PDA

View Full Version : rsl: a question of volume shaders and ribgens

darktding
10-28-2006, 10:23 AM
After much reading up on volume shader in the docs, I am a little confused as to why there are 3 different rib calls to the same volume shader, namely: Interior, Exterior and Atmosphere. I can understand interior and exterior but why have the atmosphere rib call?
Also in the docs they have this really indepth article about baking volume into pointcloud and there they use the Atmosphere rib call on a plane which I do not understand, why not simply use a cube and why not use the exterior rib call? I can see that by moving the point ahead from the plane they can save it in a pointcloud and get a volumous pointcloud, but is that why we use atmosphere? To render a volume in prman even though the surface is a plane?
Also another question I had was pipelining stuff using MTOR, how does one do pipeline stuff that happens when we make shadow maps, where they get generated 1st then the scene is rendered later. Is there any examples that can show how to use alfred to do such things? I know we can use adaptors, but I am using a rib generator and the shader is gets appended during the ribgen, hence I am not sure how do go about this. I can put and if else during ribbing but how can I tell alfred to use the ribgen twice with different arguments...
Thanks in advance for any help given.

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2006, 10:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.