PDA

View Full Version : Character: AKIMBO

LaughingBun
11-01-2006, 04:42 AM
Hello, im working on a character called AKIMBO he is basically an African War god. Im not to experienced as a character modeller, so i would really appreciate any mesh flow crits. The model is about 80% Ide like to here what you guys have to say before i continure. Im Shooting for 7000 tris, including a shield, a spear, and some ornaments for his character. sorry for the large pic :)

http://laughingbun.com/images2/Akimbo.jpg

Ghostscape
11-01-2006, 03:06 PM
The body looks pretty cool but the head is too small, and it looks like it's not properly connected (a hole in the back of his neck?). The head also looks like a childs head, not like an imposing war god, like the rest of the body. The muscle on the inner arm looks really weird, I don't have a muscle there on my body that I'm aware of, and certainly not one that could bulge out like that

Neil
11-01-2006, 07:11 PM
i wouldn't model in the nipples, it's distorting your mesh. The whole model looks a little too smooth. It needs some hard edges. The forearms especially look odd, liek the muscles are made out of puddy.

blacker
11-01-2006, 07:59 PM
I gotta agree with with the two previous crits. The main muscles on the arm should all be on the top of the forearm rather than the bottom. The overall proportions are really nice, but that head really lowers the quality of the model. You may also want to reduce the geometry there unless you plan to actually use the geometry for facial deformations. (If you don't plan to have close-ups for facial animations). I'd also zap those nips off. Small details like that can easily be added with a bump or normal map. What bothers me is that the legs are turned sideways.. you've got a hell of a mess if you're going to rig it like that and then turn them forward.. I'd detach them and rotate them to a z axis orientation. You're also using a lot of polys around the knees which is going to look a bit odd when you need to bend the legs. I'd suggest you keep the joint areas as clean as possible. Does your character need a humanoid head? If not, I'd check out Brandon Peterson's older comic book series Arcanum for good reference.

EDIT:) Character in Arcanum is Luis Benitez. You can find a picture of him by googling Arcanum Comic. He's the big rock guy.

LaughingBun
11-01-2006, 08:16 PM
thanks for the crits guys, ill definatly work on some of that stuff.

About the legs being sideways though, i plan on leaving them like that, thats the way i wanted the character.

Neil
11-02-2006, 10:19 PM
just curious, so is he gonna walk that way then too? Kinda waddling piddgin toed?

LaughingBun
11-03-2006, 12:12 AM
yeah, he will sort of waddle when he walks so its pretty slow and lumbering, but when for running he uses all 4's kind of like a gorrila, propelling his body forward with his legs and just using his arms to stablilize him.

Neil
11-04-2006, 01:29 AM
well even then, his bent knees would hit his forearms angled that way. I dunno I still agree that you should model his legs more straight, and then angle them after rigging it. I would look at videos of how a gorilla moves.

http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/Customer/SearchResults.aspx?searchText=gorilla&type=Simple

CGTalk Moderation
11-04-2006, 01:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.