PDA

View Full Version : Critique my portfolio

Ghostscape
10-31-2006, 06:12 AM
www.ghostscape.com

I just launched this and before I start sending out applications and such I'd like to get some feedback.

If there are any errors, typos, awkward spots, design suggestions, etc, I'd love to hear them.

Please be brutal.

ChrisMann
10-31-2006, 06:30 AM
Hey.

Here's some crits for ya;

The vehicle and building modeling is efficient, good use of polygons to define the mass.
I would work more on the texturing to complement the tight low low poly modeling. The city block needs the most work, but all could use some more photo reference. Tighten the diffuse and spec before sending out your portfolio.

I can definitely see the vehicles being used in a hand-held environment or small unit rts once that is done.

Loose the Optimus and hand creature, it hurts your presentation.

Hope that's useful.

C.

yoyomon
10-31-2006, 07:44 AM
Noticed that your aiming for being an environment artist. Perhaps one or two more in different genres. A few more prop models will be nice too. Oh and it might just be my comp but I can't scroll down to read some of the description on your site.

LaughingBun
10-31-2006, 07:49 AM
what you have looks pretty good, i just think you need more. Maybe something allitle more complex too. I think your textures look great though, I would suggest doing some sort of a next-gen vehicle, or fixing up optimus prime and giving him a really nice texture.

Johny
10-31-2006, 11:22 AM
pretty solid work there ! i would get rid of the transformer thou , has a "i-got-excited-with-meshsmooth-" look on it man , brings your work a bit down :( still , i think you have some pretty good chances at finding a job ! :D

Ghostscape
10-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Thank you everyone.

I fixed the scrolling - you should be able to scroll in the bottom frame now.

I'm currently working on another environment that will have much higher polycounts, complex shaders, etc.

I think I'll probably get rid of Optimus, if not immediately then once I finish my current project.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Johny - it means a lot coming from someone who puts out as much awesome stuff as you do :D

HellBoy
11-01-2006, 06:42 PM
wow, its like right down to business, no welcome to my website etc :D

I would urge you to alter your personal details in your resume, like your phone number and address. Maybe have something like "Available upon request"

You know how to work with Maya :argh: we're actually starting this tomorrow (Thur 2nd) and I feel like a noob :D

Also, you're pretty good texture artist, although you're after a prop and enviro position, I think it would make you even stronger if you had one or two texture projects in your portfolio.

FINALLY :scream: , I would advice you to put more environment work in there and (maybe you're working on it) but a video reel would be cool.

I myself am starting to setup a website, I can't choose appropriate theme for my site :D

Good luck m8 :thumbsup:

ArchangelTalon
11-01-2006, 07:24 PM
I'd say some bigger thumbnails would be nice.

Possibly some way of highlighting the important parts of the description on the left (polycount and texture sizes/types). I find myself not really associating it at first glance as anything to do with the model shown. Just some simple bold text for the headings and statistics would do it. Hierarchies of large text > small text and bold text > normal text.

An option to view your resume online would be nice and I'd recommend you have a MS Word .doc version of it up there, too. Not everyone wants to/is able to open a PDF file.

Overall, though, it's looking good. Easy to navigate and no fluffy stuff or frils. The content's solid,though I agree you should ditch the transformer model ;)

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2006, 07:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.