PDA

View Full Version : Sibenik Interior Lighting Exercise

asifsiddiqui
10-31-2006, 03:01 PM
Here is another one of the exercises i have been doing for faking the GI.
The Sibenik scene file has been downloaded from the NET and all the Lighting has been done using conventional Omnis for direct and indirect illumination.
About 51 omnis have been used with about 17 among them shadow mapped shadows. Rendering took about 2:30 minutes average per frame on 720x486 resolution, on AMD 900MHz with 256MB RAM.

Animation can be experienced by clicking here.
(http://www.savefile.com/files/212924)
Expecting your valuable comments please.

Do also check my other fake GI exercise, for CGI Click here (http://www.asifsiddiqui.net/artwork/fakeGI.htm) and for animation Click here (http://www.asifsiddiqui.net/Demoreel/fakegi.wmv)

Regards,

Tej
10-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Hello Asif,
Well in todays CG world with GI renderers like Vray, Mental Ray,FinalRender etc. i find it really hard to switch back to faking GI, although one of my other cgmate keeps telling me not to use the power hungry Vray or mental ray for my architectural work but in the end he too agrees that the quality of GI renderers is hard to fake and it somewhat shows that in your lighting tests. Well it does take a lot of work to get your omnis right and bringing down the rendering time to 2.5mins inspite of 2.5 hours per frame. But you got to deliver the production quality if you are faking GI.

Well overall you have given a nice try i would say, but you need to improve that to stand against the quality of todays renderers.Well study the lighting of other renderers or a real world scene and try balance the lighting a little more well, try matching the color of omnis to the color of walls, flooring or other objects and eradicate those a little bright areas and a little more work on soft shadows maybe? Or try using passes, ambient occlusion maybe? The objects touching the ground need more work with the shadows in my opinion.

Otherwise really a good effort to get the pain out of huge rendering times, but still i would say the thing needs more improvement both on lighting and texturing. Try working out to bring it out even more nice. Anyways personally I would use the GI renderers, but if you can get something better than this, then i may reconsider to use this faking GI technique in maybe tight deadlines and maybe learn from you how you did this? :)
Anyways Good Luck!

Regards
Tejinder

yogeshsherman
10-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Hi Asif ,NIce try
though you need a little improvement in your texturing as well as lighting but i would say try to Fake GI as much as possible as these days even bigger studios prefer Fake GI over GI .I don't know what may happen tommorow but I don't see much use of GI in animation though it is used quite often in Architechtral visulization or still frame rendering.I myself try to fake GI and can understand how hard it is to acheive good effect ,so keep on trying ...

Myzer
10-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Gosh! Lighting is so complicated!(sob*)
I'm working on it, too, let's cheer for each other: )
btw, I just looooooooooove your avatar! : )

asifsiddiqui
11-01-2006, 11:22 AM
I would like to thank tejindergrewal81,yogeshsherman and Myzer for their kind feedbacks. Am obliged to you all!

Well in todays CG world with GI renderers like Vray, Mental Ray,FinalRender etc. i find it really hard to switch back to faking GI, although one of my other cgmate keeps telling me not to use the power hungry Vray or mental ray for my architectural work but in the end he too agrees that the quality of GI renderers is hard to fake and it somewhat shows that in your lighting tests. Well it does take a lot of work to get your omnis right and bringing down the rendering time to 2.5mins inspite of 2.5 hours per frame. But you got to deliver the production quality if you are faking GI.
You are right Tejinder, all these renderer are being developed solely for this purpose, incorporating the Laws of Physics and Optics to support them. The results will definitely be realistic, costing the time and resources. Faking such effects manually require sharp observation as well as lots of trial and error tweaking to get comparable results.

Well overall you have given a nice try i would say, but you need to improve that to stand against the quality of todays renderers.Well study the lighting of other renderers or a real world scene and try balance the lighting a little more well, try matching the color of omnis to the color of walls, flooring or other objects and eradicate those a little bright areas and a little more work on soft shadows maybe? Or try using passes, ambient occlusion maybe? The objects touching the ground need more work with the shadows in my opinion.
Otherwise really a good effort to get the pain out of huge rendering times, but still i would say the thing needs more improvement both on lighting and texturing. Try working out to bring it out even more nice. Anyways personally I would use the GI renderers, but if you can get something better than this, then i may reconsider to use this faking GI technique in maybe tight deadlines and maybe learn from you how you did this? :)
Anyways Good Luck!
Hi Asif ,Nice try,
though you need a little improvement in your texturing as well as lighting but i would say try to Fake GI as much as possible as these days even bigger studios prefer Fake GI over GI .I don't know what may happen tommorow but I don't see much use of GI in animation though it is used quite often in Architechtral visulization or still frame rendering.I myself try to fake GI and can understand how hard it is to acheive good effect ,so keep on trying ...
Am really obliged for your kind feedback. Improvements highlighted are being scheduled for implementation in my spare time. Regards and many thanks.

Gosh! Lighting is so complicated!(sob*)
I'm working on it, too, let's cheer for each other: )
btw, I just looooooooooove your avatar! : )
Cheers!! :thumbsup:
As for the Avatar, its one of my artwork you can check at my online portfolio www.asifsiddiqui.net (http://www.asifsiddiqui.net) or CGSociety Portfolio http://asifsiddiqui.cgsociety.org/gallery/.
Regards and many thanks,

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2006, 11:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.