PDA

View Full Version : LINUX-Installers 32/64bit confusion

themick_g
10-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi ,
On the download-page of softimage there 's only a 32bit version of XSI for LINUX available, but spm-server for 64-bit LINUX.I want to run a test on Linux, but what kind of Linux should I install? I have an AMD x2 4600, so 64bit LINUX should be fine, shouldn't it?! So why is there no 64bit XSI available for LINUX? Or should I better install a 32bit version of LINUX?(I m going for fedora core6)
thx for help!!!
mick

Noratio
10-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Hi themick_g,
there is no 64bit version for linux. I read somewhere that it should have come this year but it is not this far.

Running 32 software on 64 bit system is possible in linux and xsi didn't behave that bad on it when i did. This is not supported by Softimage. In windows if you try to run 32bit on 64bit system you'll run into problems, at least based on what I've heard.

I won't know best distro, you can read the thread at base, everyone have their reasons. My excuse to run older supported distro is that I know problems are less likely due system, and as experience has grown temptation comes to move on to something more efficient. There is list of supported ones at Softimages site.

I have no experience with FC6. Not always current xsi has ran on newest fedora, don't know now. If someone doesn't jump in and say it is great and marvellous and such, I'd avoid it for some time. With your proc I'm afraid you would run into problems with FC3 kernel 2.6.9-1.667smp, atleast I did when upgraded from singlecore. It just got wild at times and ran through all running applications making ugly changes or recorded commands to wrong window, network cable unplugged the same. Upgraded to 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3smp and it is fine. So if Fedora I advice choose something between suported and the latest or just upgrade kernel.

themick_g
10-31-2006, 06:17 AM
thx a lot for your answer!
cheers
Mick

themick_g
10-31-2006, 08:21 AM
btw, Noratio, what was your reason to switch to Linux?RAM management?Or do you have a workstation with windows and a machine for rendering with linux? Or both on two partitions?
thx
Mick

Noratio
10-31-2006, 11:49 AM
btw, Noratio, what was your reason to switch to Linux?

Bad experiences with windows. When I first was introduced with 3D CG it was irix. I spent ,many years with brushes and such, and many other things not described here. But when time came for XSI it seemed natural sollution. Was not easy at start and 4.2fnd was not very solid for me. Now 5.x is.

Open source

RAM management?

That is something I couldn't stand in windows. XSI has gigapolygon core now to deal with fragmented ram but still I find linux more stable.

Or do you have a workstation with windows and a machine for rendering with linux?

For plugin reasons I've set up win workstation atm, but will go back. It has gaming card 6600gt, I don't know if that is the reason but it just crashes more. I could try quadro on it but really don't know if I bother, no plugin is worth that, or maybe bhairy if comes in need.

Or both on two partitions?

I do set linux partitions something like as follows, and variations.

/boot
/swap
/
/home

/ is root, I do not know how anaconda manages them if you choose not partition manually. Later you can find these in /etc/fstab. Some do have separate partition for /temp too. It is more efficent to have /swap on outer end of non system disk, so when I partition new disk I try to set first ~2-5gigs partition on outer end later to be used fas other systems swap.

Before I set up file server, I had separate partition for XSI_projects.

Each system here has multiple disks and partitions. 2 runs dualboot to win, 2 linux only.

Also if you are just starting linux user you may stick with 32 bit first and stretch the limits when you feel comfortable.

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2006, 11:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.