PDA

View Full Version : The Withering Hollow [environment]

Faust_Dagon
11-01-2006, 03:23 AM
Did this in my spare time :)

screen shot taken from unreal viewport

I didn;t make this to be used ingame, just made a small section, for a few screenshots :)

crits plz :)

http://faust.obscurilateris.com/TheWitheringHollow.jpg

Junerahe
11-01-2006, 03:46 AM
amazing work! more screenshots?

Gamedev
11-01-2006, 04:19 AM
yea, its looking really good. I don't know that I like the overall yellow 'haze' - I almost want to see the opposite. Maybe just glows on the mushrooms and plants with a nice 'wet blue' overall tone that would better suit a cave. Great work.

Oh, where are you working thats using the unreal 3 engine?

GradiusCancer
11-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Very cool! Nice materials and prop placement.

This HAS to be based on the Warhammer Online Night Goblin Concepts, right?
http://www.warhammeralliance.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=245&c=2
http://www.warhammeralliance.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=244&c=2

The material looks stretchy on the lower sections of the walls close to the camera. Also there is a noticeable seam between the floor and wall.

I do agree the yellow haze is a bit strong, and it appears to make the whole cave too bright. Maybe if you cut some holes in the ceiling for light beams to come in this level of overall brightness would be more believable.

Anyway, I really like this one, and if it's based on those concepts, I think you can push the details, colors and materials a lot farther to really nail it.

kakikukeko
11-01-2006, 06:40 AM
very cool, I really like your texturing/modelling of the stone.. and the subtle ground fog above some pools..
I agree about the fog too strong, I would reduce it on the foreground, I'd like to see some lightbeams too! very nice work! :thumbsup:

doylle
11-01-2006, 07:54 AM
cool work, very nice. I gues you're one of those happy few that has the privilege to work with Unreal3 Engine. :D

My only comment is that the mushrooms are growing on solid rocks. There seems to be no dirt, or wide spread rootage to feed them. But that doesn't make it a single bit less attractive!

very nice job

Could you show us a whireframe? (mainly to figure out what objects are meshes, and what are Brushes/terrain)

ChimpanG
11-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Oooh you lucky cow, using the unreal3 engine. I wish i could :(
It's very nice, i agree with the yellow haze suiting a blue tone more... other than that i like it.

HellBoy
11-01-2006, 06:34 PM
My only response is...

wait for it...

...here it comes...

:eek:

Xisco
11-01-2006, 07:39 PM
amazing work, maybe for make a crit, u should hide the junction betwen floor and the wall.

keep it going man!

regards

Neil
11-01-2006, 07:55 PM
There needs to be more distinction between ground/sides/ceiling. Add moss or changes the color tones. Right now it just all looks too circular and overwhelming. I like the shaders!

Faust_Dagon
11-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the comments :)

I will tone down the distance fog, I wanted it to look almost liek theres a poison vapor in the air, might have over done it :)

I agree with all the crits, I'll make an update once i get back to work in a week, thanks again :)

oh, GradiusCancer, I did use those warhammer online concepts as a referance/inspiration, forgot to mention that in my original post :)

Gamedev, I am currently working at Ubisoft, Montreal. Can't wait to get my hands on the Unreal 2007 editor at home, never had the chance to learn unreals tools in alot of detail since I mostly did BSP textures. :)

Lluc
11-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Nice work!! :thumbsup:

How you render this scene? Do you use some game engine for this?

RO
11-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Really good. I agree the haze does flatten it out but man I seems if I go in I would get hazy. Shrooms.

Faust_Dagon
11-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Lluc, its rendered in the Unreal 3 engine, just took this snapshot from the viewport :)

ReK0
11-06-2006, 11:19 PM
how do you use the unreal 3 engine to do that? looks great anyway. i wouldnt mind learning how tho

F3D
11-08-2006, 10:11 AM
I didn't make this to be used ingame

thats too bad, it would be nice to see spaced out maps like that in say unreal tournament style games.
I'd like to see some life brought into this scene, say some glowing butterflies or some kind of pixies :D
some "dust" (pixiedust!) particles floating around maybe? :P

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2006, 10:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.