PDA

View Full Version : baking wrap deformers to joints?

neonoodle
10-27-2006, 07:02 PM
I have a skin that's wrap deformed to a lower poly skin that's attached to joints. Is there any way to get rid of the middle man and bake the weights of the wrap onto the joints so that it's a regular skinCluster and not a wrap deformer?

hibigibees
10-28-2006, 09:22 AM
hi,
its should be possible.. but the parameter that will make the difference is the max distance in skinwrap node... I mean according to me a world space skinweights copy should give u almost the same result but its based on the max distance in skinwrap.. if its more, then the skinCluster behaviour on the high resl will be less than the skinwrap's effect...
but its possilble to do it...
the other way of baking the whole deformation thing is to bake it to blendshapes on perframe basis using some scipts, ck out in highend3d or search in google for the script which bakes out any kinda deformation to a single blendshape node ...

PosingMantis
10-28-2006, 10:55 AM
If you want to cut down work in skinning a high res mesh by wrapping it around the skinned low res then instead of wrapping, you can use a script called skinXfer by David Lo.
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/animation/3509.html

You can skin low res and transfer to high res any number of times untill you get satisfactory results. You can get about 95% skinning done on the high res in reasonably less time. Then you might need to tweak that extra 5%. But its worth spending that little extra time to avoid wrap deformer manace!

neonoodle
11-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the responses, I'll check out the skinXfer script and see if I could incorporate it.

CGTalk Moderation
11-02-2006, 07:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.