PDA

View Full Version : Bow

ArchangelTalon
10-28-2006, 08:44 PM
The bow's looking good. There's a few you could probably cut out (the middle edges down the large flat bit above the arrow rest).

The bowstring is ridiculoulsy high poly, though. You could easily halve if not more the polycount there. 4 or 5 sides would easily be enough for it.

ArchangelTalon
10-28-2006, 10:30 PM
I think it's because Daylight Savings Time had kicked in when I posted it. I noticed it happen in a few other threads here, too.

Usually normal maps are used instead of bump maps in games nowadays, even if it's just a normal map generated straight off a bump map. Other than that, all those texture types are fine. I also think for next-gen (even current gen with Source engine) you should have a gloss map in there with the specular, too. It really helps add convincing surface texture.

kyuketsuki
10-29-2006, 01:33 AM
I would like some input on the topology and modeling approach before I work on it anymore and before I UVMap it.

Thanks!

http://wdcenterprise.com/Posted/BowTopo.jpg

kyuketsuki
10-29-2006, 03:20 AM
I reduced the string, I knew it was too high but I forgot to change it before posting. As it stands it's at 1840 tris. I hope this is fine for nextgen. Also, I asked in another post but I haven't heard anything. I use color/diffuse/specular/bump/reflectivity maps, which of these cannot be used in any engine? Which ones are unusual for game?

Thanks for the input ArchangelTalon. Is your system clock off or is CGTalk's clock off, why did your post come in as previous to my thread starter? Weird.....

kyuketsuki
10-29-2006, 03:45 AM
ArchangelTalon - Do you know what the equivalent to gloss is in Maya?

TychoCelchuuu
10-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Gloss in Maya is specularity.

kyuketsuki
10-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Well TychoCelchuuu, I suppose I have used all of the correct channels then (have you seen my Chota Nagpur (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=415771) thread?). Any comments on my tri count?

Thanks for the input.

CGTalk Moderation
10-29-2006, 05:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.