PDA

View Full Version : First Try At Model of Futuristic Gun

dmdude
11-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Hey. I just started learning Maya on my own about three months ago. I was told by a professional in the video game business this is the program to learn. I've played around with the program a lot and model quite a few things. This is my first try at the model of a gun that is kind of futuristic looking. I appreciate any and all comments/ suggestions since I have nobody to ask. Thanks.

nuclearbum
11-01-2006, 09:43 PM
draw a concept of what you're aiming for as this doesn't really look like much. the topology is random and not very efficient. start off simpler, and before you even start modelling, plan out what you intend to model, whether you draw your own concept or find one you want to use. planning we save you time.

video game companies use a variety of programs, so don't just learn maya, try to learn mroe art concepts and techniques, since many of those can work across multiple different programs (like making clean topology or making runtime efficient topology, short cut tricks to creat the illusion of detail, etc).

HellBoy
11-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Also whenever I tent to draw futurestic guns, I tent to use a real gun's image, and sort of manipulate it. And since this is for a game, plan your edge loops too, using a very transparent lines at photoshop helps too. Finally, use atleast 2 meshes for you gun, try not to make your model 1 mesh.

For your first try, you're there :thumbsup: just few more practice m8

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2006, 09:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.