PDA

View Full Version : Entering the distance for 2 points on a mesh

davan
10-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi there,

does anyone know a handy way to enter the distance of 2 points (from one edge) in SI units.

Like: Selecting 2 points - and enter the value in SI units - done.

Anyone ;)

TIA!

shadowedge
10-30-2006, 04:34 AM
There isn't any way as far as I know :shrug:

But I know of a work around that might do just what you're looking for. :)

Select one of the 2 points you want to move, then hold CTRL to spnap it to the other point, then enter the distance in SI units in the axis you want.

Hope this helps. :love:

davan
10-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks for you advice shadowedge!

Due to the changing axis of the points - its still not a smooth workflow.
Now I'll take a control object to moves more points at once & to snap - thats probably the only way of optimizing this whole process without scripting.

I even tried this 'spherize' (?) script from Helge M. - but it had a different approach - anyhow seeing from this script - I guess it could be scripted - just not by me ;)

Lets see who has some time & skillz ;) - just kidding.

kimaldis
10-30-2006, 11:12 AM
would you move both points or just the one. How would you decide which one to move if only one. Would the movement of the point(s) be along a line defined by their connecting vector?

If I find ten minutes or so I'll knock a script up for you.

depol
10-30-2006, 11:20 AM
and script for show distance between two selected points :)
'VBS
set v1 = xsimath.createvector3
set v2 = xsimath.createvector3
set v3 = xsimath.createvector3
set obj = selection(0).subcomponent.parent3dobject
set p1 = selection(0).subcomponent.componentcollection(0)
set p2 = selection(0).subcomponent.componentcollection(1)
set v1 = xsimath.mapobjectpositiontoworldspace (obj.kinematics.global.transform,p1.position)
set v2 = xsimath.mapobjectpositiontoworldspace (obj.kinematics.global.transform,p2.position)
v3.sub v1,v2
logmessage v3.length

davan
10-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks Kim & Depol,

I hope to make a better description of the problem with the attached image (a simplified version of the situation).

@ Kim
When I select points 1 & 2 - I would like to hit the 'script' button and have them on a certain distance apart - based on the connecting edge rotation. Than I would like to go on and correct points 2 & 3. Basically many points on this mesh have a slightly different distance - all I want it make them equally apart.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/8531/smproblempz3.th.jpg (http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smproblempz3.jpg)

@ Depol
Thanks for your script - but to get the distance is not my full objective - like I said above - its more about getting those 2 selected points in a specified distance to each other - based on SI units.

Maybe - based on your sript I'm just missing a single line of code, something like: 'v3.SetLength = 0.45' - but thats not correct as it seems.

Like you can guess - it would be great help from you - to show me how it's done!

TIA!!

kimaldis
10-31-2006, 02:07 PM
but which of points one or two do you want to move? 1, 2 or both?

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2006, 02:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.