and sadly for some it doesnt, hence the pre release instead of a real one.

jack: render quality is much much better, in my humble opinion that is.

meshman
11-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Anyone with a floating vue 6 on this forum?

I get the following message from time to time.

"Message returned by server:
License was successfully retrieved..!"

The message is mostly displayed while rendering...

triztan
11-08-2006, 10:24 AM
yes, i have too a floating license with the same behaviour. it seems too that all my 2 minutes random crashes come from the license server. as seen in the e-onsoftware forum there are a lot of people having hard crashes that have also floating licenses.

hope there will be something done soon about that.

btw. if you also have crashes, please post a ticket on the e-on support.

daniel

meshman
11-08-2006, 10:51 AM
I found that forum on eons site this morning after i posted here and i saw that i was not alone with that problem.... I reported that to eon yesterday so maybe they are looking into it...

I also tested to install vue on a 64bit system and there i found some issues when trying to start vue, it was complaining on the graphics card that i use. Quadro FX3400. Vue wanted to switch to a basic open gl driver but i dont want it to cause im using a maya 8 certified driver on that system....

Anyone using vue on 64 bit with qaudro 3400 graphics around that got it to open without error?

cheers
Peter

triztan
11-08-2006, 11:26 AM
i read on the eon forum that some users have also problems with quadro fx 5500. seems like the cards are not yet fully approved. anyway vue should work fine but you have to force it to use ogl by hand. sure this will be fixed in the final.

dan

EricM
11-08-2006, 11:51 AM
I stated playing with Vue 6 Yesterday.

Just did a few basic rendering tests with the exra content CD - No crashes so far (Geforce 6600 GT - 2 MB RAM - Nodelocked Licence)

I still have to push it a little and import my own stuff, but so far it does seem to render quicker than Vue5 for the same quality (I'm baffled by the quality of the new effects (metaclouds, spectral atmosphere), and it is grainless even with standard settings... which should help a lot for animations.

Regards

Eric

Lovas
11-11-2006, 03:41 PM
So for now more or less people are downloading and installing it. Anybody using it yet? Is it true that the pre-release is without the integration plugins i.e. it can be used only as standalone? If so, how it compares to Vue5? I tried Vue5 xStream demo but was put off by bad antialiasing of distant vegetation - all of the renderings had that grainy look. Acceptable for cartoons but useless for photorealistic renderings. Besides that, it seems that C4D integration was unable to work in the relesae 5 of the xStream (demo). Nevertheless, still much better than the aforementioned Vista Pro that we used on Amigas in the 90's (I still have the Windows version archived somewhere - but it is worse than the Terragen :) ).

So what about the version 6? Is the new distant vegetation antialiasing engine doing its job? What about the integration with Cinema 4D? And finally, is there any hope of the xStream 6 demo that would work with C4D as well? What about the clouds and skies in general? Any improvements over the Ozone 2.0?

Amethon
11-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Lovas,

I started using it and the spectral atmospheres are awesome. The spectral clouds also are a lot more realistic than the old ones. It seems to be faster than Vue5, but my computer is on the slow side so it's still taking a long time. The renders still look grainy though, but I'm sure there is some render setting somewhere that I haven't played with yet to make it stop doing that.

I played around with the new spectral atmosphere, clouds, and some metaclouds in the attached picture.

Lovas
11-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Akhiris, thank you for the useful feedback.
Impressive results with the skies, but shouldn't the vegetation cast diffuse, ambient shadows to the ground underneath? Did you use the ambient light rendering option? Do the new clouds emit diffuse light to the scene? Is it possible to render a 360 degree panorama from the standalone version? What about rendering to high-dynamic format (HDRI etc.)? If I use xStream inside Cinema 4D, will the mixed scene render properly to HDRI?,

I've been waiting long for this release of xStream as it would help me a lot in my line of work. Nevertheless, they will not see a single cent from me till they give me a chance to try it out in a demo mode and decide for myself whether it is worth the money, and more important, time to learn the software, or not...

And finally, has anybody here yet actually tried the xStream (v.5 or v.6) integration into Cinema 4D at all? I saw only the Max example on their site and it seems flawless. Knowing the today's software products, I know that there must be some "but"-s lurking behind - and I'd like to hear here experiences of people who actually tried to use the integration function with Cinema 4D - problems, bugs, solutions...? How it works with the Hair? What about the Cinema post effects, DOF etc - and most important - what happens if one integrate a, say, Vue scene with hundreds or thousands of trees, with a Cinema 4D scene (on a 32-bit system with 2 GB RAM)?

Amethon
11-11-2006, 05:18 PM
I don't have xStream, only the standalone Vue, so I'm not sure what the differences there are... but I didn't use the ambient occlusion on this render because it took so long to do it with global ambiance.

todd4cgi
11-11-2006, 06:40 PM
I've just started playing around with Vue6Inf, having downloaded the pre-release. So far, it's pretty impressive with the new features and improvements. It does render dramatically faster then Vue5 in my experience. Although I do suspect you're still better off with a renderfarm for animation renders.

I'm looking forward to getting a handle on the new Cloud tool. The results are downright awesome. I hope they would someday take the time to put together a tutorial or two on how best to optomize your scenes to speed up render times. I asked them about this at SIGGRAPH 2004 and they expressed ernestness, but I've yet to see anything specifically addressing this issue.

I work in visual effects for film, so I'd love to be able to add realistic flythroughs to my skill set. So, I can surely use some assistance in learning how to best create such an animation that won't render into the next century.

AnthonyC
11-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Anyone know if the pre-release version of Vue6I is 64-bit? I'm only going to get it if it is...I'm tired of seeing Out of Memory errors with Vue5I & Xstream...

Amethon
11-17-2006, 09:16 PM
I am not sure, but I think it is both. When I installed a render cow on my 64 bit machine, it came up and said "Render Cow for x64" so the installer was smart enough to know the difference. You might want to contact e-on on this one though.

Kevin Sanderson
11-17-2006, 11:32 PM
From what I've read in the e-on forum, the installer determines what your system is and installs the appropriate version. There's a special 64-bit graphic that is displayed somewhere in Vue (I think in About) if the 64-bit version was installed.

The-G-Man
11-18-2006, 10:29 AM
I thought things were going too well when I ordered Vue 6 Infinite pre-release yesterday, and found myself installing it only an hour after purchase. After loading the new rendercows onto my farm I loaded up a Vue5 scene and watched as Vue 6 crashed Hyperview. View started to look for RenderBull for some reason (?). I'll have to check the pdf manual again to see if I should have installed that, or whether Hyperview has just gone weird. Anyone else found this?

Perhaps I should have ordered the 'Pirates of the Carribean' version. You know , the one that actually works. :)

Kevin Sanderson
11-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Some folks have been reporting that problem at the e-on forum. Please report it to Tech support as well so they can get it fixed. Remember this is pre-release with the intention that users who want to stamp out bugs will help before the final release (part of the reason for the deal price).

I haven't had the time to test the network rendering yet, or much of the new stuff. Hopefully this weekend.

The-G-Man
11-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Applying the latest update has helped some. Hyperview didn't crash, but didn't render straight away either.

I tried it several times before it finally 'bit'. It then informed me that it could enly render with 5 nodes, and to purchase more if required. Despite my telling e-on, upon purchase, that I had a 20-node system I was upgrading from.

Why have a comments section as part of the ordering system if nobody reads it?

Frustrating .....

Reminds me of 20 years ago when you waited three months for a RAM card, the size of a 1lb block of chocolate, to arrive, put it into your machine only to have every other peripheral immediately stop working. You then rang 'tech support' for them to say "Hey, that happened to us too. I wonder what it is?"

todd4cgi
11-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Update? What fricken update? Do you mean there's an update to the pre-release and I didn't get an email notification of it? That's BS.

The-G-Man
11-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Update page here http://www.e-onsoftware.com/resources/ShowUpdates.php?ProductTypeID=48

todd4cgi
11-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks, Graham! That's very kind of you to provide that for us.

IvanB
11-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Hey, G-man,

Welcome to Vue6..I too want the pirates version! Vue6POTC.

How ya going?...LOL..Vue6 giving you some problems?..I think Vue6 is now giving us all a hammering!..LOLhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

EDIT: After installing the update, I found when rendering with hypervue, that all seems good now, upon launching hypervue the update kicked in..still some errors with assembly of an avi from temp images..but rendering out an image sequence..works well...The nodes diddnt crash once, and my scene with a plain actually worked (also hypervue does work with H2.5)

Heres the clip: Click_on_testplain (http://www.esnips.com/web/FlyOver)_

Ivan.

LuciaK
11-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Todd, I posted here about the update on the 16th when it first came out.

Update Post. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=430385)

The-G-Man
11-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Hey, G-man,

Welcome to Vue6..I too want the pirates version! Vue6POTC.

How ya going?...LOL..Vue6 giving you some problems?..I think Vue6 is now giving us all a hammering!..LOLhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

EDIT: After installing the update, I found when rendering with hypervue, that all seems good now, upon launching hypervue the update kicked in..still some errors with assembly of an avi from temp images..but rendering out an image sequence..works well...The nodes diddnt crash once, and my scene with a plain actually worked (also hypervue does work with H2.5)

Heres the clip: Click_on_testplain (http://www.esnips.com/web/FlyOver)_

Ivan.

Nice work Ivan.

I understand that this is a pre-release, so I can't trust it for production work right now. But the potential is good.

best, G

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2006, 01:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.