PDA

View Full Version : bvh imports into motion builder

RaviTuls
11-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Hello there,
I am trying to animate a character I have in motion builder with bvh file data.
I have managed to import the bvh file into motion builder but I can not attach this skeleton to my character. Please help as I can animate the character when i have a skeleton in the fbx format. But when I try to convert my bvh file into fbx in maya the data is completely wrong.

Thank you,
Ravi

colkai
11-02-2006, 09:43 AM
As with any other import into MB, the trick is to have a suitable rig/character for the BVH data to drop onto. This is normally achieved by loading up the BVH file and picking a T-Pose frame if it has one. From there, you manually build the required bits for the character prior to characterising.
At that point, you can then drive any other character in MB to plot the data t oallow export to your preferred 3D package.

One thing I have noted, many times, BVH data can differ in it's structure and the number of bones / bone names can vary so you may have to build more than one rig to suit.

If it's any help at all, attached is a ZIP file with the various BVH rigs I use in MB depending upon where I've picked that data from.
..Scratch that, the pathetic 1MB limit for attachments on this board means I can't upload the full thing here.
Best I can do is provide a file with one or two examples, sorry 'bout that, needs must, you can contact via PM and I'll pass on my MSN / ICQ details if you need other examples.

RaviTuls
11-06-2006, 11:57 AM
thanks for your help,

Im working on it now but its the first time I ahve used Motion Builder so its justing taking me a while to get my head round the work flow. From what I understand the bones on the character I want to animate has to be the same as the skeleton in the BVH file?

Thanks Again,
Ravi

colkai
11-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Yup, otherwise you end up getting messages about not finding models and the BVH files doesn't "take".

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2006, 01:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.