PDA

View Full Version : DPI Option in Vue Render Diolog

ozioz
11-01-2006, 08:44 PM
I wanted to ask before I try rendering my "vue" scene with this setting. If you guys know this settings in the main rendering diolog, there is an option called DPI.. I suppose all of you know What these three letters mean for the rendering results an printing process. Therefor I am not gonno explain How it works ( you can search for DPI in CG Society forums )

As you know; İf you wanna print your result files on A4 paper with an enough quality, you have to render your scene at 1800%1200 resalution. ( approximately ) we have to do this because Max doesn't have an option lıke DPI opptions in Vue. So you have to use print wizard and your resalutions must be as large as possible.. ( for 150 dpi, it is equal to 1800%1200 )

And here is my question list;

İf I render my Vue scene at 800&600 resalution with 150 dpi selected, will it give me a good result when I print my render files?? ( such as bmp or tiff )

Does it take to finish as long as Big resalutions take to finish?

İs there anyone who has tried to render with this option?

Hope I have been able to What I wanna mean properlly??

Mike.H
11-02-2006, 08:45 AM
anything thatīs commercial should always be rendered with a higher dpi in my humble opinion because you just dont know what will happen, the client might wanna go to print with your work, the client might wanna use a higher res for the web, you might want to use it for promo material etcetera so we always render our stuff with higher dpi settings aswell as higher x res, itīs always alot easier to scale down then the other way around and saves alot of time compared to having to re render it in the future.

as for rendering time, sure dpi might affect that but the render time is affected alot more by other settings such as lightning, materials, atmosphere and render settings and the way you setup your scene.

ozioz
11-02-2006, 09:57 AM
So I do not need to increase the resalution of the image. İncreasing the DPI volue will be enough to have good printed papers,won't it? I do not wana try rendering due to time constraints. ( It might take to finidh too long )

Thank you for answering my question but it does not seem to be as clear as it should be. Do you suggest me to render my scene with a higher resalution and a higher DPI ?? But I guess it will take to render too long. Maybe I should try rendering and go to print shop then fill you in about what the results will look like. ( bad or good, maybe perfect :)

Thank you again

Amethon
11-02-2006, 11:23 AM
As far as I understand it, printers do not see DPI, but go by the pixes of the image. So you would need a 3000x3000 image to print a 300 DPI 10"x10" print. I render stuff at these huge sizes and it says 72 DPI for the image... but the prints all came out beautiful.

Mike.H
11-02-2006, 12:50 PM
well thing is if you have a 3000x3000 render @ 300 dpi and your print shop feels that 200 or 150 dpi is good enough, quality wise, youīll be able to print it at a bigger print res then what a 1600x1600res @ 300 dpi would have managed to produce, and vice versa if the quality isnt good enough @ 150 dpi, your render will still be bigger @ 200 or 240 or if the printshop needs it/can handle it 300 dpi.

so my answer would actually be to render with a high dpi setting and a high resolution.
Of course if you do know that youīll only end up using your render for screen/web then 800x might be good enough, etcetera.

so thereīs no be all end all solution/answer to your question, but i do not waste time personaly with small screen renders since you can always resize a bigger render, thats what we go for, as big as possible (aslong as itīs inline with budget and timeframe that is).

BoBoZoBo
11-02-2006, 10:48 PM
DPI - Dots per inch

300 DPI is standard for print, that is 300 dots for every inch of print area you want. Screen resolution is 74 DPI.

At it happens, we can safely say that one pixel rendered is equivalent to one point in this formula.

So a 300 x 300 pixel image will be 4.167" x 4.167" (@ 72 dpi) on screen but will only print 1" x 1" (@300 dpi)

300 dpi is the standard for a good print resolution, but if you are making the file huge then you can go as low as 200-150. Some print providers use a different dithering pattern for large format prints that do pretty well with 72dpi, but go higher if you can.

So 800 x 600 pixels @ 150 dpi will get you a 5.3" x 4" printed image

Vue makes this calculation easy. Under Size & Units, go to UNITS and select Inches, then put the dpi you want in the box to the right, Vue will calculate the pixels neededfor the resolution selected.

ozioz
11-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Are you serious??

Do you guys think that I have my own render farm ?? :)

Have you ever tried rendering a VUE scene with a big size and high DPI volue?

Do you have any idea about How long It takes to finish??

I can tell you How long It takes to finish.

*** I choosed 1800*1273 pixels from the resalution tab.

I also choosed 240 for DPI

And Vue said that İt is gonno take to finish 65 or 55 hours ?!?!?!?!

My scene contains approximetaly 450.000.000 polygons. 200.000 of this number have been imported from MAx.... :S

Amy idea?? Any suggestion ?? Any comment??

Amethon
11-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Unfortunately, it's just something that you have to do.

The minimum you would consider for printing would be 150 px * number of inches on a side. But you should really have 300 DPI for printing. You can leave the image at 72 DPI, all that matters is the overall size of the image.

Ex:

10"x10" print at 300 DPI = 3000x3000 image @ 72 dpi
10"x10" print at 150 DPI = 1500x1500 image @ 72 dpi

You could try rendering a smaller image with an extremely large DPI and upsizing it in Photoshop, but I have never had good results with this.

ozioz
11-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Yes yes you are right. 300 dpi is the most appropriate volue to have good rendering result. I'd render my scene with your settings If I had a render farm. Unfortunately I am a personal user for now and I have to render my scene with the current machine I have and with this huge scene.

I adjusted the resalution 900*600 and choosed the 150 dpi. İt is still rendering but looks like It will not render my scene forever. .. Vue says that It will have finished rendering 16 hours later. That is great for me now. And I'll see what kind of printing quality It will give me.

On the other hand, fortunately; It is gonno be printed onto an A4 paper. I hope that looks good enough.

Rendering huge scenes with the big resalutions again???

Forget it, I don't think so... Maybe in the future ( 2082 for example )

Amethon
11-05-2006, 06:23 PM
This is pretty much why I've given up on prints. I had a 1024x768 render take over 27 hours to finish... I hate to see what the print size would have been. :(

sacslacker
11-05-2006, 07:40 PM
This is a problem across the board for CG. Rendering at the resolution we often need to takes serious time and hence takes a serious farm if you want to meet deadlines. This is probably the biggest issue for smaller studios with limited budgets.

BoBoZoBo
11-06-2006, 04:32 PM
I would also check with your local large format printer. The dithering used is similar to that of billboards and you get a better quality out of a lower resolution.

I have gotten descent prints with as low as 100 dpi. But only certain machines are capable of doing it. Ask for 3M.

jwhitham
11-06-2006, 11:33 PM
At the risk of further complicating things, I'm going to try and simplify.

As others have already stated, if you want to produce a high quality print of an image at 1 inch wide then it needs to be 300 pixels wide, if you want it 10 inches wide it then the image needs to be 3000 pixels wide, it's that simple. The DPI setting at render time has no effect at all on the render.

So what's the point in the DPI setting? Simple also, bitmap formats that support it, notably TIFF, record this in a header so that page makeup software importing such files can work out what size you intended them to be printed at.

Unfotunately I ran one of the earliest large format inkjet bureaus in the UK, and people saying "I took it back into photoshop and made it 300 DPI" not understanding that didn't improve the quality, just reduced the size, were the main reason I gave up the shop. :(

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2006, 11:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.