PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a method to get an accurate depth and normals pass out of Vray/Mental Ray

crossbones
10-30-2006, 02:41 AM
I am using the ZbornToy from www.taronites.com to work on a shot and I would like to render a depth pass out as well a normals pass. Can anyone give me a good resource or explain it very clearly.

SoLiTuDe
10-30-2006, 03:00 AM
for both mental ray and vray you can set up render elements (in the render dialog) and add a z pass (i believe you will have to set the ranges in here for close to far) and then also add a normals pass. Vray has specific vray "g-buffer" elements so I think you have to pick specific vray passes. ..for mental ray I don't think there is anything special you need to do, besides turn on the passes, but i'm sure it's a quick look up in the manual also.

crossbones
10-30-2006, 03:59 AM
how do you get a good depth map for an entire scene though?

SoLiTuDe
10-30-2006, 04:28 AM
i guess it depends on the size of the scene, you'll have to experiment, and it also depends on what you want to do with the z information really. Keep in mind generally you only have 256 levels of gray, so if you have a huge scene, large chunks will be the same "depth" (same gray value) though for most people and scenes this is ok, again depending on what is needed. I have no idea (just thought of it) if z depth works with hdr or something, cause that'd be way sweet... I'll have to look into that now. Either way, just make sure what's closest to the camera is where your zpass starts, and where the scene ends is where is where the zpass range ends. You can use the tape measure in the max to get a good idea of the distances you'll need.

"...Should the depth image be in float format and contain actual depth values, a multiplier of 1.0 would preserve the original values" ...suggest to me that hdr files could be used to contain depth... (would hold more value)... again only if this is a HUGE scene or something

Ls3D
10-30-2006, 06:43 AM
That is an interesting toy, I hope you will share some of your work and experience with this new technology.

-Shea

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2006, 06:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.