PDA

View Full Version : Blue shine problem

govindablu
10-31-2006, 11:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a challenging little effects shot for a little short. Basically I have a character that I filmed with 4:4:4. The characters skin is painted completely white with makeup. But What I want to do is add a blue colored shimmer composited over the character. The shimmer is going to be quick instant glimmer, but basically it is a glimmer that ripples over the character like a water ripple.

I shot the character on bluescreen and have Him keyed - but dont know how to approach this problem? should I shoot water and composite it as a 60% transparency over the characeter, or is there another way to accomplish this?

Simply put: It is a blue shine that runs over the character in the moonlight (One Dracula's Wives)

thank you
regards,

govinda

darcru
11-01-2006, 05:17 PM
http://www.trapcode.com/products_shine.html

This is a shine plug in you might want to experiment with to see if it does what your needing

thatoneguy
11-02-2006, 06:49 PM
I would use a luma key to make sure his hair doesn't shine, if that's your goal. I would also use the luminance of his face as a displacement for the shine so it doesn't look like a 2d effect.

govindablu
11-03-2006, 06:28 PM
'thatoneguy', i do not know how to achieve that...can you show me how?

thatoneguy
11-03-2006, 09:11 PM
http://vaporware.w3dzine.net/Swap/shim_displace.zip

If you have combustion 4 this should give you a general idea.

Basically I used the face as a key to use as a stencil for the blue shimmer footage (which could be water or whatever look you're going for.)

I then displaced it using a high contrast version of the face. This'll make the shimmer look like it's following the surface of the face instead of being an independent 2d Effect.

And simply overlayed the shimmer effect on the face... I have no idea what you want the shimmer to look like so I just did an arbitrary effect here.

govindablu
11-04-2006, 12:12 AM
http://vaporware.w3dzine.net/Swap/shim_displace.zip

If you have combustion 4 this should give you a general idea.

Basically I used the face as a key to use as a stencil for the blue shimmer footage (which could be water or whatever look you're going for.)

I then displaced it using a high contrast version of the face. This'll make the shimmer look like it's following the surface of the face instead of being an independent 2d Effect.

And simply overlayed the shimmer effect on the face... I have no idea what you want the shimmer to look like so I just did an arbitrary effect here.

WOW. that's it! that is exactly the look I was going for...and it was done all in combustion. I think I'm going to really like this package more over shake...

thanks again

thatoneguy
11-04-2006, 01:23 AM
I could probably build the exact same tree in Shake or Fusion I think the node in Shake for displace is called idisplace. I can't remember off the top of my head. And I know it has a noise generator.

CGTalk Moderation
11-04-2006, 01:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.