PDA

View Full Version : 2d/ 3d?

goldenkid1861
10-29-2006, 07:25 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/Goldenkid1861/2d3d.jpg

Just in case it doesnt load. The stlye that you see in alot of the naruto import games. Where they are 3d models but still look like there are drawn. Can anyone explain to me how this is done or can point in the direction of any tutorials. I use maya 7 just in case there is some feature in the program that helps make this effect.

Thanks for your help

Xisco
10-29-2006, 07:34 PM
just two words... cell shader. ;)

HellBoy
10-29-2006, 07:45 PM
someone has to code the cell shader isn't?

Gamedev
10-29-2006, 08:20 PM
for games, yes, a cell shader has to be written. If you are just doing it in a 3d package though, you can use a built in one. 3dsmax uses the Ink 'n Paint material type and Maya uses a similar one called Toon Shader.

Ghostscape
10-29-2006, 11:08 PM
for games, yes, a cell shader has to be written. If you are just doing it in a 3d package though, you can use a built in one. 3dsmax uses the Ink 'n Paint material type and Maya uses a similar one called Toon Shader.

You can actually do the "paint" part of ink and paint by changing the lighting falloff of the material to a sort've "stair step" pattern instead of the regular linear rise (which is how most cell shading is done). And the ink can be done by taking your model, duplicating it, applying a push modifier, flipping the normals, and painting it black. This tends to make very good looking game-usable ink. I've seen people make real time shaders to do the inking but it was based off of some OpenGL edge detection and looked crappy. Additionally, the flipped normals technique has uneven line weights, which you can't easily get through a shader.

Johny
10-30-2006, 01:29 AM
3d wise ( just for the outline ) you can select the model
clone
add a push modifier ( the biger the bigger the outline is ) select all faces, invert normals and add a black material.

the shader yeah , has to be written :)

TychoCelchuuu
10-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Maya 7 has built in Toon Shading (it either has its own menu or its under paint effects). It won't work in-game but it gives you a good idea of how it works.

Ghostscape
10-30-2006, 01:50 AM
3d wise ( just for the outline ) you can select the model
clone
add a push modifier ( the biger the bigger the outline is ) select all faces, invert normals and add a black material.

the shader yeah , has to be written :)

hahaha we posted this at the same time :D

LaughingBun
10-30-2006, 04:19 AM
does anyone know of a place where i can download some real time shaders, that i can view in 3ds max?

goldenkid1861
10-30-2006, 09:53 AM
cool thanks alot for all the help. Another quick question if you dont mind, but where can i find information for these kinda questions. I go to school for computer science, but they dont explain the process of making games and so on. I am currently working on learning c++. So I would like to find some background knowledge in game creation. It doesnt have to be and perfect definition just something to help me build a concept of whats going in the game world (like the cel shader and different techinques). Im not asking for yall to lay out source code (i can understand that part) or something like that. Just any websites you might know that explains stuff like the cel shader or other stuff like how a game camera works, how are spirit effects and in game etc etc. that (not asking for basic modelling tutorials). Do yall learn your overall game knowledge from school or is there some magizne or book i am missing out on?

Gamedev
10-30-2006, 10:39 AM
LaughingBun - does anyone know of a place where i can download some real time shaders, that i can view in 3ds max? Any .fx file will do. FX Composer from Nvidia comes w/ a truck load of sample .fx files. Download it and check it out.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/fx_composer_shaders.html

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2006, 10:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.