ok i have rescently decided on a direction in life and i need some help
i'm learning lightwave and i love it
i'm learning c++ love that too
i want to focus on the game industry
online multiplayer and offline games
i need some more direction to find my niche
my questions:
programing languages used and their editors
other 3d aps i should look into (other than maya i'm looking into that)
2d aps (i'm proficient with photoshop, illustrator and learning flash)
some where to find info on servers. basicly how online games and servers work
and any other info that may be helpful
(i'm going to talk to my programing prof but i cant find him right now, hehe)

i use a mac g4 and i will buy a good pc someday

books, websights and, advice is what i'm looking for. i'm in the gathering of info stage
i need knowladge so i can plan my path instead of going blind like i am now
thankyou in advance for any help

suck
03-21-2002, 04:25 AM
- sell the mac and buy a pc. nobody uses Macs for game development.

- ASAP pick whether you are an artist or a coder. Although it is entirely possible to be both, get your foot in the door as one or the other. I've seen too many people waste valuable time overdiversifying. In order to get a job somewhere, you have to be exceptional at least one skill, and that skill will be even more specific than just artist/coder. And yeah yeah jack of all trades is good in theory but companies hire people to do specific tasks...

- being interested in something isn't good enough. you need to figure out what you are good at. If you're in the stage of life where you're not sure what your talents are, that's okay. Just don't expect to get a job unless you know what it is you can offer a company.

- learn to do research on your own. You are just starting out and have a million questions, but there are a billion answers on the web if you take the time to look. Go to google.com and type in some of the terms you are referring to. Learn to teach yourself... that is the greatest asset you can have in this industry. And although I'm not saying to not reply to this thread, become a lurker. Spend less time writing and more time reading... I don't think anyone became a better at their craft by posting 20 messages a day to boards.

- gamasutra.com

- polycount.com

bit

bzhavoc
03-21-2002, 08:15 AM
thanks
thats exactly what i needed to here
except the part about the mac.
even though i totaly understand that (i have no problems on either platform)
and i have been lurking and checking
i'm just impatient sometimes
the days and hours go by slow
but the months and years just fly away
and i dont want to waste no more time

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.