PDA

View Full Version : Another portfolio to crit :)

ArchangelTalon
11-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Hey, dudes.

There's been a few portfolios going up recently which reminds me that I got mine set up a couple of weeks back but I forgot to post it up here on CGTalk for crits.

My main goal at the moment is to secure a work placement position for next year as part of my university course. I'm aiming for being a character artist (but I'd settle for environment artist, it's almost as fun).

I'm currently working on making a couple more higher end characters to go up there but we have to start looking for placements now and this is what I have so far.

So, tear it to pieces :) (http://www.hull-breach.com/Talon)

Neil
11-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Some nice clean models. I would like to see more original content in the future, because for the HL2 model for instance, you're automatically setting yourself up for comparisons. I would work on optimizing texture sizes a little more. On the steel street overhang thing, I would say you could probably cut that texture in half the size, since it's all really consistent texturing anyway.

Gamedev
11-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey James -

I was checking out your work a few weeks back. Found it linked on someone elses portfolio I believe. The site and layout is nice and easy to use, though the thumbnail for your props and other envioronment textures is a bit misleading only because there is quite a bit of work below it. I would say maybe break that down into a few thumbnails / pages. Maybe seperate the textures and props.

Overall the work is looking good, though most of the hull breach stuff is very desaturated. Some nice new color pieces would show off your texturing skills quite well. Keep posting more work and updates!

ArchangelTalon
11-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks, guys :)

Neil: Yeah, there's not a lot of original characters up there but character designs aren't a strong point of mine, so I find I prefer to model off others concepts. Not sure what you mean about comparisons, though. Do you mean with work done on other mods or with HL2's content? Good call on the street light texture res but it's too late to go back and change things now. There'll be a fair few variants of it in the game which should help justify the texture space taken up.

Gamedev: Thanks, mate. Yeah, I was wondering about separating the textures and the props (and if the textures are even good enough to be put up there?). Eventually I'll have map screenshots up there showing them all in-game, which should help bring it all together. I may still consider splitting them up as it'll get even more image heavy. Got some new work in the pipes but I'm not sure it'll be that colourful :x

smurfbizkit2
11-02-2006, 06:46 AM
The site has a nice focus, I really love it when the main page has the work thumbnails since it makes it much quicker to navigate.

Now, I am mainly a texture guy so I can't comment on the models much but here is my main overall impression. The textures are quite good and detailed (although not insanely detailed) but they lack character, that certain something that makes them pop out. Gamedev was right to a point, that yea they are very desaturated and lack much color but thats a symptom of the overall lack of character, not the issue in and of itself.

The purpose of showcasing the work is to get the stuff to stand out, and right now it doesn't exactly. Again I have to echo Gamedev on suggesting you put something with more color up...but I'll go a step further and suggest you model up a couple really cartoony, colorful models...like something out of mario or such. That would not only show more depth but give you a chance for things to pop out more. ;)

Something else that bothered me is that out of the beauty renders only the Theif really stands out. The Freeman and Hull Breach models actually feel like they are harmed a bit by the simple renders and don't look as good as they should in them.

Overall a nice site with some good work. :)

HellBoy
11-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Its looking cool man

strong character modeller you are :thumbsup:

Easy to navigate
Grade B on presentation
Overall, Naaiiiceee :D

Good luck man

SHEPEIRO
11-04-2006, 12:07 PM
good, can see your work straight away.

whats the need for a links page, in a portfolio, if you need links put them in the text

tofugorilla
11-06-2006, 07:43 PM
I like your props a lot. ('Cept the tree- I'd remove it and work on it some more.)
You are obviously a fan of halflife. :) I think your modeling techniques are great but I think as far as you characters are concerned the thing holding you back is your character design. It's not bad, but it is not poping the same way really good models do. You should take your concepts into the 2d fourm and ask what you could do to make it better. Anyway, hope I did not come off as too negitive :) Keep it up, you are very talented.

-Tofu

ArchangelTalon
11-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Cheers, guys.

Seems the biggest complaint is not enough striking characters. I'm working on a few more figures just now but I'm not allowed to show them yet. In the meantime, check out my Red Riding Hood thread for my progress on a character with more... uh... character (aka "pop") :P

Once they're done I'll redo the site. Learned a lot about good 3D portfolio site making and I think I could improve the navigation quite a lot next time round.

smurfbizkit2: Hey, thanks for the good crits. I'll work on showing off the characters some more.

HellBoy: Thanks, mate :)

SHEPEIRO: Yeah, I'm not sure on the links page. I thought it'd be useful to some. I'll more than likely remove it when I redo the site.

tofugorilla: Good call on the tree, I'll remove it. As for the designs, the only character there that's my own design is the rogue. Everything else is from others' concepts. I'm no artist, definitely not too hot with original designs :P

GradiusCancer
11-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Hi James, you know I already told you how much I enjoy your portfolio.

One nitpick I noticed since you posted here: reduce the space between the thumbnails so that they don't jump down to another row so abruptly. This way it's more likely to fit on a single page without scroll bars in smaller windows.

ArchangelTalon
11-06-2006, 09:45 PM
That one I can do quickly. Consider it tweaked :)

ReK0
11-06-2006, 11:21 PM
nice stuff. i tried to join hull breach a long time ago but was turned down. they are too much like nuclear dawn but nuclear dawn is better.

nice work tho.

ArchangelTalon
11-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Ouch :/

Cheers anyway :)

Delucubus
11-07-2006, 01:56 AM
Hey man, looking good, I'd agree with most of everyone's comments so far. The presentation of the HB stuff is looking good (now finish up the alliance models!)

Maybe break up the environment texture to a different section? So you're not scrolling passed the props and texture sheets to get to them.

-Revolver

smurfbizkit2
11-07-2006, 05:18 PM
nice stuff. i tried to join hull breach a long time ago but was turned down. they are too much like nuclear dawn but nuclear dawn is better.

nice work tho.

(appologies for the semi-off topic post)

I think its a bit unfair to compare the two projects. The only real similarity is in their primary concept artist and heavy anime influence. Past that ND is grittier and more realism based while Hull Breach is far more futuristic.

Both seem to be great projects, although ND is clearly much further along than Hull Breach in development.

ArchangelTalon
11-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Heh, I wasn't gonna start a debate. It's a valid opinion.

We are fairly different projects (in as far as HL2 mods tend to differ). The only real similarities are on the surface stuff due to us having the same concept artist.

And yeah, I'm betting they're much further along than us :)

Tonedef
11-07-2006, 06:30 PM

nice work tho.

I too was turned down for a possition on the team, it happens. But you seem to have a lot of animosity towards them for it. Can't take the stuff personally.

The portfolio looks great, loving the props! GJ. (Very easy to navigate too, straight forward.)

pimeto
11-08-2006, 08:23 PM
very nice unwraping, and textures!

ReK0
11-08-2006, 08:29 PM
i was just breif with my statement, it doesnt bother me that they didnt want me. i wasnt very good and they had amazing concept artists.

i remember hearing that some of the guys from nuclear dawn originally worked on hull breach then took off and formed their own.

ArchangelTalon
11-08-2006, 08:41 PM
pimeto: Cheers, dude.

ReK0: The main concept artist for Nuclear Dawn left ND and joined us waaay back in the day... but that's it as far as I'm aware. I wasn't really around for the very early years of either project. I think we've only had one person jump ship to ND so far and that was so he could focus on animation rather than modeling :)

ReK0
11-08-2006, 08:50 PM
ya maybe that was it. i have the one that worked for both on my msn. hes a korean kid i beleive. used to talk to him but not anymore. in anycase the player models and conceptart for HB were very well done. but they are never in the news so i had forgotten about HB :p

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2006, 08:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.