PDA

View Full Version : Move Center to Vertices with Axis Control?

huskerdude
10-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Is it possible to dictate the Y axis somehow when you move center to vertices? In LW and modo there are a few utilities that let you pick a poly on the object and use that normal to represent the Y axis of the object. This Y is used to define an offset with global Y and the object is rotated so that the 'local' axis aligns to global. Basically if you've frozen some geometry with a really awkward angle offset is there some quick way to reorient the geometry along a user-defined Y axis (either a poly normal or the normal of 3pts) ?

JDex
10-30-2006, 07:27 PM
I have a workaround I used before...

Create a grid* and rotate it with a Reference mode to the Polygon you want... in that Ref mode, type 0,0,0 in the Rotation inputs of the MCP (make sure to get them all zero'd). Now get out of Ref mode. Select your object's center and Match Rotation to your grid.

*Edit: LOL, the word "grid" might have helped. :p

huskerdude
10-31-2006, 05:03 AM
Thanks JDex, that works perfectly. Just so that I have it absolutely clear, here's the quickest way I could find to do a 'rest on ground' operation where the selected polygon on the object also aligns with the ground plane at Y = 0. (Effectively aligning the whole geomtry's local Y to the poly normal and then rotating it around to sit snugly on the ground plane).

1. Select the poly on the target object.
2. Create a Ref out of that poly.
3. Create a grid (or any prim/null) and in Ref mode zero out both the rotations and translations.
4. Match the translation and rotation of the center of the target object to the grid.
5. Reset the translation and rotation of the target object.

Would be nice to find a script that could do that!

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2006, 05:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.