PDA

View Full Version : Bevel?

diginime
10-29-2006, 07:23 PM
hi guys, i wondering that why bevel in XSI is different compare to Maya? I try to bevel in Maya and i got the result i want, but when in XSI, it skrew up my model, the bevel width is not even, some is wide and some is narrow? Anything to deal with this? I'm using XSI 5.0. Thanks.

mrflynn
10-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Ithink you may need to try uniform metering (bevel option) perhaps that will work?

diginime
10-29-2006, 09:01 PM
i tried but it seems like the width for each bevel is not even. when i did in Maya, the bevel width is even but in XSI, some of the width value is bigger, some is smaller.

Meteoro
10-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Hey Tan, already discused here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=205881&page=1&pp=15

and the solution here:

http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=21478;start=0

Regards.

yog
10-29-2006, 11:45 PM
This caught me out several times at first.

The problem is when you have non-uniformally scaled at the Object level, but haven't frozen the mesh. The solution is to freeze the mesh before bevelling.

Another solution is to scale at either the polygon or vertex level rather than the object level.

diginime
10-30-2006, 01:28 AM
it still didn't help. The thing i mean is bevel edges.

diginime
11-01-2006, 06:37 AM
hey yog, thanks. I got it. Have to freeze all the transformation. Thanks :) I have a question here, If i didn't freeze all the transformation, then the bevel/extruding and so on will bevel/extrude on the previous transformation? Then after i freeze then they will bevel/extrude at Scale=1,1,1 rotate=0,0,0 transform 0,0,0 ?

grahamef
11-01-2006, 06:51 PM
hey yog, thanks. I got it. Have to freeze all the transformation. Thanks :) I have a question here, If i didn't freeze all the transformation, then the bevel/extruding and so on will bevel/extrude on the previous transformation? Then after i freeze then they will bevel/extrude at Scale=1,1,1 rotate=0,0,0 transform 0,0,0 ?
No. Freeze Transformations is actually a deformation, and it goes in the stack with all the other operators. However, you might be able to move the Freeze Transformations operator (actually the operator is called Center in the explorer) below the Bevel, depending on what else is in the stack. If the Center op is below the Bevel op, then the Bevel will use Scale = 1, 1, 1, etc.

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2006, 06:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.