PDA

View Full Version : BoundingBox selection

xcomb
10-30-2006, 05:28 AM
Well i am burning like hell, to find out how to setup this group node, similar to Houdini Group node.
Let's say i have sphere object and i want to select verteces by another's object boundingBox.
So i move my box bounding box over top of the sphere and it should select verteces.
I don't know if this has to do with API to create this selection in Maya.
Can some one tell me if there is any way i can select verteces by bounding box position?
I looked through maya help docs on bounding box, and man, i was disappointed, couldn't find any info that can help me to get started.
Thanks!

large-x
11-01-2006, 09:30 AM
You can use "polyEvaluate -b" to get the bounding box's min's and max's (x,y,z) into an array to compare to the vertices.

"-boundingBox (-b)
returns the object's bounding box in 3d space as 6 floats : xmin xmax ymin ymax zmin zmax"

xcomb
11-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Well i know how to get bounding box min and max, but what i am trying to do is to manipulate vertex selection by moving bounding box near them, so it interactivly can select verteces for me.
I want to write an expression, but i am lost as far as how to use all those min and max to enter the value and interactivly select them, it's similar to soft selection but i want it to be selected by bounding box as it moves near or cross verteces.

xcomb
11-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Bounding geometry. (Where applicable. Only works for point groups when selecting by bounding geometry.)

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2006, 08:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.